Graybeard Outdoors banner

I will start a new thread going way back

6K views 96 replies 6 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It has been said that the reason people don't listen to music is because they don't listen to music. Music makes a statement and you need to listen to the words. some times sad, sometimes happy, they dance to it, talk through it but never listen to it, sometimes it really hits home or brings up a memory of better times. sometimes it conveys a message about saying goodbye or letting go. so when you hear a song listen to it, you may like it.

Deaconllb

#4 ·
I had never heard it till Saturday evening. RFDTV runs old Grand old opry shows an she an Steve earls did this number so I jumped on youtube and found it. song is about saying goodby when a love one has passed. very pretty yet sad.

Deaconllb

#28 ·
One of my all time favorites Deacon! I grew up on 16th avenue in Charles City Iowa. I had a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury that I paid for by digging in a whole lot of field tile. There was my cousin Caven, Barry Kline, Francis and Jerry Marvin, Danny Meyer, Frank Usher, My two brothers and I.....we all lived in a two block span on 16th avenue. We wrote our names on water towers and drank a lot of Oly beer. The Oliver Tractor factory was a block and a half to the south and there were train tracks that went through the factory. I can still hear the train horns blowing in my head while I laid in my bed at night I always took comfort in those train horns.

There was the 1968 f5 tornado that ravaged the town killing 13 including my school teacher and a good friend. All of the houses on the west side of town on 16th ave were gone. Our house was saved by 1/2 block.

I have listened to that song hundreds of times over the years. My cousin Caven is a millionaire, The Marvin boys both died from drug related illnesses, Barry Kline went to prison, Danny Meyer is an executive at a very lucrative company. Frank Usher was a few years older than I and taught me how to fix lots of stuff and let me hang around. He was my mentor while growing up. He went to Nam right after the tornado and came back with the thousand yard stare. He got me into the Leather Necks motorcycle club when I wasn't dry behind the ears. He drank himself to death in a cabin on the Cedar River a short while back.

Lots of memories and lots of discrepancy in the life decisions made by a bunch of boys who all grew up on the same street in the same era. That song puts it all into perspective.

#14 ·
Here is one that goes way back, fond memories of Peter Paul and Mary. Reminds me of the sixties and all the Hoot in Nanny shows and groups like the Brothers four, Glen Yarbrough, Beach boys, Paso Saco Singers they were the group that gave Don Williams his start with the song Time.

https://youtu.be/Vg2RcXC8KSk?t=5

Deaconllb

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XfyEpmQM7bw

As a DJ, you have got to be able to change genres.

I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard that song. It was night time and I heard it on KOMA am radio.

I don't remember where I was when i first heard it, but I'm sure it was on KOMA. That was the only
station we listened to back then. Our local station sucked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.