Graybeard Outdoors banner

really odd

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Tom W. 
#1 ·
I went for a long walk out on some state land. was looking for some deer sign . what I did not find was any Mosquitoes or deerfly's no little birds . it has a swamp right in the middle of it , lots of water . What is going on ? not that I miss them, it just seems odd.

#3 ·
Well, here in upper Michigan the mosquitos are on the wane unless you get down in the thick stuff on a warm day. Haven't seen any deer flies for a while now. And some of the birds have already started migrating south.

All that said, I've experienced times like you're talking about when the woods seems devoid of any movement or life. Occasional times when there would normally be activity from squirrels, or birds, or deer or something moving, but there isn't. And you get the sensation you're the last living being left on earth!

#8 ·
I went down to my spot on my property this morning to put out and fill my deer feeders with corn and there were plenty of the pesky things but one thing we have not had any of this year is ticks, usually when you walk out in the field you will have one or two but this year none, now I am not complaining.

Deaconllb

#9 ·
I've noticed a lack of fire ants in the yard.., not complaining mind you, it makes it a lot nicer to take the trash container down to the road.......

#11 ·
No, they were brought into Mobile on a bunch of bananas from South America.
I believe Auburn University is working with some sort of fly that will lay eggs and the larve will get into the ants head and eat the innards, killing the ants... And as Auburn is less than 50 miles from here I hope some of the flies escaped an headed south!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.