Graybeard Outdoors banner

Shooting Slugs with Tru-Glo snap-on front sight only?

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  oconeedan 
#1 ·
I have been watching youtubes, where guys have a smoothbore barrel, no vent rib,and then install one of the Tru-Glo snap on front sights. it is a three quarter round piece of plastic, that you snap onto the front of barrel, and then slide forward to lock up against the existing bead.

One guy put one on an H&R, using a green glo rod, and seemed to have no trouble hitting a gong over and over from standing position, out from 50 yards. There is no rear sight.

I think that with these glo-rods, you have to line your eye perfectly behind them each time, to see the round glowing end. Maybe this is why they are pretty good, even with no rear sight?

I was just wondering if anyone had shot any groups at 50 yards, using the front glo-rod sight only. Seems like a really neat thing to have, if your barrel just has a front bead.

Thanks for any info.

Mannyrock

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the snap on. It snaps over the bead to keep it from moving. It makes the bead "jump out". I was shooting clays with some kids who have no eye for it. 30" full choke just the bead they were hitting 20%? Snapped on the green stick and they jumped to 70% . I was surprised! They were thrilled . Looking at some pictures mine might be Hi-Viz not True-Glo. If they don't snap over the bead recoil can move them. Before I figured mine out it would tork to the side.

The bead is more of a indicator than a sight. Sort of like when Luke was making his run on the death star In Star Wars - "Use the force Luke". You become "one" with the gun and "feel" where the clay is. SPLAT!

I shoot slugs at a 12" disk on the 50 yard berm with a 18" cylinder bore. Off hand I hit it most times. I will be making a trip to the range soon and will try a group on paper from a rest.

I have worked up a new mix for my Win PDX knock offs and will post pictures of the group down under "fun with buck shot".
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-guns-and-their-ammo/relodaing-fun-with-buck-shot/

Can't wait for fall. Pumpkin season! Have some improved pumpkin killer slugs also.

This is the one I have. http://www.hivizsights.com/product/mpb-tac/

Tru-glo http://www.truglo.com/firearms-wing...al.asp?catid=CC464CC39D4E4360BF05DD8A38F256EC

Attachments

#3 ·
they work fine.
i have them on all my single shot shotguns
except one. it has a ramp sight and won't
work right with one.

#5 ·
Got to the range with the Hi-Viz / Tru-Glo type front sight.

First I know this is not a great group. Was a off day for me. Old eyes.

The load was a 1oz Lee slug in a CB2100-12 wad with a target charge of Green Dot. I shot it at 50 yards through a 18" cylinder bore not a slug gun. A longer barrel would have been better. But it does make nice big holes! Latter I'll post more under "fun with buck shot".

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for posting your group. Not too bad, and definitely a deer killer at 40 yards.

My shotgun has one of those custom installed orange, hard plastic beads, on the front. Fairly large.

I just put a snap-on Tru-Glo sight on the barrel, half way down, with a small green rod.

So, when I sight down the barrel, I can center the little green dot inside of the big red dot. It forces me to really get down on the gun, and it gives me the same sight picture every time.

But, I haven't been able to go out and test it yet. For all I know, it will shoot a foot high.

Mannyrock

#8 ·
They do shoot high. Mine is a rem 870 Wingmaster. With the short barrel I have to bury the bead and still have to aim at the bottom of a 12" disk at 50 yards.

I like the idea of mounting the sight down the barrel. But they are made to index on the bead. Before I figured that out the recoil would "tork" the sight left each time. You might have to use some 2 side tape to seat it on. The heat might melt the tape.

If you have a lazer bore sight line it up at home. You can mark it's spot on the barrel with White Out. It won't mess up the finish and will clean right off when you are done. This is fun.

#12 ·
I put one on my 18.5 inch sixteen gauge that didn't have a bead, got super groups and it flew off and cracked in pieces after the 4th shot :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.