Graybeard Outdoors banner

Got a package from Chambers today!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  spruce 
#1 · (Edited)
After 3 long months of waiting I've finally received my package from Chambers! This one is a York in 40 cal, so time to get started. My wife said, "so I guess I won't see you for a couple months"...

Should be fun!!!

I should also add that I just noticed that they knocked $100 off of the wood upgrade due to the long wait for the stock to be milled. It is a pleasure doing business with Chamber's and I enjoyed chatting with Barbie... Highly recommend them, again!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I hear ya, dumped about 6 inches with freezing rain as desert and then pile on 35 mph and a low of 6 tonight.... Perfect day to get it started! Got the barrel channel scraped and had to move the barrel back a bit, coming along. This is too much fun...

#4 ·
Holy cow this is some hard wood!!! My first gun had similar grade of wood with figure throughout, but this chunk is by far harder than that. Got some hours into it this last weekend, so got the barrel channel scraped, tang inlet and underlugs placed.

#6 ·
From the picture, that buttstock is going to be a beautiful piece of wood.

How about pictures as you progress, I'm too inept to build a kit but really love to watch others do it.

#7 ·
That figure carries all the way through the stock, I wet it to show figure, but the forend dried before the picture so doesn't show well.

I will do that. So far I have inlet the barrel/tang and have the lock nearly inlet as well.

#9 ·
When your in the woods putting meat in the pot and the game isn't cooperating you won't get bored. You can always just sit there and admire your gun.
You are exactly right. He'll never get tired of looking at it.:tango_face_smile:

#10 ·
That is the truth, I am using my first as reference and still am mesmerized by the figure!

Here are a few pics of progress, it's going pretty smooth so far. Only issue so far is one of my barrel tab pin holes went in crooked... Luckily you can't see both sides at once!!!

Attachments

#11 ·
I have a TC pre Seneca 36 caliber that is a turd by comparison to what you have there but nonetheless I have as much fun in the squirrel woods with that old gun as one can have.

A couple of years ago I was sitting on the edge of a woods as the sky started turning pink in the east. There was an alfalfa field to the north and 200 acres of woods to the south. I was perched in position to see a notorious skirl den tree. I say notorious because I have had more squirrels escape me to the security of that den tree than any other tree in the woods. As I was sitting there in the ambush mode I caught movement to the north out in the alfalfa. It was a coyote and since the alfalfa was at 3/4 growth I could only see the top half of the coyote. He was angeling my way with a little rise in the landscape between us. When he went behind that rise I scooched around on my butt and readied my 36. When he came over the crest of the rise he was 150 yards. He closed at angle to about 100 yards and froze in his track when he cut my trail where I crossed the field coming to the woods. It was too late for mr coyotie as I feathered the trigger, the FFF powder lit and the little 36 ball was on its way. I couldn't see anything but smoke hanging in the air and of course there was that rotten egg fart smell blowing back my way from the cloud. Once the smoke cleared I could see the coyote doing the twitch of death. Actually all I could see was his tail come up and then go down a few times. He was stone cold dead by the time I got to him as he had a 36 caliber hole in his chest on one side. It didn't go clear through but then I was not trying to be Jeremiah Johnson by trying to make a grizzler bear gun out of a 36. I had enough powder in the pipe to knock a skirl out the top of a hickory tree and they were my quarry that day.

I have killed almost 400 coyotes in my hunting days(392 to be exact) but none made me smile more than the one that I poleaxed with the little 36.

#12 ·
That is a great story and why real smoke poles are so much fun! And that is a heck of a lot of yotes! I intend to be tree rat hunting with this one as well, the 40 might be a bit big for them but better than the 54...

#13 ·
Haven't had much time to work on it lately, but I got the lock and tang tapped and got the trigger installed and adjusted. Pretty nice trigger for the simplicity of it!

(for some reason this site does not recognize a picture as rotated, I save as rotated on my computer and it is still upside-down or sideways...)

Attachments

#14 ·
A lot of work done on it since last post, I'm in final stages. Just need to put last few coats of finish on, dovetail sights in and blue the barrel and I can throw lead!!!

First pic is the 40 cal with the 54 cal I built last year, second is after first coat of finish.

This project is a good distraction from the rest of the world. Next project is loading ammo...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.