Graybeard Outdoors banner

Anybody here into magnet fishing?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  va rifleman 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Folks do find some useful things with magnets.

I would like to try it, but I can't get near a magnet that strong or it will turn off my defibrillator.

#7 ·
I guess magnet fishing is relatively new to the states, but has been going on in Europe for some years. I plan on doing some metal detecting and magnet fishing this coming summer, having ordered a new detector and this new magnet combo
Old thread but I wanted to ask the same question as the title. IG, did you give it a try? Anybody see a detriment with the 1200 lb models?

Re-purposed magnet mount antenna base? Some of them are pretty stout.

There’s a creek that parallel’s a section of the abandoned Richmond Danville railway. (Used extensively back in the 1860’s). Thinking I could loose a bunch of magnets there. LOL

#8 ·
I've got an old antenna base magnet, and have been kicking around trying some old well locations I know about in the woods.

#9 ·
I always thought it would be fun to do this. Then I realized that anything that has been in the water for much more then a few weeks is basically worthless. Unless you're just looking for scrape metal. According to my wife I have enough junk laying around the house, I don't need any more.

Jim

#11 ·
I've been metal detecting off and on for decades, but I've never spent the money on a really good unit.

To me it's not the condition of the find as much as it is the history of it.

#12 · (Edited)
I tried it ..perhaps about 3 hours total, plan on getting back to it this summer. I didn't find anything of value but learned a few things

I fished off bridges over local creeks, and discovered that they aren't particularly good...reason being, during the summer they get low enough, so if there was anything valuable/visible, it is likely somebody would have spotted it from the bridges, since creeks around her have clear water and usually gravel bottoms..

Probably the best place for the magnets, would be fishing from a concrete dam, which has several feet of water against it at all times.

Canals with clean side and continuous depth, would be good. Also check piers which have sufficient water depth.. people drop all kinds of things off piers and around boats which are tied to piers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.