Graybeard Outdoors banner

Browning 1911-22

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Ex 49er 
#1 ·
I ordered one of these pistols on Friday. I'm getting the standard model with wood grips.
I also got 2 extra magazines. I didn't want the compact model.

#3 · (Edited)
The pistol arrived at the dealers store today and I got to handle one for the first time. It sure is light and small; but, fits in my
hand very well. I get to bring it home next Thursday and I've got range duty on Saturday so I'll get to put some rounds
downrange, then. I ordered 2 extra magazines and they arrived Tuesday. I'm looking forward to stripping it down and
figuring out what makes it tick.

#4 ·
The Browning 1911-22 came home today. I stripped it down and figured out how the magazine safety works and how to override it.
I wish it had regular slotted screws instead of the Allen screws to hold the grips on and for the price it would have been nice if
Browning had included an Allen tool to take the grips off. Also, for the price, it would have been nice if an extra magazine
was included.

#6 ·
I had range duty today. I shot about 3 boxes of assorted .22's through the 1911-22. It performed flawlessly and printed consistently about
1 inch high at 25 yards. I had a lot of fun spinning a hanging bowling pin around in circles. This little pistol is a keeper.

#7 ·
That's great for you...

I took the first one back because it shot so high and to the right. They said they would send it to Browning, but instead lost it! I complained so much, they took the first one back and gave me a second one.

Here's the target from the second one, (15 yards)

The hits in the bullseye are from my Woodsman I took with me, to make sure it's not "me", that's having a bad day. The high/right was the shots from the Browning same day/time/ammo.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it...

DM

#8 ·
That's great for you...

I took the first one back because it shot so high and to the right. They said they would send it to Browning, but instead lost it! I complained so much, they took the first one back and gave me a second one.

Here's the target from the second one, (15 yards)

The hits in the bullseye are from my Woodsman I took with me, to make sure it's not "me", that's having a bad day. The high/right was the shots from the Browning same day/time/ammo.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it...

Elaine has both the Browning 1911-22 and the 1911-380. Same thing with hers at first. Seems to be getting better as it wears in.

#10 ·
My friend that lives on the ranch bought one for his son. It didn’t impress me as being a accurate gun. My buckmark camper model would shoot much better than the 1911-22. Most rugers will too.

#11 ·
I probably would have bought a Ruger; but, they aren't allowed in Commiefornia! For accuracy, I'll stick with my S&W Model 41.
For fun the Browning 1911-22 and my conversions for the Sig 226, Beretta 92, Browning Hi Power, and Glock 26 do just fine for me.

#12 · (Edited)
I was at the range last Saturday and let a couple of people shoot the Browning. They all loved it. We had a hanging bowling pin dancing at 25 yds.
I got 2 more magazines for a total of 5 and a magazine loader to save my thumbs. It still feels like a Mattel.

#13 ·
The 1911-22 isn't exactly a target gun, at least not unless it gets some attention like the bullseye shooters guns have gotten.

That said, Elaine wanted to take her 1911-22 over the range last week, and it still groups very well at 10 yards using standard velocity ammo. With this thread in mind we fed it several brands of ammo, like CCI, Aquilla, Federal, (It didn't like Winchester), and it cycled it all, while keeping everything inside of two inches.

Our suggestion is see how it does after a couple of bricks are run through it.

#14 ·
I'm shooting a mix of Blazer, American Eagle, CCI Mini-mags, and Remington Golden bullets. I'm shooting both hollow points and solids.
I've shot about 450 rds. through it so far. Only had one hiccup with an old shell that was a hang fire and failed to extract.
You're correct that it isn't a target gun; but, it is a great little plinker. It is my new favorite. It's not big and bulky like the Browning
Hi-Power, Sig 226, and Beretta 92 conversion kits. It fits in all hands quite well.

#15 ·
After a long hiatus, I took the 1911-22 back to the range today. I let a friend shoot 10 rds. thru it and put 80 rds. thru it myself. It still performs flawlessly
and is a joy to shoot. The only problem I've noticed is that the pin at the
rear of the slide that holds the firing pin tends to want to walk out to the
left of the slide as I shoot. I think some loc-tite is in order.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.