Graybeard Outdoors banner

Pre-64 Winchester 94 and Hornady ammo..not so good.

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  drone 
#1 ·
Yes, my 1951 Winchester model 94 does NOT like the Hornady flex tip ammo.
Seems to be to hot for it.
On the other side of that. Remington core-lokts 150s shoot terrific.
Anyone else experience this ?

#3 ·
Individual guns, even in same make, model, and caliber, almost always show a preference for a certain load, and tell you loads they don't like. Why? Good question, but it's just the way it is.

I have a post '63 model 94 that prefers Winchester power points over the Remington Core-Lokts. Never tried any of the flex tip stuff.

I kind of wish it preferred the Core-Lokts because it seems like they are the ones most often on sale!

#4 ·
Individual guns, even in same make, model, and caliber, almost always show a preference for a certain load, and tell you loads they don't like. Why? Good question, but it's just the way it is.

I have a post '63 model 94 that prefers Winchester power points over the Remington Core-Lokts. Never tried any of the flex tip stuff.

I kind of wish it preferred the Core-Lokts because it seems like they are the ones most often on sale!

^^^THIS^^^ I have one 30/30 that loves 150's and the other loves 170's. Each gun is different.

#6 ·
I have a 1926-27 vintage 94 that likes Winchester's 170 gn flat point, Remington's 170 gn flat point and the Federal 170 gn flat point. I don't use the 150 grain in 30 calibers generally. This old rifle still shoots to 4" at 100 yds with open sights and my old eyes. I take very good care of her and don't abuse her. I think she likes me.....

#8 ·
if my 3030 shot 150 corelocks great id be all done. I wouldn't even load for it because you probably cant load cheaper then factory ammo and finding corelocks anymore is tough. 8 or 9 bucks? Id buy 20 boxes and be set for life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.