Graybeard Outdoors banner

Excalibur Pheonix Pkg.

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  GregP42 
#1 ·
Just looking for thoughts on this x-bow. I'd like to get into x-bow & x-bow hunting and this seems to be a good starter x-bow. I prefer the recurve style x-bow and this model fits my budget. Any comments?

See less See more
#3 ·
I am also curious if this set-up would drop a hog or moose let alone a deer? I'll more than likely start with deer, just curious that's all. I should also add, the reason I'm looking at the crossbow is I have a shoulder(left) injury that I've been carrying for the last 10yrs or so. I shoot a Mathews Switchback XT but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to continue?
Would a crossbow be easier on my shoulder or not?

#4 ·
I too have a bum shoulder actually both need surgery but my right is getting to the point I'm no longer certain it's gonna out last me and I might be forced to have the surgery I keep putting off. So I thought I'd give a cross bow a try since I can no longer pull standard bows.

What I found was I couldn't cock the cross bow either. I was completely unable to pull it by hand even using both hands. So I tried a rope device and was also unable to cock it back with that. I got the crank device for it and was able to cock it with that once but it broke on the second attempt. I was using a Horton so what happened to it is not a reflection on the much better quality unit you are looking at.

When I was younger I was easily able to pull, hold and even release without firing bows of 90-100 pound pull weight. With my arthritis and bum shoulders now I can't even cock a cross bow.

Before you buy I'd recommend you make certain you can pull it back far enough to fully cock and use it. For me that for sure would mean buying one of the crank devices.

#6 ·
I have the exocet, only 30 dollars more and 25 fps faster (330 fps w/ 350 gr). I can't say anything bad about it. Used it for two years now to extend the season. I have taken 2 elk and 2 mulies with it, both 1 each year. Longest elk shot was 46 yards. So yes plenty of power for elk hunting. I will give you a link to a good store to buy from they are very good folks. First one I got had a warped limb. Sent it back with no questions, got a new one and the store reimbursed shipping. The warp was from a dent in the box incrued in shipping.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Excalibur_Crossbow.html

On the horton crank I use it on this. I too couldn't work it. I took the handle off. Threaded a nut on and use an 18v cordless drill to cock it. Just for reference it's a ryobi, I know some have more torque than others.

#8 ·
Not to hijack your thread on the Pheonix, but I would suggest that no matter which bow you buy, get their hand crank device.
You may not need it now, but some day you will. Also it makes for more accurate centering of the string. They are great gadgets, why strain your arms and shoulders more than need be.

After 3 shoulder surgeries I would not be able to shoot mine without the crank.

Graybeard, You are right, a few pains is better than pushing up dirt.

#9 ·
i do believe that the phoenix will harvest any big game in north america. many big moose have been taken with the vixen and its smaller at 150 lbs. i have taken 3 deer this year with mine using 400 gr arrows all pass thru's

#10 ·
Well, I had my 2nd MRI/Arthrogram done yesterday on my shoulder. After a quick talk with my Dr. she told me that there is definately some cartilage & ligament damage that basically NEVER had any time to heal since the 1st reported injury (Sept. 1998). My next appointment is'nt until Feb 10th so then I'll get the results of yesterdays arthrogram and that'll tell me if a cross bow is in my future or none at all including bow.

#11 ·
Excalibur's are Great Bows. I like Tokenkopf Have an Exocet. I've had it for three years now and Love it. Excalibur stands Behind their Bows and scopes Very well. Dan Miller In Sardis, Ohio Is the main US Dealer and He and a few Others make All the strings and a Few other parts in his Home. I use the Rope cock er which Reduces a 200lb Draw down to 100lb. I have seen and Tried their crank Cocker and it works well Just not very fast. As for what a X-bow will kill. Go to Excalibur's website and watch the Movie of The Elephant Hunt. Dan built the arrow For Bill I can't remember the exact weight But if I recall it was something like 750gr. Kinda neet to listen to Dan tell the story Of the hunt.

#13 ·
I have the Phoenix and like it very much.I bought it in 2007 and killed 3 deer and a turkey with it that season.This last season I killed 4 deer with it.It has plenty of power to harvest most animals.The only deer I didn't get pass through on were sharp quartering away shots.I shoot the 2216 arrows and 100gr expandable broadheads.

#16 ·
Huntsman1 said:
Tomorrow's my big day..the waitings over and I hope to recieve nuth'n but good news about my shoulder.
What's everyone shooting for bolts? Alum or Carbon?
I'm a carbon man myself...I'll save the alum's for target ;)
Well, looks like no surgery ;D :) ;D, the Doc said that there is some injury or damage to the lebrum(cup). "You'll experience some pain and discomfort for oh...say......the rest of your life!" It's been 10yrs already so whats another 50+ yrs. It has'nt stopped me thus far ;)
Aside from all that, I might just go a step higher with my X-bow selection and look at the Excocet. I'll just have to wait and see what my wallet feels comfortable with..................
Thanks All :)

#17 ·
Good Luck! Can't go wrong w/ either one. The Phoenix is Excals biggest seller in Canada from what I've read. I like the 200# models best, have had them all, lol. I'm shooting a LH Y25 now, same bow as Exocet/Vortex.

I have shoulder issue also and have no problem w/ rope cocker. Danny has best price I've seen on 'Crankaroo' $99 plus $5 shipping.

Bill's elephant arrow was 900 gr shot out of stock Emax.

#18 ·
Look around Is all I will say I just got home from purchasing my excalibur vortex. for 189 plus tax from cabelas. have to wait until april to purchase a scope as I need to wait and see if they remove the ban on scopes over 1X. If they don't i will have to look at the reddots

#19 ·
Well I was at Bass Pro Shops in Toronto Ontario last Saturday and was looking at the Pheonix when some strange approached me.
He asked me if I shoot the Excalibur Pheonix. I replied with no, not yet. He then stated that it is all the X-bow you'll need for any deer hunting and that he's been shooting an Excalibur for the last 20yrs with close to 200 deer under his belt. I said great, that is what I'm looking for..but then I added that there's a chance that I might venture after moose or elk. So he suggested that I move up to the Vortex or Excocet X-bow.
I do believe that I will take this fella's advice and save up for a Vortex package ;D ;D
It's nice to get 1st hand oppinion from someone with experience who comes outta nowhere.
Cheers all :)

#22 ·
I took a 265 Lb buck with my Phoenix, first time out.
I'm not sure how I managed to hit him ahead of the front leg, the arrow coming out behind the off side leg.
I blamed the stiff breeze at the time.
I was using Carbon arrows, and found half the arrow on each side of his trail. Very good blood trail, that ended in 300 yards with a dead buck
Easy tracking in deep snow, but my bad shot placement would have made tracking difficult without it.

On target, the bow is so accurate, you want to shoot only one bolt per target, 'cause you will hit your own bolts, and that gets expensive.

#24 ·
My dad also has one of the Excalibur x-bows. I borrowed it last year and I really didn't want to give it back. I do not remember the model it is except it is 250# pull, and the rope cocker works great even with my messed up back. I have one on my wish list now for sure.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.