Missouri's Castle House is the most haunted place in the Midwest - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Missouri's Castle House is the most haunted place in the Midwest

http://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/2...n-midwest.html

By Audrey Ference | Realtor.com

Quote:
The owners of the historic Castle House in Brumley, MO, have taken what is usually considered a negative for any home—its reputation for being haunted—and turned it into a positive. Billed as the Haunted Castle House, it's currently operating as a ghost-themed B&B, offering both ghost tours and overnight stays.

The property has even earned the title of "most haunted house in the Midwest." If you're going to live in a haunted house, why not have it be the most haunted?

The four-bedroom, two-bath house, built in 1850 by Dr. Walter Dixon, is called the Castle House, thanks to its unusual building style. It was inspired by a home Dr. Dixon saw in London, and its walls are made of thick, poured concrete (now clad in siding). It includes a 30-foot turret and a staircase that the good doctor had shipped from the United Kingdom.

The home served as his office, and the legend is that he made even his sickest patients haul themselves up his fancy staircase to be seen.

So why is it so haunted?
OK, this is where creepy things start happening. Aside from the usual deaths you'd expect from a country doctor's office, the Castle House has been the site of several major tragedies.

Mrs. Martha Dixon, wife of Walter, was a socialite who hosted elaborate parties in the Castle House for local notables and politicians. Legend has it that one Saturday, near the turn of the century, she was preparing to host her biggest party yet, but died suddenly before her guests arrived. Dr. Dixon found her body at the head of the stairs.

According to Dave Harkins, Director of the Ozarks Paranormal Society, over the last 100 years there have been multiple reports of "a woman in an antique party dress" lingering at the top of the stairs or haunting the second floor. She's also known as the "crying woman" or "screaming woman", and there have been reports of disembodied screams on the second floor as well.

But wait, that's not all! In 1862, Union troops bivouacked in the pasture around the house. After a guerrilla attack by Confederate troops, a truce was called, and injured soldiers from both sides were brought to the Castle House for treatment. Dr. Dixon had a field hospital set up on the south side of the house.

Several Civil War-era artifacts have been found in the area, and in the 1960s, local kids allegedly found a Confederate uniform in a bundle under the porch, lending credence to this report.

"There are at least 20 known graves on the property," says Harkins, and some of those are thought to be casualties from this skirmish. Which means there's a creepy unmarked graveyard on the property. "They had some cadaver dogs come out and found some caskets," explains listing agent Joyce Wheeler.

In 1912, the house was sold to another medic, Dr. Myron D. Jones. Dr. Jones also practiced out of the house, and in 1918, when the flu pandemic tore through Brumley, tents had to be set up in the yard again to house the hundreds of sick patients that he treated. The rest of the graves are believed to be flu victims.

After Dr. Jones retired, the house fell into disrepair for 50 years until it was purchased by the current owners in 2013.

As you can see, you've got more than enough restless spirits, between the unmarked graves and the soldiers, and the doctors' patients, and the flu outbreak, and Mrs. Dixon. But what are the ghosts actually up to?

The paranormal investigation of the Castle House
"I was contacted by the owners of the Castle House to come and help them understand some of the strange occurrences they had been experiencing," explains Harkins. He and his team of paranormal investigators headed to Brumley to see what was going on.

"During that preliminary investigation of the property, we experienced several strange occurrences," he says. "The two most notable were disembodied whistling that seemed to follow us around the property. The second is what sounded like footsteps following us in certain upstairs areas of the house."

And that was during the day. That's how haunted this place is. A few weeks later, they braved the spirits and came back at night.

"During our investigation, we had many personal experiences, including whistling, cold spots, seeing furniture moving on its own, and hearing crying or weeping," he explains. As far as solid evidence is concerned, he adds, "We captured several Class A EVPs or 'Electronic Voice Phenomena.' This occurs when we ask a question aloud and receive an answer not heard by a living person, and only captured on the recording medium, such as a digital recorder or video camera, or heard through a speaker or headphones." (You can listen to the recording here).

Oh, but there's more. Harkins explains:

"There is also a video shot in the upstairs bedroom that was used as the exam room. In the video, we set up a motion detector, and asked whatever may be in the room with us to manipulate it. We would ask the spirit to turn it on and off, and it seemed to react on command for several hours. There were three investigators present during this session, and all three of us were well outside of the motion detector's range."

Got goosebumps yet? They attribute the weeping to Mrs. Dixon, since that seems to be her historical MO. The EVP, they think, may be from yet another tragedy:

"We also think that the EVP we captured of the little girl saying 'Please help me,' could be the spirit of a young girl that was taken to the Castle House after being burnt over most of her body, after a large kettle of boiling water spilled on her while her mother was washing clothes. It is said that she died on the property eight days later."

So, yeah ... pretty thoroughly haunted.

Now's your chance to own all of this creepy, creepy stuff
After buying the Castle House in 2013, the current owners restored it to its former glory. "They've done a lot of rehab work, but kept the haunted look," says Wheeler. And because they're looking for a change of scenery, this horror-movie-in-the-making can be yours for the low price of $119,900. That's an almost unbeatable ghost-per-dollar value.

So if you're the kind of person who hears about a haunted mansion with a backyard full of unmarked graves and thinks, "That's the place for me," well, jump on this deal. After all, it's your funeral (cue maniacal laugher and organ music).

