The Sense of Evil. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Default The Sense of Evil.

While reading my favorite forum (unusual stories), I came across a thread by Echo4Lima, titled “What was it?” Fascinating thread.

His discussion of the sixth sense is one we should expand upon.

In writing my book on safety topics, I discuss this sense, giving examples from experts in several fields who recount personal stories of being saved by the “sudden sense of danger”. (Jim Corbett, numerous military vets, personal experiences, etc.)

One of my own experiences was during a different kind of hunting. (It was in the “outdoors”, so I’m going to go ahead and post it; I hope you’ll forgive me.) I was a Dallas Police Officer, training a new officer. He was much older than I, in fact, he’d been an Army Ranger during Vietnam, when I was only a child. Very level-headed, mature, and cool, as you’d expect.

We were sent to a “missing neighbor” call. Nobody’s seen the folks next door for a week. Papers on the grass, etc. Maybe dead inside, maybe gone and forgot to cancel delivery, who knows? It was about noon, in the middle of the summer. Not an intense call, and we’re very relaxed about it.

As we approach the front door, I start to get a weird feeling. Almost like a physical resistance to moving forward. The hairs on my neck were standing up, but I forced myself to knock at the door. I’m being watched, and I’m the example. I’ve got to do my job. No answer. I had to look in the window. I tell my “rookie”, “Hey, go around back, see if the door’s open. I don’t smell anything like a dead body, but if we can check, we really should.” As he circles the house, I screw up my courage, and look into the windows at the front of the house. Piles of books and magazines clutter the house. I mean 4 to 6 foot piles, or stacks, more precisely. I had the strong sense of something watching me, and a strong sense of evil. Like Echo4Lima, I found myself thinking; “If I go in there, it’ll get me. I’ll never come out.” I had a sense of something lurching through the darkness of the unlit house. Something evil. The phrase someone, never came to mind. It was some THING….

I’m not a religious person, I don’t hunt ghosts or panic easily. I’ve been shot at a few times, and am still here to tell about it. I’d never felt like this except in childhood nightmares. I understand about how the amygdala (primal fear center) works, and can see no logical reason for its sudden stimulation.

About this time, the “rookie” came back around, and said the back was locked up. I said, “Good, let’s go”, and we did. Quickly. About 2 blocks away, he said, “Man, I don’t know what it was, but from the time we got out of the car, that place scared the **** out of me! I’ve never felt anything like that. There was something evil in that house.”

I hadn’t told him of my fears, and we hadn’t been telling creepy stories beforehand, but we’d both had the same primal fear instinct. We talked about it (but only between ourselves) for days.

I never found out what was in the house, and I never want to.

And I never doubt that when somebody says they sensed evil, that they were telling the truth.

Gavin deBecker, in his excellent (except for biased, anti-gun comments) book, the “Gift of Fear”, says:

“Intuition is soaring flight compared to the plodding of logic.
Nature’s greatest accomplishment, the human brain, is never more efficient or
invested than when its host is at risk. Then, intuition is catapulted to another
level entirely, a height at which it can accurately be called graceful, even miraculous.
Intuition is the journey from A to Z without stopping at any other letter along the way.
It is knowing, without knowing why."

Echo4Lima is right. It is there, it is in us, and it’s for a reason. Heed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: The Sense of Evil.

The story is intriguing but what of the missing neighbor? Did they ever show up or what?

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I should call and find out. I left later that week for Indiana (became a State Trooper). This was literally one of my last Dallas calls. The guy I worked with is still there.

We talked to the neighbors via phone before we went, and the resident we were looking for sounded like a recluse. Being that it was in July and over a weeks worth of papers were on the lawn, I know we could have smelled decomposition. (Been there, seen that, won't ever forget it. Dallas heat is even hard on dead folks...) He could've been traveling, or wandered off and become one of the anonymous dead that were sometimes found. With no searching relatives, and no criminal record, a corpse can easily go unidentified for a long time. Then again, by the looks of the house, he could've been mentally impaired, and finally taken in by a relative, who hadn't yet gotten around to fixing up the house. Usually, somebody with a house isn't THAT anonymous!

We documented our experience (without the spook factor), and told our Sergeant about it, so I'm sure there was some more back and forth, but I was out of there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 AM

Interesting story, This Sense of Evil.

Does it belong in the (Sixth Sense) Category? This would be the one that as an example, would make a Civil war soldier quit the saddle just moments before a bullet would cross it.

