Small outboard advice for Jon boat - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

We live next to a small lake here in central Texas and plan on using it for fishing along the shore and running up the creek. It's fairly light with a 36" beam and can be easily hauled in my old pickup or utility trailer to the lake and back. It's rated at 6hp but I'd be real hesitant to mount something that heavy on it. With the the trolling motor, battery and me sitting in the back it definitely sits lower in the back so a heavier motor doesn't look like a real good option. The 55# thrust trolling motor moves it along really well but battery life is fairly limited when running at full speed for a longer period of time. Had it on the water for about an hour the other day and the wind was blowing pretty good down the creek with us headed into it. By the time we turned around and headed back the battery was running out of charge and I was beginning to think we were going to have to break out the paddles before we got back to the ramp and headed back home.

wtxbadger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Definitely think lightweight is what will work. There's a big difference in weight when you jump up from the 2.5/3.5's to the 4/5HP. If you read the specs you'll see there is no difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 or between the 4 and 5. They are two different "families".

No doubt in my mind if you hang a 4 or 5HP on that jonboat you'll have to put ballast in the front because with you in it the transom will be barely above water!

Even in my 14ft V-bottom (a small, narrow one) my 5HP adds all the weight to the stern that I'm comfortable with. And I also mounted my trolling motor battery in the bow which helps a lot.

I doubt you'll have to worry about refueling on the water very often unless you run the thing all day. Gas mileage with these little 4 strokes is really impressive (compared to the old 2 strokes).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page