Graybeard Outdoors banner

Broadhead question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  lloyd smale 
#1 ·
Recently bought a Centerpoint Snyper 370 package $175. My antique Barnett wears me out. It weighs a ton. Anyways, shot a doe Sunday with a Rage extreme 2 blade mechanical. Trashed the blades. One is now serated and bent to the point it cracked. They are the crossbow version. Is there a better broadhead out there or do I just replace the blades?

By the way, I got the doe. 1" wide entry, 2" exit. Made for a gruesome bloody scene. Look like a horror movie scene. But was a quick clean kill.

Thanks for your input.

Lonny

#2 ·
replace the blades. There considered a one shot thing. Even if they weren't destroyed theyd be dull and most of us cant really do justice to sharpening a razor blade. Ive used rage broadheads for about 10 years now. Theres even more high tech broadheads today but rages have always killed quickly for me.

#4 ·
I've changed broadheads more than once for the same reasons you described, but it seems they all fall short of perfection. Rage is a popular broadhead for good reason, they kill quickly so long as you do your part, bringing us to possibly an even more, or at least equally important part.

Most broadheads on the market will do the job provided they are sharp, preferably shaving sharp, but very few if any will do it unless they hit where you aim. Not all broadheads fly properly from every bow, nor do they hit to the same place as your target tip unless the bow is properly tuned for it......pick the broadhead your bow likes, that flies like your target tip and pick up replacement blades, and it does sound like Rage is working just fine for you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

#6 ·
yup the early open on impact broadhead reliability was questionable. The newer ones work just find. I use rage also. They kill well and fly like a field point. I see absolutely no advantage to a fixed design anymore. Especially if you trying to shoot out past 25 yards. Mechanicals are just easier to tune for and fly better. Even a fixed blade needs replacement blades after going through a deer. Unless your using something like the old bear hand sharpen blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.