Graybeard Outdoors banner

You guys may be a bad influence

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  The Old Man 
#1 ·
So found a 243 handi locally which I think my girl has appropriated as hers. Can't get too mad I guess since she gave me the good go ahead with checking out a 45/70 and 500 s&w handi local to me.

#2 ·
You've been bitten haha. I suggest the 45/70. I've yet to see be that wasn't a shooter right off. You can load it mild to wild and factory ammo is easy to find. One online store lists 44 options!!!

#5 ·
You are right, we are a very bad influence....we're the "Enablers". Seriously, go for the .45-70 before the .500. The .500 kills ya trying to accomplish what the .45-70 does, and doesn't come close. If ya need to stop T-Rex at ten feet the .500 might work somewhat better, but otherwise, I'd go with the .45-70. It ain't just "a hundred yard rifle". Learn it, shoot it. If you can see it you can hit it. The .500 can't come close.

Pete

#9 ·
My own preference leans towards the .444marlin. I bought one not too long after H&R shut down, new old stock on gun grabber for 220$.

Never been sorry I did. Camo composite stock and it will outshoot both my .44mag's and the .45 colt.

I've never compared it directly to a 45-70, and I do NOT shoot mine with full power loads.

6-13 grains of Red Dot is more than enough to have it shooting cloverleafs out to 100. Easy on wallet, shoulder, and ears.

#10 ·
That girl sounds like a real keeper! My girl was the same way, but you need to be careful, should you two tie the knot the seriousness of the situation may escalate like mine did!

I am now apprihensive about going to the gun shoppe with my wife.... if I don't manage to get her out of there right quick she be bringing another gun home!:tango_face_wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.