Ethanol free premium fuel - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM

That is a reasonable price difference. I'll be using it when the time comes.

aka BBF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM

When the time comes - you'll need to check the gas stations on your route through North Dakota, as there's a lot of stations that only sell the 91 octane non-ethanol gasoline and that price can range from 35 to 60 cents a gallon more.

I would guess here in Eastern North Dakota about 30% of the gas stations carry the 87 octane non-ethanol gasoline for a price difference of 20 cents, there's a couple at 25 cents higher - the rest just carry the 91 octane gasoline for the much higher price.

In Minnesota they only sell 91 octane gasoline that is non-ethanol with a warning that's it's only for off-road use and the price is usually sky high. The reason for all that is a State Law was passed during the "georgie shrub" years to help America be independent of "foreign oil".

I think there's an app on smart phones that have this information for travelers that will show the type of fuel available and the different prices.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 AM

I did a rough cost comparison and much to my surprise the difference of fuel prices between the USA and Canada initially made it a simple choice by going through the US until I added the 33 cents per $ currency exchange not just for fuel but campground/ motel and food.
When all was figured the total wasn't worth the hassle with crossing the border 4 times and getting the cell phone fired up to work.

aka BBF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM

around here you have your choice of 87 with ethanol 93 with ethanol or 91 without ethanol. I'm sure the 93 is just 91 obtain fuel with ethanol added. I would guess the reason for no 87 without is the government mandates so much ethanol be sold and bottom line is 99 percent of the people don't know or don't care and by 87. I used to shake my head at guys who claimed there vehicle had more power or better fuel mileage with premium but today with ethanol its probably true. Id bet you can recoup the cost of upgrading to 91 without ethanol just in fuel savings over regular with ethanol. Probably isn't going to save you money but many times premium has a better additive package and add to that you don't get the long term problems associated with ethanol in your vehicle. Espeically in a 2 stroke like a snowmobile or outboard.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:36 PM

Your currency is worth less down here but the USA interstate system beats **** out of traveling Canadian roads across Ontario. Across North Dakota the speed limit is 75mph, which is about 120 kilometers on your speedometer - most are pushing 80.

You'll either be coming across Canada on highway 17 and maybe 11 prior to getting to 17 - speed limits are pretty slow and as you know hitting the reserves you need to slow down to a crawl - OPP is usually out and about issuing tickets at will because not many Canadian motorists are within 10mph of the speed limit - could get expensive if they choose you.

My Canadian friends who use to reside in Thunder Bay and Winnipeg always came down and travelled in the USA when going to BC - sometimes their vehicle needed new tires and that was just a bonus purchasing them in the States.

Scenery is a lot different and our construction zones aren't nearly as troublesome as the Canadian construction sites - at least for those I've been through anyway - another plus is you won't have a chance to hit a moose when driving evening hours.

Overall, I think you would be money ahead coming through the States, as most things are less expensive, but sometimes that border crossing can be a hassle depending upon if you get the lane with summer temporaries or the regular custom person.

Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 03-31-2017 at 01:40 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:07 PM

I won't be going 'til late August and since we pull a small RV I don't go over 90 km/h since my tow vehicle isn't the best unit for the job. Even with smaller tires on the drive wheels I spend most of my driving in 5th gear.
Coming back from BC without the RV changes the pix a lot. We can do 800 km per day without strain.

aka BBF
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 PM

Just found a station around me that sells it. Bought 5 gallons just the other day. 91 octane, no ethanol. $3.39/gal. But considering the marina's around here are over $4/gal. and I probably will not use but maybe 10 gallons a year, don't mind buying it. Ran my old John Deere rototiller on it yesterday, sure sounded good. gypsyman

We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:05 PM

AV-GAS with lead, including the low lead stuff has a far higher percentage of lead than any automotive leaded fuel ever had.

RR
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I think 87 and 93 octane have the same amount of energy per gallon of fuel. One reason ethanol free fuel is the tax structure. The federal tax only applies to the gasoline, and not the ethanol.

Most small engines and many outboard engines do not benefit from higher octane fuel. I remember the first OB motor I ever bought in 1970. The Evenrude manual said use fuel with a minimum of 80 octane, and cautioned about purchasing fuel in Mexico.

Where I live the only ethanol free fuel in 93 octane, so I have to keep it for my lawn equipment, tiller, pressure washer, and generator (which gobbles a gallon per hour).
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 PM

My sawmill has a 23hp Briggs Vanguard on it... It ABSOLUTELY runs better with premium in it, and I mean by a noticeably amount too!

SO, that's all it get's these days!

The manuals on ALL of my chainsaws call for premium, that's all they get too...

These days, NONE of my small gas motors get ANY E fuel PEROID!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page