Graybeard Outdoors banner

Sika

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gemihur 
#1 ·
I don't know alot about Sitka, and had never seen one in the wild. Yesterday eve while hunting my place this one showed up.

Gotta love Edwards County Texas. You never know what will show up.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Sitka

Thanks sja384. I have been doing some internet research on them. Apparently there are a bunch, possibly a different sub-species in MD. They have a season and quite a few internet hits with outfitters advertising hunts there.

The thought I had when I saw him, first was holy cow thats a Sika. Then I thought I had recalled hearing that they were bad eating. But, since we have eaten Mouflon (kinda gamey), we could make this good tasting. Now I am finding out that they are good eating, so I am glad I took him and took time to butcher him.

#6 ·
Re: Sitka

Nice Sika! Friend, if you can eat a Mouflon, my hat is off to you, ha! I just cannot handle it, it is indeed gamey, swells up when you chew it, and I couldn't even get the camp dogs to eat it when I htrew it out, ha.
I want to shoot one of the bigger species, Dybowski I think he's called. I think he is from Mongolia, about twice the size of the one you shot.
Hey Dr Doug, I've hunted with Dan Moody of Four Seasons Hunting for years in the Uvalde, leaky, Pearsal area. Lots of fun.

#8 ·
How big body wise was your Dybowski Doc? I spoke with Mr Wilson once about 10 yrs ago via phone. I was inquiring where he shot that big Ibex cross back 25-30 yrs ago now. He told me then that those goats had all been killed off. He was a nice fellow. He was living in kerrville. I've hunted around there too. I love that Hill Country! I guess, of all the Exotics, the Axis is my favorite, and it is indeed my favorite venison. Cow elk is still at the top of my list for wild game, but those big Axis backstrap are de-lish! ha.

#9 ·
Hi Rev,

My Dybowski weighed in at a bit over 180lbs. His rack measures 138 SCI and was #5 in the book for a while. Ken's a great guy! He killed his ibex cross at the Onion Creek Ranch which was Y.O. owned I believe. I don't have a favorite exotic any more....I've set my heart on a specie or two only to go and take another that I didn't even think about.

#10 ·
No kidding! But it's one of the things I like about hunting Exotics....just go hunting, see what you can run into, and if you have the peso's to buy it, ha.
I hunted the Indian Head Ranch one hot June day (never again) for Axis and finally nailed one out around 230. They said they had Markhor sheep but that hardly anyone had ever taken one. I hunted Aoudad out in Sanderson on my last exotic hunt, back in 2007, been awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.