Graybeard Outdoors banner

Pocket Howdah revolver

4K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  squint 
#1 ·
Was scouting around for more big cat tracks in the snow before buying a couger hunting tag this year, came upon a fresh kill.

I wasn't hunting yet, just looking around. Thought, just in case I'll just go ahead and slip my little stainless 44 mag Birdshead (BH) into my jeans back pocket, after stumbling acoss what looked like fairly fresh deer tracks - on a back country dirt jeep trail.

Wasn't gonna be long in the field on foot, just a quick look see, maybe 30-50 yards into the brush from my truck was my thinking. As I proceeded, saw a tiny bit of blood splatter on some oak brush about chest level, immediately my hand slapped at the easy feeling BH grip in my back pocket(loaded with very low recoiling 300g beartooth bullets). Hairs raised, my quick pointing Birdshead in hand .... I proceeded slowly, my head on a swivel scanning all around.

About 5 more steps, in just short order emerged into a clearing below a 10 foot ledge of some boulders. I mean to tell you, that 25 foot clearing was covered in fur, nearly dried blood dampened and trampled into the ground in the midst of all that hair. Kinda looked like an abrasive 1970's rusty colored shag carpet where you could lay down and take a snooze on.

Needless to say, will be lion hunting that area over the next 3 months. Plus glad I had something small and powerful in hand during that little shindig 🙂. Would have had my 4.75 inch 475 Freedom Arms holstered (loaded with low recoiling 400g bullets) but figured the big bear of the area was sleeping for the winter.

Nice to have access to the 44 mag BH (now my favorite 'pocket only' Howdah gun).

But WILL BE hunting with either scoped (or not) FREEDOM ARMS m83 and shooting sticks! Just need to find a higher boulder to climb on. Chagrin!

See less See more
#2 ·
buddy had a pocket rocket too. His was a bond derriger in 44 mag. He kept I loaded with 300 grain cast bullets loaded with 20 grains of 110. I shot it once and after pulling the trigger on the first barrel he had to shame me into the second shot and I srunched up like a little girl! My favorite gun that's carried like that is my 45 colt ruger montado. It fits nicely in your front pocket. Sure isn't concealed but its handy walking in the woods.

#3 ·
... looked at cool derringers for years, and ouch, but want one! Grin.

Have not had ss 3.75 Howdy Birdy long, shot some stinging 'what i think are fast powder' factory 44 loads so will use gloves in future. Even swapped smooth grips on it, from another gun which may have helped. But planned on plinking downloads for general shooting anyway.

Have put together some 44 lower vel. heavy bullet 4227 loads (but will look at hs6 to, at least) that need to sight in but have used something similiar in Packer 50 plus 475 & 454 yet those are long grip holster guns built to channel recoil energy/vel. Will still use gloves with pretty little 44 Birdy. Ha!

Son and I been having fun with blued 45acp Birdy which have not had long either, very easy shooting! Was thinking about a general industrial hard chrome finish on that one and will wear blue off soon am sure but think it will look good too.

Have some older blued SAs will leave as is.

#4 ·
Yup big Iron is comforting. But Cougars are not hard to put down and a lesser caliber might get you better repeat shots. As well as shots on target even.

I was watching a Jim Shockey video where he was charged by a Cat and killed it mere feet from himself. Scary stuff.

They tell us we have none here. I know it’s bill I have seen the evidence. Thankfully we don’t have many and may not even have resident animals. But they are here.

Head on a swivel.

CW

#6 ·
Yup big Iron is comforting. But Cougars are not hard to put down and a lesser caliber might get you better repeat shots.

I was watching a Jim Shockey video where he was charged by a Cat and killed it mere feet from himself. Scary stuff.

They tell us we have none here. I know it’s bill I have seen the evidence. Thankfully we don’t have many and may not even have resident animals. But they are here.

Head on a swivel.

CW
Yup agree, thought about something smaller but still hang out in big bear areas quite a bit, for now.

ps: have had some run-ins with cats and wolves over the years, shotgun is best. lol

#12 ·
I like 45 montado too. It fits fairly well in the front pocket. Certainly not what id consider consealed in the front pocket but its a handy woods gun like that.

#7 ·
AGREED!!!

I’m not a 10mm can be more powerful than a 41 mag guy. I know full what it is and isn’t. But still like what it brings to the table. Loaded with heavy WFN bullets you will penetrate into and thru vitals from any angle. Have a firearm that very controllable and plenty accurate all with more than adequate power . As a back up to that 870. (My preferred)

CW

#8 ·
CW, yes for sure 10mm is a fabulous caliber and would be all over it in a single action revolver if had 10mm in 1911 already. My 81 year old Dad still has his ported Springfield 10mm from when first released in 80s or so, think FBI was looking hard at that flexible and powerful caliber back then.

Regarding birdy or montado type revolver, for & small powerful gun, the 327 mag (from your other post nearby) is also a very appealing caliber!

Both are cool and fast rounds!

#9 ·
I am very much enjoying the 327. I’m hitting the range EOD with chrony to test a couple Loads

I don’t see it as a big game Gun. But I’ll tell ya. With the 125,140&150g bullets I am testing I have ZERO WORRYS it wouldn’t penetrate deeply enough to Get exits anywhere on anything around here.

My 150 Lyman 311440 is boing 950 now hoping to break 1000 and I’ll stop as long as accuracy and pressures dictate.

CW

#10 ·
Great job .... and beautiful rig.

Love the cast lead bullets yet would be curious about hard core jacketed bullet availability to compliment things ....

eg. something like Hornady xtp mag, where have some cutting expansion but not too much where still could get an exit hole at that velocity. I don't know, perhaps jacketed bullet needs more weight for momentum. But still, some cutting & penetration would be at least a nice option for me, tho like solids alot.

Viewed your gun on the other thread. Like those sights & grip panels, perfect for that gun and would help my aging eyes someday am sure, tho my eyes still currently passing for brass bead use, for most part.

#11 ·
I about it more last night. My 150g Lymans are now right where I am happy 1050 FPS.
My 140’s are 1125 and 115/120’s from 1000-1400fps.

I shot these two targets offhand one and two handed at 25 yards unsupported. Right was after sight adjustment.

Recreation

I ordered a Accurate 31-135c Last week too. It’s designed for the S7 cyl length.

I’m real happy with this revolver!

#13 ·
OMG do these 135g Accurate Mold bullets shoot!!!

> 1” @ 25 yards. Clocking 1075 avg I smacked a 2.5” stone five for five off hand today at 65 yards!!

LOVING THIS GUN!

#15 · (Edited)
Used to have a friend (passed now) that carried a colt sa with a 4 inch barrel when he hunted big cats with dogs in Wyoming, and south Dakota. It was cut down from a 7.5 inch barrel. Carried loaded with pure lead full wadcutters, gas checks. Used to keep cats off of his dogs, and it worked real well. Have the gun,holster,belt, and 2 boxes of his ammo in my safe. No cats where i live (well you best not shoot one ) in central Florida, but i carry it in the hammocks where the big hogs live.(850fps swc loads.)

#18 ·
heck its gone now. Just traded it to my buddy for a bdl stainless 300 wby. But i did by a springfield emp 40 that would probably fit in a BIG pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.