Graybeard Outdoors banner

Henry SingleShot .357 - which ammo?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  yooper003 
#1 ·
Hey kids!

Finally ordered a new Henry Single Shot. Those with the .357 mag, which ammo works best? Group size and performance on deer and coyotes under 100 yards?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Every gun like different. From my experience on deer thus far I like 158 gr jacketed soft points. They'll clock in the upper 1700 fps range. The 125's step out around 2100 fps but I would be more picky with shot placement on deer.

#3 ·
Every gun like different. From my experience on deer thus far I like 158 gr jacketed soft points. They'll clock in the upper 1700 fps range.
What 45/70 Fan said! :tango_face_grin: More specifically I use the Hornady XTP.

Hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, "jacketed soft points" does NOT include the XTP HP!

Somewhere, some time ago, I posted a comparison of the effectiveness of the two bullets based on the killing of two deer, two years in a row, shot from the same stand, at the same distance, with the same load (except the bullet: #1 - HP and 2- FP) outa the same rifle.

A limited sample to be sure but good enough for me! :tango_face_wink:

#4 ·
I have only about 300 rds. Through my Henry SS 357. Several different bullets. It seems to like the 180 gr. Hi-tek coated the best. Tried loads with acc#7, 2400, 4227 , H110, red dot & unique. So far best group was with acc#7. I have a 158 gr. Mold & I powder coat, but have not got this to shoot as well as the 180's I got from Missouri bullet co.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.