Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Strange or Unusual Experiences In The Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/97-strange-unusual-experiences-outdoors.html)
-   -   The last Sci Fi movie I've liked (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/97-strange-unusual-experiences-outdoors/312913-last-sci-fi-movie-ive-liked.html)

Argent11 06-09-2017 03:00 PM

The last Sci Fi movie I've liked

Has to be interstellar. No slimy aliens jumping out of the woodwork or air ducts. Arrival, passengers, and like the new
Alien movie they weren't not worth our time. One we did like was Cowboys and Aliens that was a fun movie.
Intersteller as far explanations of what was happening was science, as we know it.

bugeye 06-09-2017 03:50 PM

I have never, in my 74 years, watched a movie or TV show that sci-fi. I just never could get interested.

I'm the elephant documentary type. but I did take my wife to dinner and a movie the other day, we saw pirates of the carribean "dead men tell no tales."
we both like Johnny Depp.

Argent11 06-09-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeye (Post 2055121873)
I have never, in my 74 years, watched a movie or TV show that sci-fi. I just never could get interested.

I'm the elephant documentary type. but I did take my wife to dinner and a movie the other day, we saw pirates of the carribean "dead men tell no tales."
we both like Johnny Depp.

To each his own, I don't care for Pirates. But I do demand sensible Sci Fi and not just another monster movie.
Like real life possibilities like Gravity or the Martian. No monsters jumping out of the air ducts.
Sci Fi sells right now. I don't even care for Star Wars.

Argent11 06-09-2017 05:31 PM

My age of Sci Fi books made you think to understand it. And it would educate you about a lot of things associated with the story. Not just assume you already knew, or didn't care to know. Because there were no monsters. Same thing like with Ex Machina or I Robot, which were us doing this not any aliens. Us.

oldandslow 06-09-2017 05:54 PM

I'm a big fan of sci-fi, both movies and books. One of my favortite authors is Dean Ing who has an engineering degree in aeronautics I believe. Some of his stuff dealing with drones many years ago is fact today. Another is Alan Dean Foster, a very prolific writer and one that spins a very good tale. They aren't the only ones by any means but a couple of the best in my book. While on the subject I'll throw in John Ringo, a guy that can also keep your attention focused on the tale too. Of all the authors that continued Keith Laumer's "Bolo" books his was the best of the bunch and that included Laumer's.

I liked the short lived series "Firefly". Too bad it didn't get enough time to develop a following. Joss Whedon does some excellent stories. If I see his name on something I watch it.

Argent11 06-09-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 2055122025)
I'm a big fan of sci-fi, both movies and books. One of my favortite authors is Dean Ing who has an engineering degree in aeronautics I believe. Some of his stuff dealing with drones many years ago is fact today. Another is Alan Dean Foster, a very prolific writer and one that spins a very good tale. They aren't the only ones by any means but a couple of the best in my book. While on the subject I'll throw in John Ringo, a guy that can also keep your attention focused on the tale too. Of all the authors that continued Keith Laumer's "Bolo" books his was the best of the bunch and that included Laumer's.

I liked the short lived series "Firefly". Too bad it didn't get enough time to develop a following. Joss Whedon does some excellent stories. If I see his name on something I watch it.

Then I like your kind. The right stuff was not Sci Fi but for me it was a great movie, so was Apollo 13. I focus on what we are doing not something imaginary. These are the story's of the early pioneers in space travel.
The new frontier. At least Passengers did only address that without the monsters.

p51 06-09-2017 06:47 PM

I’ma huge sci-fan fan but I like sci-fi that in my imagination, is plausible tosome degree. Star Wars you have to take with a grain of salt at least. Trek,you need the salt shaker. I love each, but you have to suspend a lot ofdisbelief to accept either.
TheMartian? Man, I loved the book and movie, as that’s something you can totallyaccept as possible in 15-20 years (the timeframe part isn’t likely, given thecurrent NASA funding and timetables, but you get my point).
Thefirst two Alien movies, I loved. Each were really pushing the science andplausibility of the genre, but you could watch each and think of that universeas real and someday you could walk into it. Alien was an utter masterpiece ofthe genre because the space ship was believable. It broke ground in sci-fi.
Interstellar?I couldn’t get into it. The premise had plot holes big enough to stuff a planetthrough. I have no idea how people can’t see that.
Ireally liked the re-boot of “Battlestar Galactica” on TV several years ago. Ithad problems and it got really mired into its own plot in the last two seasons,but it’s the only reboot I thought was better than the original.
“DefyingGravity” was a really good show that nobody recalls. Google it. It’s on DVD andI really liked it, though I never saw it on TV. It was marketed as “Grey’sAnatomy in Space” which wasn’t accurate at all and was played late in thenights. I international space agency conducts a several-planet tour of thesolar system, and you later find there’s an ulterior motive for the trip.Flashes back and forth between the ‘now’ of the mission and the training thatled up to it. I’m still disappointed it never made it past the first season.

oldandslow 06-10-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p51 (Post 2055122129)
I’ma huge sci-fan fan but I like sci-fi that in my imagination, is plausible tosome degree. Star Wars you have to take with a grain of salt at least. Trek,you need the salt shaker. I love each, but you have to suspend a lot ofdisbelief to accept either.
TheMartian? Man, I loved the book and movie, as that’s something you can totallyaccept as possible in 15-20 years (the timeframe part isn’t likely, given thecurrent NASA funding and timetables, but you get my point).
Thefirst two Alien movies, I loved. Each were really pushing the science andplausibility of the genre, but you could watch each and think of that universeas real and someday you could walk into it. Alien was an utter masterpiece ofthe genre because the space ship was believable. It broke ground in sci-fi.
Interstellar?I couldn’t get into it. The premise had plot holes big enough to stuff a planetthrough. I have no idea how people can’t see that.
Ireally liked the re-boot of “Battlestar Galactica” on TV several years ago. Ithad problems and it got really mired into its own plot in the last two seasons,but it’s the only reboot I thought was better than the original.
“DefyingGravity” was a really good show that nobody recalls. Google it. It’s on DVD andI really liked it, though I never saw it on TV. It was marketed as “Grey’sAnatomy in Space” which wasn’t accurate at all and was played late in thenights. I international space agency conducts a several-planet tour of thesolar system, and you later find there’s an ulterior motive for the trip.Flashes back and forth between the ‘now’ of the mission and the training thatled up to it. I’m still disappointed it never made it past the first season.

I loved Star Trek. Star Wars was OK up to a point but has just had too many stories now. The point to me is that it's fiction, not true science, but something that could be possible, maybe. In fact that's the point of all fiction. It tells a story that just might take place whatever the genre. It's something to take your mind away from your ordinary life and let you relax and your imagination run wild for a bit.

Argent11 06-10-2017 10:48 AM

The Martian, I loved the book but not so much the movie, to much of the story was left out in the movie. After the first two Alien became ridiculous and boring, so has the Terminator movies. I don't know what it's going to take now that the ugly, slimy, monster alien card has just about been worn out.

Movies like Gravity and the Martian did show that audiences were becoming more interested in real
to life situations.

gene_225 06-10-2017 12:30 PM

Have always enjoyed "The Last Star Fighter." In fact, we replaced our VHS with a DVD a few months ago.