Graybeard Outdoors banner

First Bear Hunt

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  dinny 
#1 ·
Tomorrow I depart for West Virginia where I will bear hunt this weekend for the first time ever. I'm carrying my trusty Rem Model 7 in 35 Rem and a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Wish me luck, I hope I don't get eaten, lol.

Thanks, Dinny

#3 ·
The Good Lord is with me, no doubt, he always is. One of us must be wearing bear repellent though. I've seen scat and that's all I've seen for 4 days now.

Hopefully they're a little less shy next month when I return again.

Thanks, Dinny

#4 ·
Good luck to you.

As a piece of advice I’ll say this. The first bear you see is not as big as you think it is. If it looks big strong and powerful it’s not that big. If it looks like a slovenly lazy Walmart greeter needing a Hoveround it’s s big one.

Under no circumstance let people convince you they aren’t fit to eat. I made biscuits with the rendered lard yesterday, mrs could not tell. I told her 10 hrs later as she was snacking on a cold one. Certainly more beef like than venison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I hunted the last few days in NC. I saw 6 bears but couldn't ever get close enough to shoot one. I had an amazing time and now I'm hooked on bears!

Thanks, Dinny

#7 ·
Hay Dinny, hope you get a bear soon. Like any wild animal the meat depends on what they have been feeding on. And be sure to render all the fat into cooking oil and eat the bear skins like pig skins with delight. It not really skin but just some of the fat that won’t melt down. Makes a excellent snack.

#8 ·
Byron,
I have a farm booked to hunt bears the first 4 days of the North Carolina season this year. With any luck one will cross my path. The .348 Win Handi rifle is sighted and ready.

Thanks, Dinny

#10 · (Edited)
I hunted in NC from Friday to Tuesday. I saw at least a dozen bears but only one of them was close enough to shoot. Too bad it was on the move and I was facing the opposite direction. I was able to bloody the newest addition to my gun safe on a spike buck. The Win M70 Extreme Weather that JES rebored to .358 is a dream to carry and shoots just as well as any other he has rebored for me. The factory Hornady 200gr SP load did a number on the small buck at 100yds. There was massive internal damage and the shot actually tore it's esophagus. I have a few more bear hunting opportunities this year so I'm still hoping to get one.

Thanks, Dinny

#12 ·
Dinny, when you do kill your bear after you skin it lay it out on its back. Looks just like a human except for muzzle and claws. The resemblance is so startling that many Indian tribes regard bears as brothers.

After the deed is done let me know your thoughts on this.

#13 ·
Byron,
The deed is long over. I killed one a week ago last Wednesday. I was so exhausted from dragging it down the mountain that I rushed the skinning job and poked a few extra holes in the hide. My taxidermist has his work cut out for him. See the Dinny's Bear thread in the H&R rifles section. CWLongshot started it.

Thanks, Dinny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.