Graybeard Outdoors banner

Browning BLR .308

5K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kinslayer1965 
#1 ·
Took my fathers Browning BLR to Georgia with me last week. It still puts venison in the freezer! I killed a nice fat doe with this rifle when I was 14 and had borrowed it from my dad. Now 40 years later it is mine and it still drops them in their tracks (when I do my job right). I bet my dad was smiling when that deer hit the ground.

CR

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
my dad was never a gun guy like me. He hunted for years with his marlin 3030. One year I gave him my rem classic 6mm and he hunted for years with that. We at that time went to a camp with all his buddys and one had a blr308. My dad and all the guys there went ga ga over it. The old ******** all thought it was the most beautiful gun they ever saw. Few years late dad was retiring. So I bought him a new blr 308 and a vari x 2 leupold for a retirement gift (partially so I could get my 6mm back) He killed MANY deer with that gun and still to this day proudly shows it to everyone that visits at our camp. Hes 87 this year and shot himself a nice 7 pointer (could have been called an 8 with a broken tine) He told me this year when he dies he wanted me to have it and I told him I have to many guns already and to give it to one of his grandkids so that it will continue to kill deer. I just hope at 87 im still around to even be the camp cook let alone still get out in the woods.

#10 ·
Lloyd,

I hear you! I hope to be in the woods and terrorizing the deer population when I am 87. I am changing the way I hunt these days. 20 years ago I would go up and down tree stands like a squirrel. Now I am starting to enjoy a nice hunt in a box blind. I agree with your father and mine the BLR is a nice looking rifle and a pure joy to carry. They also do a dang fine job of putting venison in the freezer which is the best way to measure success in my thoughts anyway.

Enjoy these hunts with your father! I lost mine to a heart attack when he was 69 and would give anything to go on another hunt with him.

CR

#16 ·
Nice Buck, Kinslayer1965. My dad is gone now too, and I also have his BLR .308. My wife took a deer with it a couple weeks ago. Mine is a pre 81 steel reciever, made in Japan. Wish he would have bought another magazine or two for it. They cost more than the rifles do now! Congrats on the Buck and the rifle.

#17 ·
Two years ago, my wife was given a BLR in .243 by her dad. She used it on her first ever deer hunt last season and killed a fat 2X2 mule deer here in Utah. After processing through her emotions killing her first animal, she was so excited about her accomplishment and I couldn't have been prouder of her. She's hooked and I have a hunting partner for life.

#19 ·
Nice gun CR, nice buck too. I have owned 3 BLR's over the years. 2 are gone, but my 1st generation BLR in .358 Winchester aint going nowhere. Bought it new in 1979, I believe, and it has been a real deer thumper over the years. They are great hunting rifles.

Larry

Attachments

#20 ·
Larry,

Thanks and my apologies for not responding sooner. I apparently missed your post somehow. Nice deer and nice rifle. My cousin has a BLR in .358 and it flat out puts a thumping on a deer. He struggles finding ammo for it but as it usually only takes one shot ammo last a good while.

CR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.