Graybeard Outdoors banner

TiteGroup, BenchMark & Clays

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  land_owner 
#1 ·
A friend got out of the survivalist business and is getting rid of his reloading stuff. He even sold his place in the Tenn. mountains and his Barrett 50 cal.! :tango_face_grin:

Anyway, to help him out I bought his powder and primers; primers I don't need and powders I don't use. The primers (CCI and Federal) don't worry me as they fit in with what I use.

Unfortunately I have never used TiteGroup (12 lbs), BenchMark (9 lbs) or Universal Clays (a mere 2 lbs.) :rolleyes:

After some review I guess I'll just switch over all my hand gun reloading to the TiteGroup but I'm not so sure about the BenchMark. It has a burn rate between 3031 and 4895; powders I have used a lot of, especially 3031.

I know nothing about Clays...

So what's y'alls thoughts on these powder and their uses? Remember I load just about everything from .17 Hornet up to 50-140 Sharps! :tango_face_devil:

Oh! Does anyone need any 50 cal. Browning reloading stuff? :tango_face_wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
Titegroup is a good versatile pistol powder. Sounds like you have a lifetime supply. Especially since the typical charge weight is fairly low.

Have never used Benchmark. I've been given 8 lb jugs of various powders in the past that worked out after some tryout. That would take a lot of shooting to use it all though. You may want to give some to friends. Maybe someone local would trade you for a powder you prefer.

#8 ·
Titegroup is a good versatile pistol powder.
Think of Benchmark as kinda like Varget, just as versatile.

Universal is great in 28 ga shotgun loads and also in handgun rounds. Think of it as Unique.
Thanks Dave, that confirms what I've read. I've pretty much decided that the TiteGroup will be my handgun powder for the rest of my life!

And ya know Bill, years ago when I started reloading for handguns you told me all I needed was 2400 and Unique. And as I've said before, I've never had cause to deviate from or even question that advise. Now, in this thread, the "Think of it as" analogy has really helped my mindset. Probably because I use a lot of Varget! and Unique. :tango_face_wink:

Evenso, considering my age a "lifetime supply" isn't that much. :tango_face_sad: So I think I'll see if I can get rid of the 8 lb. jugs of T'group and B'mark.

to help out a guy over run with TiteGroup I would accept a few pounds... just sayin
And in light of above I'd give you some but I can't see me shipping powder to californication! :tango_face_devil:

#3 ·
if you shoot a 308 go look at Hogdons annual manual, sub sonic with TiteGroup, makes for some nice relaxing pop gunning, will still take you quite some time to use it up, to help out a guy over run with TiteGroup I would accept a few pounds... just sayin

#6 ·
There are actually 3 different powders with Clays in the name. One is just Clays and is indeed just a shotshell powder but then most all shotshell powders do have application in some handguns. Universal is also called Universal Clays or just Universal and is almost same as Unique at least in application. I think the other is called International Clays. It is the only one of the 3 I have no experience with.

#7 ·
The Clays series of powders burn very clean in shotguns compared to some of the old versions of the Alliant Dot powders.

I would follow Gray Beard and give the Universal a try in handguns where you may have used Unique.

Supposedly newer versions of Dot powders burn cleaner. But a friend of mine was using one of the Clays (not sure which) in trap and skeet shooting and his barrel was amazingly clean after several rounds on the range.
I used some Universal Clays in shotgun and liked it. I think I used it in 38s and 357 too - seemed fine.

Seems like I've read good things about Benchmark in the 308 family too. You may have made a darned good deal.

#9 ·
I've shot a lot of Benchmark in 222-223. Universal Clays is great in 38 special plinking loads. Tight Group is one of the most versatile handgun powders. I use 10 grains of Tight Group in my two grandson's CVA scout 44 mag and they have fired 6 rounds in the deer woods and have six dead deer to show for it.

You landed some very usable powders!

#10 ·
Benchmark is a primo powder in .223Rem. Keep it. Use it. Love it...

#12 ·
I've used Titegroup in several handgun rounds, 38 spec., 45 Colt, and 41 Mag, lighter loads. I'll probably be trying it in light 44 mag loads and in 9mm but I haven't go around to it yet. I'd would offer to buy some and meet you to pick it up but I'm guessing I have more than I'll ever use unless I get to increase my shooting time.

Bruce

#13 ·
I decided I'm gonna sell the 8 lb. jugs of Titegroup and Benchmark (1 jug of each). I'll not live anywhere long enough to shoot up that much powder! :tango_face_grin: So I'm gonna list them in the River Bend Gun Club newsletter.

The rest of the powder I'll keep. :tango_face_wink:

#14 ·
You"ll live long enough if you shoot a lot more:tango_face_wink:!

I retire in 158 days. I just finished up reloading the last of my empty 357 brass. I am just shy of 10,000 rounds of those little guys ready to go bang. This summer I plan to litter up Greta's countryside with lead every chance that I get and then some. You should too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.