Graybeard Outdoors banner

6" 1911 Sight Height

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rosewood 
#1 ·
I am building a 6" 45 acp. I have a Caspian slide that I had cut for the low mount "novak" style sights. I am trying to figure out which height sights to order. I did some geometry and sketches and my math tells me the opposite from what Tru-Glo shows on their webpage, so I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong. So I am reversing engineering the height by using what they have on their webpage. I do plan on using the TFO sights on this gun. From what they list, it looks like I should go with the .450/.270 rear/front for the 6" slide in lieu of the .450/.260 listed for the 5" 45ACP slide since the shorter slides are .500/.260. Any of you guys agree with that or disagree with that? The sight radius is 7" on the 6" barrelled slide.

Thanks,

Rosewood

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
OK then, you have to take a different look at this. You have a 6" slide, no sights and you have to figure out which height front sight to get.
Here's whatcha do: Pull the firing pin and firing pin block out of the slide; if you have any rear sights around that match the .450" rear sight height for the standard government 5" set-up, stick in the rear slot (temp glue it with something); mock up two front sights, one at .260 and one at .270; mount your slide and barrel (in battery) in a vice and look down the firing pin tunnel and the barrel and focus on a target dot as far away as you think you are going to shoot, 25 or 50 yds. When you have the target dot centered in the barrel then see which mocked up sight gives you the best picture.
It would seem to me that if you go with a shorter barrel you would have to go with the lower front sight blade to bring the point of aim/impact up but wadda I know?
You haven't specified what you wish to use the pistol for, and your sight set-up is fixed, not adjustable. Try the mocked up front sights and see which one gets you on target at your preferred distance. I was always told the 1911 sights were regulated for point of aim/point of impact at 50 yds and mine have always hit about 2-2.5" high at 25 yds and dead on the money at 50. See what works for you before you spend the $. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
That is a great idea, that is way i bore sight my bolt guns. However I went ahead and ordered the .270/.450 earlier today. I finally realized why my geometry was off, I was doing the height difference up side down. It now makes sense that the longer slide needs a taller front sight, and that is what I ordered. It is the highest option anyway, so will probably be the best possible fit. The gun will be just for plinking and maybe carry. Was wanting a zero at maybe 25 yards. We will have to see how it works. Thanks for the tip, something I can use in the future. The only issue with your method, it doesn't take in to account bullet drop, just line of sight. May not be too significant though.

Thanks, rosewood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.