How to calculate final BHN - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Default How to calculate final BHN

If I have two pieces of unknown alloy, such as 2 lb of BHN 7, and 1 lb of BHN 14 and melt them together , what will be the BHN of my final mix? Can I do a straight proportion to get a final BHN 9 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Yes. Straight proportion

7 BHN * 2 lb = 14 BHN-lb
14 BHN * 1 lb = 14 BHN-lb

(14 + 14) BHN-lb = 28 BHN-lb

28 BHN-lb / 3 lb= 9.33 BHN
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:57 AM

there seems to be (at least in my testing) one variable in it. That's tin. Alloys like 20-1 that get there hardness just from tin don't seen to make an across the board exchange with alloys using antimony for hardness. If I have 20-1 (lead/tin) that lets call 10bhn and add it 5050 with an alloy that is say 20 bhn and youd think youd end up with a 15 bhn alloy but usually it will run around 13. Also if you don't have a lead hardness tester you cant count on your alloy being a set bhn. Ive seen what people call pure go from 6 bhn to 8 bhn and have seen wws go from 9 to 13 and what people call linotype, Ive seen anywhere from 17 to 30. But for most of us plain math is close enough. Even hardness testers can goof you up. Ive got a cabin tree and an lbt and had a Seaco. Each one of them read slightly different. So what your getting is a reading + or - about 3bhn. I use my testers more to compare alloys I have then to put a wrote in stone bhn number on an alloy.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I got lucky a few years back. My wifes uncle owned a large print shop in Columbia Missouri. He still had linotype sitting in his basement from the early days when he retired. I also had a good stash of almost pure lead from my days as a telephone co. cable splice. I mix it one part linotype to to 10 parts lead for use in rifles or 2,000 fps+ and mix it 1/20 for most handgun shooting up to 1500 fps or so. No need for gas checks and never get any leading.

That being said, a pure lead bullet in a pistol with a gas check running 1000 fps out of my 45 Colt or 44 mag will do more damage to a deer at bow range than those hard bullets running 1500fps. Those hard bullets (about 24 BHN) act just like FMJ bullets. Number 2 alloy(the old lead wheel weights and a dose of Unique) is about perfect at 1200 fps with a gas check for deer size game. No 2 driven any faster in my two deer revolvers results in lead in the bore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page