Graybeard Outdoors banner

New to me 17 HMR

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kylongrifle 
#1 ·
Just got home from my LGS where I picked up a GunBroker auction win. It's a NEF sportster in 17HMR with a heavy contour barrel. I have owned a few handi's in my time and have a 223 ultra now but I'm really impressed with the trigger on this one. I don't know if someone performed a trigger job but it breaks at less than 3 lbs and has no travel take up. It's a 384xxx detail number anybody have an idea of the manufacturer date? With the smooth trigger it's got I hope it's a shooter. How have the rimfires for accuracy?

#2 ·
What are the first 2 letters of the serial number? Also, what address is on the receiver? There is a chart here on the forum that gives the year of manufacture based on the serial number prefix. If the address is Ilion, it is one of the very last ones made. Just a couple quick tips.

#4 ·
HMR's are known for their accuracy potential. My best woodchuck is 238 (Rangefider) yds, and the other chuck hunter is 350yds. Special Regulations Area in PA restricts rifle hunting for varmit and predators to rimfire only, (shotguns with shotshells if you want).

Sub MOA is normal.

#6 ·
Going to give this one a try this weekend. I had a handi in 22 Hornet for years that I fox hunted with and was my general truck gun for groundhogs and crow sniping. Never was into the synthetic stocks liked the weight wood added to the gun but with all the barrel steel this on feels pretty good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.