Another example might come from the Lumber Jack camp's. Some of these guys would claim to be extremely startled at times then turn to see a deer watching them. They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to
Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
I do ok as a Coyote/Fox hunter and highly recommend playing the part of the injured animal as it does seem to pay-off so there might be some merit to the above. On the other hand, guys can do well with an elect
Call and I am pretty sure that a Foxpro doesn't have any soul or feelings!.

In my own experience, I have had times that I knew I was being watched. My feelings would range from (I knew something was there) TO (an extreme sense of the willies) that I felt once as a fourteen year old returning from
A hunt. (I still think that a large cat was watching me on that one) ;D

I have never felt the deep sense of foreboding that tells one to get out now. Was just wandering if this is all the same.
Thanks
GB
post #5 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
Rightly or wrongly I have over the years become convinced that at least some deer can read the intentions in the mind of a hunter. Laugh if you will. But it sure seems to me I see far more game from a stand when I can keep thoughts of killing from my mind and keep thoughts of most anything else in my mind. Might be purely coincidental but I accept it enough that when on stand I make every possible attempt to not think thoughs of killing game in my mind. I have no proof just my feelings on the matter.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #6 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 05:45 PM

Ive sensed that a few times while out hunting also. My most recent was one evening when I was stalking through the bottom of a creek bed looking for squirrels. The hair on the my entire body stood up I just stopped dead in my tracks. It the worst feeling of dread Ive ever experienced. I froze mid-step and stood like that for what seemed like an eternity though only a minute. I was fighting the urge to turn around and run like a bat out of **** out of that ravine. I lost that battle and all I remember is snapping my holster and sprinting as fast as I could and jumping over logs. Trees and bushes were a blurr. I won state track a couple times so I was really moving. I got back to my truck but didn't drive away, I just sat there shivering. That was the most recent occurrence. I felt it twice while hunting before that but this was the worst.
post #7 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard
Quote:
They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
Rightly or wrongly I have over the years become convinced that at least some deer can read the intentions in the mind of a hunter. Laugh if you will. But it sure seems to me I see far more game from a stand when I can keep thoughts of killing from my mind and keep thoughts of most anything else in my mind. Might be purely coincidental but I accept it enough that when on stand I make every possible attempt to not think thoughs of killing game in my mind. I have no proof just my feelings on the matter.
You may not, at first, think this is relevant to what you had to say, but think about it. There was a woman in the congregation of a church that I once pastored who did not like dogs. I had a small Boston Terrier female that had never bitten, or even tried to bite, anyone until she came in contact with this particular woman. The little dog, when this woman came around, would go after her hammer and tongs. She showed no aggression toward anyone else.

I have theorized that subtile differences in body chemistry brought about by emotion might change a person's body odor enough to set a dog, or other animal, off.

Preacher: Hear O' Israel, the LORD our God is One. Beside him, there is no other.
post #8 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard
Quote:
I don't find that strange at all, have you ever noticed how differently deer react to you when you are not hunting, just walking through the woods. Sometimes they will just stand there and stare at you. How often do they do that when you have a gun in your hands?

GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?
post #9 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Before I entered the denomination in which I preached for many years, I belonged to another group. A well-known evangelist, complete with tent, who had belonged to that group was expelled after he was arrested for drunk driving and after he refused to appear before a board of elders and explain. He had an abiding antagonism after his expulsion for that group.

In the early 1960's, I was attending a Bible Institute operated by the church that had expelled him. This evangelist set up his tent in a nearby city and announced that one of his intentions was to correct the damage that the Bible Institute had done to many of its students. Actually, he stated his intention to "cast the demons that had been put into [the students] by [the school]." Several of we students, out of curiosity, went over for one of his services. We arrived about 7 p.m. For two hours, we watched and listened to.... I'll not go into detail. It would take too much space. About 9 p.m., after two hours of almost hypnotic music and other things, I suddenly got the feeling that I was in the presence of something terribly evil. We, the girl that I would marry and I, left. And I don't scare easily--if fear was what I was feeling. It might have been intense aversion--and fear.

I've never again felt what I felt that night.

Preacher: Hear O' Israel, the LORD our God is One. Beside him, there is no other.
post #10 of 261 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM

I had that same feeling of dread at New Echota, GA. We were allowed to tour an old house. The hair on my neck was standing up the whole time. I refused to enter the basement. I later found out that about 6000 Cherokees died in a large pen in the side yard of the house prior to being started on the Trail of Tears.

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page