9mm advice needed - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:00 PM

It took me more work to beat leading in Glock 9mm than any other gun I cast for. All of the work eventually paid off with good full power loads and the only lead I have in bulk (~ 8 bhn range scrap).

I use tumble lube for lots of guns but could not get leading free 9mm performance with either the factory or an aftermarket barrel.

Now I use nothing but powder coat in the 9mm. Even with powder coat, I had to do a bunch of other stuff including:
  • Get the boolit diameter up to 0.3575"
  • Use an oversize expander plug
  • Sort brass (a mix of fed, cci & blazer works for me)
  • Do bullet seating and flare removal (no crimp needed) as separate steps.

Now I can load target or full power with zero leading.

Trying tumble lube it is a good idea, but to get acceptable performance you will probably be better off harder lead (I think the hard lead helps avoid having boolits sized down too much by the case). Things like the oversized expander plug, brass sorting, and separating bullet seating and flare removal may still be worth trying. Slower powders with loads that are just enough for slide hold back on any empty magazine is also worth considering.

Last edited by P Flados; 09-06-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Try the Lee 358-125 RF bullets. I was having trouble with my CZ 75 SP01 using the rounds that fired well from the two Glocks that I had and Mr Ruger LC9S Pro. It was the Lee 356-120 TC. The CZ chamber was shaving off a tiny ring of lead causing the pistol not to go into battery. Sizing the bullets to .357 helped a lot, but on a whim I got the aforementioned mold, cast, lubed and sized to ..358 and the CZ gobbled them up without a hitch. I should have bought the six cavity mold.......

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page