The Sense of Evil. - Page 24 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 PM

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: The Sense of Evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNelson
..... And converts to Christianity in non-western countries retain this three-tiered view because the bible teaches that angels & demons are real.

I believe Angels and demons are real, but how do you figure they are "three-tiered" with just the 2 categories of them?

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNelson
..... And converts to Christianity in non-western countries retain this three-tiered view because the bible teaches that angels & demons are real.

I believe Angels and demons are real, but how do you figure they are "three-tiered" with just the 2 categories of them?
Angels & Demons are on one tier, middle: supernatural.
God is on the tier above them: Divine
Man is on the tier below: natural

Good & Evil can be applied to every tier ... unless you are Christian, then only good is present at the Divine.

The word "supernatural" itself comes from this historical view, it means natural plus, but still natural as in created. But God is not created, He is divine.
post #233 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Gun Cabinet

I don't think there is such a thing as a benign demon!

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:50 PM

I visited one of the most haunted places on this planet. The Warrens, the ghost hunters even said this place is evil, don't go there. I brought our dog there on the three trips we made into dudleytown,ct. My point is when going to know haunted places bring a dog. Watch the dog.
post #235 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11
Another thing about this hill and it is mentioned in that book. Where the house sits now is where a saloon called the pepper box once sat back in the late 1800s. It got its name because Cowboys would come in, get drunk and start shooting through the roof and each other over poker games. So no telling how many of them died up here. The saloon was still a problem even back in the 1930s, so the Sheriff ordered it torn down.
This is the same Sheriff that enforced the law back then carrying a Thompson 1927.

It's on display at the Sheriff department along with his picture holding it, alongside a picture of the hanging judge back at the turn of the century. So yes there is a sense of something around here but it's not always one that's evil, more like a sad loss. Smallpox went through this area back in 1897, and it killed a few children.
Their graves are marked in that same cemetery. Our first preacher went from house to house on horseback
carrying a SAA. I guess he wasn't convinced about the good will of men.

Bottom line, a lot of people died around here and that's all documented as the truth. And it's not unusual for
someone to call the Sheriffs department reporting that they think they have found a body or human bones.
Only to have the Sheriff investigate and report the remains are at least 130 years old.
Awesome history of where you live! There is a lot of Revolutionary War history in the valley I now live in. I've always been amazed by the history here. Sounds like you have us beat though.
post #236 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM

This thread has been going since 2007. I wonder if it is the longest lasting thread on this site?

A friend owned around 200 acres in a bend of the Hyco River in Halifax County, Virginia. I used to go there deer hunting. On a bluff above the river there was an old house. I had been warned to be careful around it since the cover for the old well had rotted away. Next to the house was an old tobacco field, now covered with fully grown pines. On that acre, nearly every tree had witches brooms. Those are brances where all the tips grow equally, instead of just the very end one. I worked a territory of about 2,000 square miles and only knew of 2 other trees in all that area that had witches brooms. Every time I went to that part of the farm, I had the sense of being watched. I knew a woman who grew up on the farm and she said they avoided the area.
post #237 of 261 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:39 PM

Just remember that, unless you give up the post willingly, you are the baddest thing in the woods. Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.
post #238 of 261 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, for making this such a popular thread over the years.

I guess I'm living a more sedate life now, I have very few spooky stories to tell.

The closest thing I've had recently is this:

On Superbowl Sunday, 2014, my fiancee was about to leave my house for the evening, and we were standing on the deck at the "road-side" of the house. Down the road a ways, a bunch of dogs were barking at coyotes that were howling across the river.

All of a sudden, there was a long deep howl, like nothing I'd heard before, except in werewolf movies and documentaries of wolves. The hair stood up on my neck, and I asked, "Did you hear that?" Viv said, "Was that a wolf, or are we imagining it?" Just as she finished saying that, it howled again. We weren't imagining it. All the dogs and coyotes were now dead silent. Whatever this thing was, it had huge lungs, because the howl was long, as well as loud. We both had a sudden feeling of not being safe.

Of course, DNR will tell you "There ARE NO wolves in Indiana!", which is what they say about anything unusual. It had been an unusually cold winter through late 2013, and I'd seen unusual animals in the area (like the "fisher cat" in the tree at the back of my house.) A few days after we heard the wolf, a police acquaintance on Facebook posted a story about being called out a couple of nights earlier, to his friend's house, where horses had been attacked. He's a K-9 handler, and familiar with pack animals and their behavior. He said the horses had torn up throats (I think he had to put two of them down), which is different from how coyotes bring down large animals (usually leg and tendon bites, he says).

The horses that were attacked were about 20 miles east of my location, which sounded like a reasonable distance for something like a wolf to travel over the course of a few days.

After the horse attack, there were a few sightings further east yet, where people saw "extremely large dogs" traveling in a pack, according to DNR.

They may not be evil, but a wolf howl will definitely get your attention!
post #239 of 261 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM

Didn't "waste" my time reading beyond the 2nd page - I will just add two items that may have been already been covered. 1st - if you don't completely trust your "6th" sense - you're a fool because that threat feeling should put you in code RED because nothing good can come from being in code white, yellow or orange when you get that bad-arse feeling. Sometimes "experience" will be the direct cause for that bad-arse feeling but you better make the necessary adjustments. Better to be a little "safer" than one sorry sick-arse with no place to go.

2nd - the American Crow can read your mind. He can sit 150 yards away and if you come out of your house or car with a shotgun with #6 shot, he will stay put until you approach within 80 yards and will then fly away. Come out with a rifle at the ready and he flies immediately. If you plan on opening a window and taking him without that crow seeing you, he'll fly as soon as you poke that barrel out the window. Have no firearm - you can almost walk right up to him before he flies. Takes a stealthy and knowledgeable hunter to consistently bag crows - for you that use an electronic call, decoys and a hide - I call that cheating, so you don't apply to my statement.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #240 of 261 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
Didn't "waste" my time reading beyond the 2nd page - I will just add two items that may have been already been covered. 1st - if you don't completely trust your "6th" sense - you're a fool because that threat feeling should put you in code RED because nothing good can come from being in code white, yellow or orange when you get that bad-arse feeling. Sometimes "experience" will be the direct cause for that bad-arse feeling but you better make the necessary adjustments. Better to be a little "safer" than one sorry sick-arse with no place to go.

2nd - the American Crow can read your mind. He can sit 150 yards away and if you come out of your house or car with a shotgun with #6 shot, he will stay put until you approach within 80 yards and will then fly away. Come out with a rifle at the ready and he flies immediately. If you plan on opening a window and taking him without that crow seeing you, he'll fly as soon as you poke that barrel out the window. Have no firearm - you can almost walk right up to him before he flies. Takes a stealthy and knowledgeable hunter to consistently bag crows - for you that use an electronic call, decoys and a hide - I call that cheating, so you don't apply to my statement.
Crows are smart they know what a gun is. They are also curious, we had one that would fly up and give our daughter a pretty river rock when she was little. It was fine around her but if I walked up it would fly away.
She would feed it pecans, crows love pecans.

Last edited by Argent11; 10-22-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page