Small outboard advice for Jon boat - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Default Small outboard advice for Jon boat

Got a 12' jon boat a couple of weeks ago and am looking for suggestions on small outboards. It's rated at 6hp. I'm currently using a minn kota 55# thrust trolling motor but thought a gas powered outboard would be a nice addition to the trolling motor for extended time on the water.

Any suggestions and experiences would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

wtxbadger

wtxbadger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:12 PM

Whats your budget? Do you want one that has a built in gas tank or separate fuel tank? 2 or 4 stroke? Geared or direct drive? My first choice would be a Honda followed by Yamaha, then one from the big 3 in the USA. Stay away from the vintage motors as parts are hard to come by.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Not as concerned with monies spent as I am something reliable that doesn't have to be wrenched on all the time. Built in or separate tanks would work fine and no preference on drive type.

Been down the older used road before with my last boat and figure on staying clear of that scenario. A family member gave me his used outboard and by the time I got done working on it spent more money and time on it than what a new one would have cost. The last time it broke down on the water I got disgusted and gave it back and wound up eventually selling the boat.

wtxbadger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Ive got a 10 foot jon boat I have a 2.5 merc. Works great. its a two stroke, would like a 4 stroke, but the price was right on the 2 stroke. I use mine for hunting , so this is fairly light . can take it off & on easy. the more horses the heavier they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	493.2 KB
ID:	232284  

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM

If you wanna go new, a Honda 5 HP seems a good choice. Their heavier then the older 2 cycles. Weighing about 60 lbs. Can use both an internal or external tank. 5 year warranty.

I’ve a Evinrude “Yachtwin” 4HP, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke for the sailboat. It runs like a top. Weighs 38 lbs which is good as it’s suspended on a bracket off the transom. I’ve looked at the newer motors but can’t find a long shaft 4HP at that weight and the ol Yachtwin just keeps Cadillacing.

Looks like this one.
Small outboard advice for Jon boat-471a7db2-3977-4544-b454-fb87fac7038a_1563640883859.jpeg
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:44 PM

allways been a merc guy. goes all the way back to my service days. I know merc makes 4 strokes from a 2.5 hp kicker motor like youd want right up to the supercharged 400 hp verodo. Second choice would be a Yamaha.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Sure appreciate the responses, weight is definitely a consideration along with reliability and parts availability if it needs repairing. Ran across quite a few Chinese made ones for really low prices online but my bet is they are throw away's with little to no support or parts availability.

The merc 2.5 looks good from the reviews and the honda's have a good reputation for quality also. Going to do some pricing on both and check on what evinrude has to offer also.

wtxbadger
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:01 AM

Ive seen on youtube that the merc 2.5 is the same motor as the3.5 merc. with a constrictor plate or different carb. I guess you can make the opening to carb bigger & get a another horse out of it. Don't know about that. It runs good as is. I bought mine off my brother. He just had to have a little bit bigger. unloading boats one day heading to deer camp, I watched him man handling his bigger motor, maybe 15 lbs heavier. He looks at me and says he sure misses that 2.5. One of the better deals Ive gotten.

I was actually looking at the 4 stroke 2.5s. I hate little 2 stroke motors. was getting ready to pull the trigger on a brand new one. about $800 . ouch!! But I hate working on junk. Especially when Im trying to hunt or fish.

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:15 PM

Some (or most) of the 2.5-5HP 4 strokes are made by Tohatsu, regardless of what brand name is on the cover. Summer before last I needed to replace the water pump impeller in my Nissan (made by Tohatsu) and went to the Mercury dealer and got a Mercury impeller which fit perfectly. All the 4 stroke Mercs of 9.9HP or less are Tohatsu. I'm pretty sure Honda builds their own motors.

If your Jon boat is one of the typical lightweight narrow ones you'll probably want to stick with 3.5HP or less, just because there's a big jump in weight when you go to 4HP.

And yes, the difference between the 2.5 and the 3.5 is the carburetor, same with the 4 and 5 HP.

BTW my Nissan is a 2000 model and the impeller is the only thing I've replaced, other than a few spark plugs. It's needed 3 tuneups because it begins to start hard cold about every 5 or 6 years.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Depends a great deal on how you plan to use the boat: just you and a dog, or two adults with 4 dozen decoys. leave in water or launch from trailer or boat lift. Cartop? Are you going to jump dikes at a managed hunting area? Are you planning on running rivers where you might have to portage around sweepers blocking the river?

Do you want the ability to plane, or will you be content to chug along at hull speed? Not so sure one would want to run real fast with a narrow beam jon except on small mirror smooth water.

36 inch bottom beam or 48 inches? I'm with Spruce on a smaller motor with the narrow beam. I have a 14 foot 48 inch bottom jon boat rated for 15 hp but got along fine with a 9.5 hp, and did not need all those ponies when running with myself and a Lab as a light load. 66% of 6 hp puts you at 4 hp, so 2.5-3.5 would probably work OK. Look at changing propellor pitch to a finer pitch for running with heavier loads.

If you are traveling any distance a separate tank is worth the weight and trouble to avoid refueling a hot motor on the water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page