Graybeard Outdoors banner

Cast question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  res45 
#1 ·
I've been reloading cast bullets in handguns for a few years with good results and have started to expand into rifles. I bought 500 Missouri Bullet TEK coated 165 grain bullets for use in my Winchester 94 30-30. I have the newest Lyman manual and the best powders I had in my stock were IMR 3031 and IMR 4198. I loaded up a bunch of 3031 increasing by 1/2 grains and had terrible results. Velocities seemed way high to me and accuracy was pathetic. I stopped at 24.5 grains. Today I tried 4198. Accuracy wasn't too bad with 19 grains and velocity was about 1632. I moved up to 20 grains and 1763fps and accuracy went out the window. I did notice when seating the bullets I'm shaving lead off at the case mouth. Could this be the cause of such poor accuracy? I started chamfering all my cases and the shaving went away. I have a bunch loaded with 19grains of 4198 that a chamfered and I'll try them tomorrow. I would have liked to get to 1800fps or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The common "rule of practice" with cast bullets is to slug the rifle bore, measure the inside bore diameter (slug top of land to top of land), choose sized and lubed bullets 0.001" to 0.002" larger than the bore diameter, BHN 12-15 (Missouri = 15), and don't expect to drive them "jacketed bullet fast" (which you are not).

Your powder induced barrel harmonics affect bullet accuracy at the muzzle and target. You might be better served with one of the other powder choices (say IMR 4227 or Win 748). Trying all of the powders listed is not practical, but trying four or five is better, and in the long run less expensive, than giving up.

ACCURACY from a bullet that is driven within the range of the powder manufacturer's published data is what you want (lower in their range, imho, if you are going to shoot that rifle a lot and for a long time). Speed is not the end game - accuracy is.

Why do you load for the Win 30-30? Hunting? Targets? Distance?

#3 ·
Are those MO bullets .309" or .311"? In general all my 30 cal. rifles shoot .311" dia. bullets the best the only exception being my 30-06 with a tight chamber so I powder coat, gas check and size those to .309" and shoot them at around 2300 fps. with excellent accuracy.

I generally find that plain base bullets want hold up accuracy wise vs. the same bullet gas checked once you reach a certain pressure / velocity threshold, so I think a gas check style bullet will give better results at hi velocity, you might find the accuracy you're looking for between 1500 and 1600 fps. with the bullets you're using now. I shoot a Lee 170 gr. FP, powder coated, gas checked and sized to .311" in my pump action 30-30 at nearly the same velocity as 170 gr. jacketed factory loads with as good or better results using H-335. I cast my bullets from 50/50 and after powder coating and quench right out of the toaster oven after curing. I end up with a 15 to 18 BHN range bullet after they sit a couple day. It's the same alloy I use in my hi velocity 06 loads using H-4198 as well so I don't think your having a alloy issue.

Most but not all 30-30 rifles have 1:12 twist bores so they will stabilize the 150 to 175 gr. cast bullets at hi velocity without any issues if you have everything else right. Slow them down a bit and see how they shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.