Graybeard Outdoors banner

83 or 97

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  squint 
#1 ·
I am interested in obtaining a FA revolver 41 Mag caliber but sure could use some help in choosing model 83 or 97. Those of you with experience please chime in.

#3 ·
I’d shoot a 97 before spending that kinda coin. A lot of folks like them but the one I had cut me too many times even after some grip work by Reeder so I sold it. Even a middle of the road charge in 44 special felt somewhat abusive. I currently have a Ruger Bisley Flattop NMBH in 44 special that I have no issues with at all. The 83 is a big & heavy gun but it is a dream to shoot IMO. A packing pistol it’s not. Good luck with your decision! I’ll attach a pic of my 41, love it!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Give John a call at FA, he has always been helpful/knowkelgeable when I can explain my approach and needs and its enjoyable to discuss with him. He did mention awhile back that generally the 97 is about a 10% reduction in size and weight incl. grip frame compared to 83.

I am already so accustomed to 83 and dont want to change what am used to. The 83 would be more recoil manageable for me, plus 4.75 inch or less is EASILY packable for my needs. Their grip frame has always managed recoil better than Ruger Bisley even, for myself. Perhaps its the same with 97?

Everyone is different.

If starting over depending on experience, I think I might go with 97 if recoil is not a significant concern in 41, tho I have never fired m97. But here is something important; Experimenting with Handloads really make a difference regardless of model I would think, as 41 & 44 seems quicker in recoil with factory loads. Good to try before buying if possible. He said 357 in their guns is also pleasant, same with 41 yet each person is different and loads can be really different.

Shooting magnums always takes practice and best to take the time to work up to full loads, enjoy the process, be patient as I can with it all. Enjoy & good luck.

ps: Attached are my easiest packable SA guns, FA 83 on right in 50ae compared to the image of light weight Rugers(since I dont have a m97) to left. The 83 grip frame & extra weight mitigates recoil much much better. These are not bench guns, if bench gun would go with longer barrel. Hope some of this helps!

Gun Revolver

#7 ·
SteveJr454,
Have not yet on 500we, thought about it of course-like the data alot! Got 50 couple decades ago and favorite chest gun when wearing waders in high density bear areas.

Picked up Rugers at a few shows past year for son's and I to experiment with, 45acp & 44m, deals just could not pass up. Will sell them when they are ready for something else. Download 44 enough to make it fun.

Squint

#8 ·
Squint,
Thought it might have been the 50ae I owned at one time. Mine had the 500we cylinder. Don’t wast your money on a 500we cylinder for the packer. Way to much recoil for the 3” barrel. When shooting the 500we in my packer, it would always draw blood some where on my hands. The 50ae cylinder is a lot more fun to shoot. I was shooting 440 grain bullets out of the we cylinder. My 7 1/2” barrel was a lot more manageable, I enjoyed shooting the 440 grains through that gun.

#9 · (Edited)
Question...what is going to be the main function and how hot a load do you want to run?

I have four...
83 6" square butt

83 4.75" round butt (at the factory now having the barrel cut from 6" to 4.75)

97 4.25" round butt

97 5.5" square butt

Have had the 83 (really a 654) since about 2002...have put tons of heavy cast reloads through it. Have both hunted with it and shot some very long range targets (780 yards). It is a sweetheart to shoot. Everything so far has been 250-300 grain bullets with 19-22 grains of H110 depending on the bullet. Recoil is pleasant to most everything else I've shot.

Just bought the other 83 round butt earlier in the month specifically to send back to FA to have the barrel shortened as it was a round butt. Shot it as a 6" before shipping and the trigger is almost too light. Bought it used and got a good price.

97 round butt...a little sweetheart...wonderful gun to carry. Have had it over 10 years. It is NOT friendly to shoot with full charge 250 grain loads but most everything else from 165 to 220 runs just fine. I've standardized on a MP mold that throws a 180 FP and 165 HP. Run them in the 1300s and just fine to shoot.

97 square butt...very nice all-around gun. Have been shooting Accurate 41-215V and 250F which are the same bullet in different weights. With 8-9 grains of Unique it has plenty of power that isn't overpowering to the shooter.

Only drawback to the 97 is the shorter than most everything else (except the no longer made Tarus Tracker) cylinder... 99% of all factory loads will fit till you get beyond 250 grain LBTs or Keith bullets...they are a no go unless deep seated.

If you cast your own you just have to choose your weight and nose design carefully.

The 97 also makes a GREAT .41 Special. Use Starline brass and now any bullet can be used. Can't quite get the same velocity as using Magnum brass but in the small frame 97 who really cares.

Bob

#13 · (Edited)
Great image for comparison, VISUALLY there doesnt seem to be a huge difference (aside from barrel lengths and rounded grips) but your experience described earlier is really valuable info.

In my mind .... using just a visual approach can always be decieving of course, but also regarding just specs on paper too - would be easy to think; is 10% reduction in weight & size really that big of a difference yet it very well could be, depending on each individual! So handling and shooting first still a good idea where possible, an exception could be lots and lots of experience with many revolvers, grip styles, weights, balance, loads and lengths.

Another item of interest between the 83 and 97 is the transfer bar on the 97, it is a great feature for sure yet I would only carry 4 rounds (an empty under firing pin) in 'any' revolver. That is undoubtably the best and safest practice!! The ONLY practice.

#14 ·
Regarding my ealier photo with Birdshead grips next to FA Packer, gotta say there is no comparison to the grip on FA. As soon as I start ramping up loads in the little Rugers, the recoil becomes painful for me. The birdshead grips are just too rounded in back to make significant recoil comfortable in my hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.