The post Missouri's Castle House Is the Most Haunted Place in the Midwest—Buy It If You Dare! appeared first on Real Estate News & Insights | realtor.com®.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM

I know this is a few months late, but I won't be purchasing a haunted house, anywhere. I've had experiences with ghosts and No Thank You! I am almost certain, although never quite sure, if the last one I encountered was Legs Diamond the gangster and I thought I saw him in the Adelphi Hotel in Saratoga, NY., and wearing a plaid or checked suit. He was reputed to have haunted the place (he liked staying there and liked Saratoga) and to have been seen by staff and guests. He had been seen walking the hallway and passing through walls, sometimes making noise as he went. I was booked into the room next to where he preferred to stay (but didn't know it) at the end of a hallway near a little used exit. It was not a pleasant evening. It was noisy and cold. A number of us had a $5 bet for whoever saw him first, especially if they saw him in his suit. Funny though, the guy who won the prize had no desire to collect it, and neither did I.
And on occasion I will be walking through my woodlands near places where old barns or homes once stood and feel the chill run down the back of my neck as though I am being watched, and know it. So no thanks on buying a haunted house or for that matter making reservations for a overnight stay in one of them. I have always heard that a ghost cannot harm you but I won't be taking up any bets on that notion either.... Just sayin'.......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I'm with ya Mike! I know that stuff is real and that's all I need to know. I have no desire to learn more. It is evil in nature and that is cause for me to stay clear away.

My grandpa on my mom's side who I had very little to do with as a kid was involved in some evil stuff. He went to meetings when I was a kid and I heard my grandma say that he was a Royal Dragon....whatever that meant. I also know that things in that house would move during the night. Somewhere there is a picture of my grandma and grandpa standing in front of the house. Plain as day there is a hideous creature looking through the window right behind them! I saw that picture at my high school graduation reception and have never been back to that house since. Grandpa died and grandma sold the house and moved to town and the folk that bought that house regretted it!

When I was in my BB gun days I went into an old brick hog house on grandpa's farm. The hog house had been abandoned for a new modern one next to the barn. Even as a kid I got a weird feeling when I walked around that building. There were old wooden hog partitions propped up against the two doors so I had never entered. However they had rotted and fallen down over the winter so I figured why not. Upon opening what was left of the door I saw a tall black man in bibbed overhauls run out the back door. The railroad tracks were a half mile away and seeing hobos was not unusual. However when I told grandpa about it he turned and stared towards that hog house and with a very stern but blank look he told me to never ever go back out there again. I was a dumb kid and just figured it was another lesson in staying away from the hobos. Years later I learned that grandpa was a Royal Dragon for the KKK and grandma said the he and others went to Faribault Minnesota in the late 40s to kill a black man. That is all that I know about the story because that is all she knew. Here we are way over a half a century later and the image of what I saw in that brick hog house is still vivid. For all these years I have tried to convince myself that it was a hobo when I know that it was not..........

My kids and grand kids have never ever heard me talk about my grandpa Jess and they never will. I have never been to his grave sight and never will. I would imagine that upon grandpa's arrival in **** he was quick to learn that skin color wasn't important but the color of your heart is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Here's what I believe.
When you die your soul (spirit) goes either to Heaven or heII.
The Bible doesn't mention any in-between I don't think.

Anyhow, I would stay in that so-called haunted house with no problem. My wife on the other hand, would not.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 PM

bugeye, none the less I am going to agree with gpa. I think that stuff is evil or has evil intent and I want nothing to do with it. Dang ghosts need to give it up and get a life, er sumpthin'. Just sayin'.....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike View Post
bugeye, none the less I am going to agree with gpa. I think that stuff is evil or has evil intent and I want nothing to do with it. Dang ghosts need to give it up and get a life, er sumpthin'. Just sayin'.....
To each his own.
After my Dad died I would be piddling at my workbench and get the feeling that he was looking over my shoulder.
But he was in Heaven, it was just that he had watched over my shoulder and critiqued my work so many times that I think my sub-conscience wanted him there.

The only evil in this world that can hurt you is the temptations that satan puts in front of us.

I'm betting that if you spent some time asking Jesus to remove your fears, you would find peace whether in the woods or anywhere else.
When a person obsesses about something, the mind magnifies that something.

My Dad spent time making sure that us boys were never scared of the dark or believed in the bogey-man.
Peace brother.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Paul tells us we are "compassed around" by those saints who have gone before, "they are not far off".
"Absent from the body is present with the Lord" as Paul teaches us, can be just in another dimension.
after all Jesus tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us and we know that to be true if we have grown in faith enough to experience Him.
There is a thread where Argent is sharing some interesting info on how these multiple dimensions interact.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:10 AM

I would stay there. Ghosts don't bother me as there is no such critter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
Paul tells us we are "compassed around" by those saints who have gone before, "they are not far off".
"Absent from the body is present with the Lord" as Paul teaches us, can be just in another dimension.
after all Jesus tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us and we know that to be true if we have grown in faith enough to experience Him.
There is a thread where Argent is sharing some interesting info on how these multiple dimensions interact.
They do interact. One cannot exist without the other. We were blessed, three is a constant like a triangle.
I don't believe in ghost anymore than I do aliens. Circles have no reference points.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-08-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in