Graybeard Outdoors banner

Deer Season Will Soon Be Here

28K views 232 replies 15 participants last post by  Drilling Man 
#1 ·
AND I'm still working on my new blind!!

DAMN, I'm sloooooow in my old age!! When I was young, I could have built a pole barn by now!! lol

My biggest "excuse" is, only the 4 PT legs and the lower 2x6 rim, is store bought lumber!

The rest I'm harvesting the logs,

[img]

and milling out the lumber,

[img]http://www.fototime.com/9B2C4DFD2962BB5/standard.jpg

DM

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks guys, it's been slow going as I work on it when I find the time and haven't made it a priority......but i think i'll work on it a little today.

I still need to drop the tree that I'm going to mill the siding out of, but that will be happening soon. A tornado took the top out of it a couple years ago, and it looks like it will make some great siding! It's big enough to make all the siding and roof boards out of and more...

Thanks again,

DM

#7 ·
Yup I feel to hot to hunt much yet. Squirrels here are on the ground around the hickory nut trees. I sat in a deer blind and got an opening day limit in about 30 minutes.
Saw a group of 8 does together last evening.

:) Al

#8 ·
Lots of squirrels around here, I have walnut tree's, so they come around for those.

When I was a kid, you never saw a blk. sq. around here, now they are every where... Another thing, red sq's keep the bigger sq's away, and I've declared WAR on red sq's, so keeping them cleaned out, means the other sq's will come in...

Anyway, I don't hunt or bother the big sq's at all...

DM

#9 ·
if you look up black squirrels ( wikipedia ) you will find they are a color variation of the grey squirrel
but i dont buy into that .. they are smaller and thier heads are bit pointier . not just a color phase

and where you see black squirrels, you see less grays.. i think there are grays, fox, reds and blacks ( they are there own breed )

i think the blacks push out the fox and grays. they dont seem to affect the little reds ( tufted ear squirrel )

#10 ·
Around here, the blks and greys can be in the same tree, they get along just fine... In fact, some greys have some blk (dark area's) on them...it's the fox that seem to be pushed out, although they do still come around.

DM

#12 ·
The greys are smaller than the fox, but not quite as small as the blks...

Also, the greys and blks hang together, the fox don't seem to want to be around them.

I shoot/trap every red sq. on sight!

DM

#13 ·
thats interesting your bk sq are smaller than the grays..
thats how it is here midland co. too

and thats why i think they are a different breed.. why would an animal be smaller like that if it was just a color phase.
i dunno , its not a big deal, they all taste the same to me ;)

#14 ·
I have squirrels only occasionally here. I'm on the edge of the Fox Squirrels range and have only seen one in 25 years. I have grays, blacks and reds, but not in great numbers. I just don't have the mast for them. I've got lots of conifers, so the reds are more plentiful. I shoot every one I can. I had a lunker gray here at the bird feeders last Fall and Winter. We called him "Fatso". He disappeared this Spring during Red-tailed Hawk migration......strange coincidence. ??? ??? He was kinda dumb and spent too much time in the open. An Amish friend about 3 miles south of me is overrun with squirrels and that's where I hunt them.

Pete

#15 ·
I was out in my woodlot today, and there were two G. Sq's playing on the side of an big oak, I usually only see fox sq's there...

Anyway, I got a couple more hrs in on the deer blind, so it's a notch further along. On each side there's going to be a 10', 4" x 5-1/2" beam to support the roof load, so I managed to get the beams cut to length and notched for the gable end pieces to fit in.

After measuring where I wanted the notches, I made many cuts with my circle saw,

and cleaned them out... I have to notch them on both ends,

and I think the notches came out just fine,

I wish I had, had more time to work on it, but all kinds of things went wrong that day, so I didn't get as far along as I would have liked to...

DM

#16 ·
I had a decent sized tornado damaged white pine out back that I've had my eye on... Anyway, I've been wanting to get it to my mill site and mill into some siding for my deer blind project,

After cutting my way to it, I got started,

[img]

Because I have a skidding winch on my tractor, I cut a larger than normal notch in the tree and hooked the cable from the winch as high as I could reach, and tightened it up, then locking it,

[img]

With dead standing/damaged tree's, I wanted that cable tension... Anyway, the tree went over as planned and I then winched it out and off I went to my mill site,

[img]http://www.fototime.com/29772F27DD3EA87/standard.jpg

Next will be to cut the logs out of it and mill them into that much needed lumber!

DM

#17 ·
when does it start there ?
seems like you're cuttin' it kinda close
ain't you ? :-\

#18 ·
Ranger99 said:
when does it start there ?
seems like you're cuttin' it kinda close
ain't you ? :-\
Naaaa, I don't start hunting for over a month yet... And, if needed, I do have other spots to hunt from...

I'm not just knocking something together because one of nephews said he would like to camp in it once in a while He did help me a little on it until he got a REAL job....his first. lol

DM

#22 ·
well good luck to yall.
i'm hoping for the some luck this year.
at the outpost this last weekend i saw
nearly a field full near the small creek
down the road from me when i went
to go buy some diesel fuel. looked like
a bunch of yearlings in a feed lot.

#24 ·
I've been seeing a few deer, but not like a few years ago...

Today was another nice day out and I was busy with a few different things.... so I only got a little bit further along on my blind. I did manage to cut out, and notch both gable end post,

So, we will see what the rest of the week brings...

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.