Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre 73 Topper 20GA barrel swap CLOSE no longer needed

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  chuckduster01 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know this is a long shot.

Sight unseen, I bought one of the old early scalloped/milled 20gauge barrels for my Topper 158 20ga/30-30 combo gun (snap on forend/milled lightweight receiver). My desire was a sacrificial lamb to chop from 26 down to 20 inches while keeping my original set complete. Well because I was ignorant and did not know there was scalloped frames and barrels out there with screw on forends, I need to do something about my oops. I thought all the scalloped barrels were snap on forends…..I was wrong.

If someone out there has a scalloped 20 gauge or perhaps a 410 barrel with a snap on forend stud and needs a scalloped 26 inch 20 gauge with a mod choke and a screw on style forend in pretty darn nice used shape I would make them a swap.

If no takers I am going to have to find a way to remove the existing screw stud and make and install a snap on forend stud before I break out the hacksaw and make my 20 inch no choke bunny barrel I seek.

To be clear I am seeking a trade for an old school 410 or 20 gauge scalloped topper barrel with a snap on forend stud like the one in the top pic. The 20 gauge barrel in question fits my 158 Topper frame like a glove so it is not for sale....for trade only.

To be further clear: I need a SCALLOPED/MILLED old style barrel in 20 gauge(preferably) or a 410 barrel like the top one in the pics so I can make my 20GAX26" Mod/30-30 Topper 158 set complete with a 20 gauge shorty or add a 410 to the set, either or.

Really hope someone out there is in the opposite pickle I am in.

thanks.

Top barrel style is what I seek, bottom barrel is the one for possible trade:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
1) My Topper 158 is real walnut. 2) I do not really want to have to keep a tool and a spare forend with my "kit". 3) Them two additional things will not fit in my original canvas Topper case either. 4) I can be picky and want it as close to "correct" as possible.

Barring a miracle and someone having the opposite issue I have I will just tig a stud on the barrel and remove the screw stud with a cold method like saw/file. Hopefully that does not discolor things too much. With a good heat sink or a barrel full of water I should be OK...I hope.

#4 ·
Goforth's book lists all M158 Toppers having walnut stained hardwood or walnut finished hardwood, the only H&R Inc Topper that I've read of having American walnut stocks are the Mustangs.

Tim

#5 ·
It has a walnut stock, red rubber buttpad and snap on forend and it was bought that way brand new by a Great Aunt through the mail and it has no serial number. It has a small chip by the receiver and I can assure you it is indeed walnut. Country of origin of said tree I do not know, but I know it is walnut and it was bought that way new.

The Great Aunt lived alone on an island in Lake Huron and it was her deer rifle/meat gathering tool before she passed it on to me then passed on herself. She was not a stock maker or a gunsmith. She bought things to use, and this "tool" was one of her prized possessions. Other than a little mildew staining on the canvas bag and the sling swivel on the buttstock and barrel band on the barrel I installed eons ago, it is as the way it was sent. And it is very much walnut.

Attachments

#7 ·
You believe your book iffin ya unt to. I will believe my eyes, my nose and 40 years of working with wood. We will both sleep soundly tonight.

This thread can be closed, I have a welder lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.