Happy Birthday General. - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
You would have a hard time being more condescending than calling a southerner boy...

Just making a point. Not taking sides but I would have served in the ranks of this General.
It was just in the movie. When the solder with a rifle first opened the hatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:01 AM

Found this historical account. A lot of hard feelings on both sides.

The details of the Confederate attack on the Union garrison at Fort Pillow on 12 April 1864 were disputed until relatively recently. This is due to the massacre that followed, and the relief to be had in supposing it a fiction. Yet the events that took place in Tennessee are indeed fact.

Having overwhelmed the Union soldiers holed up there, Confederate troops led by Nathan Bedford Forrest refused to accept the surrender of black Union soldiers and their white officers. This was in part down to the Confederacy’s failure to see black soldiers as legitimate prisoners of war. Confederate Congress even declared that white officers in charge of black soldiers were inciting “servile insurrection” and could, if captured, “be put to death or punished”. Despite surrendering, an unknown number of white and black Union soldiers were shot rather than taken prisoner.

Most Southerners denied the massacre while the North promised an eye-for-an-eye retribution. General Sherman of the Union Army decreed: “There will never be peace in Tennessee until Forrest is dead”.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Just like the times we live in.....modern people judging those that came before without considering the time they lived in or the circumstance surrounding them.
Forest was a brilliant leader......and they still study his tactics.

Something like a monday morning quarterback saying if only they'd have found the tight end over the middle.....

Forest, as well as Sherman, did what they had to do.......just like Truman chose to drop the atomic bomb.....guess in another few years he'll be labeled a racist mass murderer.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 PM

I did not read any judgement in the report at all. It just reported what happened at that particular battle. And Forest was the commanding officer. Soldiers that surrendered were shot. Where is the judgement in that? It either happened or it didn't. History should never be judged by out present beliefs. But neither should it be ignored. What happened back then happened or it didn't. How do we learn from history if we deny it?
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I did not read any judgement in the report at all.

If you do not see "any judgement" in that passage, your reading skills are lacking.

Aim small, miss small!!!
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Dee

I work with a woman born, in Texas, but raised in England.
Her computer mouse is a mini cooper replica, and she brought her on office chair which has been professionally covered with a British flag seat.

She tells me the United States is still "a British colony".

Insult?

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:39 PM

Hard to tell without context. You could encourage her. Saying...Yes cotton and tobacco shipments are good this year and the East India Company is showing record profits.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Dee

LOL, I haven't quite figured her out yet. She has long, straight, very BLACK hair, and dresses similar, but not goth, lots of tattoos, and peculiar acting while polite. . She's fiftyish, and odd.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Being born in the north , but having lived in the south for quite a few years, I have a place in my heart for both..tfor different reasons. Thus I haveno dog in the fight either.

Nathan Bedford Forrest..was once asked by an enlisted man, what was meant by "logistics". Old Nathan had down to earth answer..

He said logistics id "being there, firstest with the moistest

Forest gets hammered for being one of the founders of the Ku Klux Klan. Not completely accurate. He was indeed one of the founders of the Kuklos circle. a band of about half dozen confederate veterans..

I guess much like the starting of the GAR Grand Army of the Republic..or American legion..

Problem is, the Kuklos Circle rather went "off the rails" and eventually became the Klan.

I understand the Kuklos Circle was a type of defensive group to start. In order to understand the reason for confederate veterans to form defensive groups, one has to understand the nature of carpetbaggers & scalawags.

Yes, the north also had great generals and some bummers...

If I were to confederate generals to respect, they would be Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

Lee for his tactics, Jackson for his tenacity, and both for their Christian testimony.

One of the Union officers I admire the most, wasn't a general at all. It was Col. Joshua Chamberlain.

Chamberlain (20th Maine) Held Llittle Roundtop under 3 charges, even though his troops were out of ammo during the last charge, and faced it with bayonets.

Little Round top, was the key point in the war.. Therefore; the Col. held the key point that turned the battle of Gettysburg. Gettysburg was the turning point of the war, so he more than any single man, was responsible for winning the war.

I have admiration for Gen G.A.Custer ..for his reckless courage during the Civil War..he was also the youngest general in the Union Army, at 23.

Chamberlain at Little Round Top !

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 10-08-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Dee

Nathan Bedford Forest renounced the KKK, fought to totally disband it, renounced racism, and in 1875, led the fight to allow blacks into law school.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page