Missing People in National Parks: New Question - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:28 PM

Lots of visitors to National Parks come from the Big City. They get lost. They panic. They make poor decisions. Some we find. Some we don't.

Day hikers usually aren't required to obtain permits or provide iteneraries. Overnight campers do and rangers usually patrol backcountry campgrounds. Climbers are another story, permit required and check in on return. No hunting in National Parks except for Grand Teton, which is well regulated.

I've seen hunters get lost within 5 minutes of walking right by me while I was hunting an open ridge within sight of the access road. They fired three shots, two or three times while we were sitting quiet waiting for the elk to come out of the trees before sundown. Literally walked right in front of us just 5 minutes before. If they were thinking they could have walked right back to where they saw us sitting at the top of the ridge. We found the guys, from Ohio, on the hike out, down in a draw. Just totally out of their element. Firing the shots before the elk started moving ruined our hunt that day. I didn't tell them off but I did ask them where they were from.

Sometimes the bears get a solo hiker or hunter. Usually don't find them. The buddy system is the best way to keep out of trouble.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Lots of visitors to National Parks come from the Big City. They get lost. They panic. They make poor decisions. Some we find. Some we don't.

Day hikers usually aren't required to obtain permits or provide iteneraries. Overnight campers do and rangers usually patrol backcountry campgrounds. Climbers are another story, permit required and check in on return. No hunting in National Parks except for Grand Teton, which is well regulated.

I've seen hunters get lost within 5 minutes of walking right by me while I was hunting an open ridge within sight of the access road. They fired three shots, two or three times while we were sitting quiet waiting for the elk to come out of the trees before sundown. Literally walked right in front of us just 5 minutes before. If they were thinking they could have walked right back to where they saw us sitting at the top of the ridge. We found the guys, from Ohio, on the hike out, down in a draw. Just totally out of their element. Firing the shots before the elk started moving ruined our hunt that day. I didn't tell them off but I did ask them where they were from.

Sometimes the bears get a solo hiker or hunter. Usually don't find them. The buddy system is the best way to keep out of trouble.
I have been puzzled for a few moments when I got into a large stand of hemlocks..where everything is alike and in a thick stand there is no clue such as moss growth to give a clue. If one doesn't act reasonably, he could wander in circles for some time before breaking out in the more or less "open" wood.

I reasoned the road to the north was a little used road..te road to the south was fairly heavily travelled, so after hearing trucks..i struck out to the sound of the trucks. After clearing the hemlocks, I turned back north..where I really wanted to go.

Since then, I carry a small, cheap compass with me when hunting in a strange area. I rarely hunt a strange woods anymore though, it is usually my own woods, or the woods of some friend...which of course, I am familiar with.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

a documentary i watched one time featured a police detective that stated
tens of thousands of people from all walks of life disappear in this country
every year never to be heard from again. (may have been more- i don't remember)
he also stated that there may be as many as 30 active serial killers that are
unknown of in this country right now.
robert hansen comes to mind. he killed steadily for over a decade in the wilds
of alaska until he was finally caught. it is speculated that he killed maybe 30-50
various women that they never knew of and that were never found.
he would have likely never been caught if one of his victims hadn't gotten away.
he's just one of possibly many that we never know about.
plus the people that just die or have an accident while out and about as
previously stated ^ ^ ^ ^ and their bodies are never found

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Banned

Maybe they were stoned or drunk and fell down. Help me ive fallen down and i can't get up.

Last edited by Niska44; 04-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
a documentary i watched one time featured a police detective that stated
tens of thousands of people from all walks of life disappear in this country
every year never to be heard from again. (may have been more- i don't remember)
he also stated that there may be as many as 30 active serial killers that are
unknown of in this country right now.
robert hansen comes to mind. he killed steadily for over a decade in the wilds
of alaska until he was finally caught. it is speculated that he killed maybe 30-50
various women that they never knew of and that were never found.
he would have likely never been caught if one of his victims hadn't gotten away.
he's just one of possibly many that we never know about.
plus the people that just die or have an accident while out and about as
previously stated ^ ^ ^ ^ and their bodies are never found
I think that is a distinct probability with some situations, and not necessarily having anything to do with national parks.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niska44 View Post
Maybe they were stoned or drunk and fell down. Help me ive fallen down and i can't get up.
^ ^ ^
some years ago a buddy and myself were way back in the ouachita national forest
camping out and fishing in the creeks and roaming around. while we were at one
creek at a steep bluff, three younger 20 somethings came sliding down this bluff
and stopped where we were and were huffing and puffing and all scratched up to
crap. they were in shorts and flip flops and reeked of booze and pot. they finally
asked where the bleep was the road, and we got them pointed in the right direction.
after about another hour as we had left and were heading back to our camp, we came
upon them again sitting in the middle of the path. they'd wandered off the trail we
pointed out to them because they really didn't believe the directions we gave them.
i guess they planned on just sitting there until someone came along and pointed them
right again. i guess if it had been winter they'd have froze to death and been a bear
or bigfoot dinner with no supplies or resources

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 03:36 PM

Gun Cabinet

i should also add ^ ^ ^ to this ^ ^ ^ that if we'd been less than
honest citizens and of the serial killer thug criminal persuasion that
there might have well been 3 more unexplained missing people
that were never to be found.
i can hear the banjos. . . . . .

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM

"i can hear the banjos"
That's funny..

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Video Drones make a lot of sense in rugged country. It is much easier to get video of the nooks and crannies than to try to retrace someone steps into disaster. Bones, unless gnawed completely by the local rodent population, and clothing can be identifiers. An adept viewer can spot these things. It takes practice, which I neither have nor want, and a steel trap mindset to not let you mind wander or "checkout" for that one second when the evidence is right in front of your face.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
Video Drones make a lot of sense in rugged country. It is much easier to get video of the nooks and crannies than to try to retrace someone steps into disaster. Bones, unless gnawed completely by the local rodent population, and clothing can be identifiers. An adept viewer can spot these things. It takes practice, which I neither have nor want, and a steel trap mindset to not let you mind wander or "checkout" for that one second when the evidence is right in front of your face.

Ain't that the truth. Any mushroom Hunter can tell you about how easy it is to look at something and not see it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page