Graybeard Outdoors banner

The Sense of Evil.

74K views 266 replies 98 participants last post by  brayh92 
#1 ·
While reading my favorite forum (unusual stories), I came across a thread by Echo4Lima, titled “What was it?” Fascinating thread.

His discussion of the sixth sense is one we should expand upon.

In writing my book on safety topics, I discuss this sense, giving examples from experts in several fields who recount personal stories of being saved by the “sudden sense of danger”. (Jim Corbett, numerous military vets, personal experiences, etc.)

One of my own experiences was during a different kind of hunting. (It was in the “outdoors”, so I’m going to go ahead and post it; I hope you’ll forgive me.) I was a Dallas Police Officer, training a new officer. He was much older than I, in fact, he’d been an Army Ranger during Vietnam, when I was only a child. Very level-headed, mature, and cool, as you’d expect.

We were sent to a “missing neighbor” call. Nobody’s seen the folks next door for a week. Papers on the grass, etc. Maybe dead inside, maybe gone and forgot to cancel delivery, who knows? It was about noon, in the middle of the summer. Not an intense call, and we’re very relaxed about it.

As we approach the front door, I start to get a weird feeling. Almost like a physical resistance to moving forward. The hairs on my neck were standing up, but I forced myself to knock at the door. I’m being watched, and I’m the example. I’ve got to do my job. No answer. I had to look in the window. I tell my “rookie”, “Hey, go around back, see if the door’s open. I don’t smell anything like a dead body, but if we can check, we really should.” As he circles the house, I screw up my courage, and look into the windows at the front of the house. Piles of books and magazines clutter the house. I mean 4 to 6 foot piles, or stacks, more precisely. I had the strong sense of something watching me, and a strong sense of evil. Like Echo4Lima, I found myself thinking; “If I go in there, it’ll get me. I’ll never come out.” I had a sense of something lurching through the darkness of the unlit house. Something evil. The phrase someone, never came to mind. It was some THING….

I’m not a religious person, I don’t hunt ghosts or panic easily. I’ve been shot at a few times, and am still here to tell about it. I’d never felt like this except in childhood nightmares. I understand about how the amygdala (primal fear center) works, and can see no logical reason for its sudden stimulation.

About this time, the “rookie” came back around, and said the back was locked up. I said, “Good, let’s go”, and we did. Quickly. About 2 blocks away, he said, “Man, I don’t know what it was, but from the time we got out of the car, that place scared the **** out of me! I’ve never felt anything like that. There was something evil in that house.”

I hadn’t told him of my fears, and we hadn’t been telling creepy stories beforehand, but we’d both had the same primal fear instinct. We talked about it (but only between ourselves) for days.

I never found out what was in the house, and I never want to.

And I never doubt that when somebody says they sensed evil, that they were telling the truth.

Gavin deBecker, in his excellent (except for biased, anti-gun comments) book, the “Gift of Fear”, says:

“Intuition is soaring flight compared to the plodding of logic.
Nature’s greatest accomplishment, the human brain, is never more efficient or
invested than when its host is at risk. Then, intuition is catapulted to another
level entirely, a height at which it can accurately be called graceful, even miraculous.
Intuition is the journey from A to Z without stopping at any other letter along the way.
It is knowing, without knowing why."

Echo4Lima is right. It is there, it is in us, and it’s for a reason. Heed it.

See less See more
#3 ·
I should call and find out. I left later that week for Indiana (became a State Trooper). This was literally one of my last Dallas calls. The guy I worked with is still there.

We talked to the neighbors via phone before we went, and the resident we were looking for sounded like a recluse. Being that it was in July and over a weeks worth of papers were on the lawn, I know we could have smelled decomposition. (Been there, seen that, won't ever forget it. Dallas heat is even hard on dead folks...) He could've been traveling, or wandered off and become one of the anonymous dead that were sometimes found. With no searching relatives, and no criminal record, a corpse can easily go unidentified for a long time. Then again, by the looks of the house, he could've been mentally impaired, and finally taken in by a relative, who hadn't yet gotten around to fixing up the house. Usually, somebody with a house isn't THAT anonymous!

We documented our experience (without the spook factor), and told our Sergeant about it, so I'm sure there was some more back and forth, but I was out of there.

#4 ·
Interesting story, This Sense of Evil.

Does it belong in the (Sixth Sense) Category? This would be the one that as an example, would make a Civil war soldier quit the saddle just moments before a bullet would cross it.

Another example might come from the Lumber Jack camp's. Some of these guys would claim to be extremely startled at times then turn to see a deer watching them. They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to
Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
I do ok as a Coyote/Fox hunter and highly recommend playing the part of the injured animal as it does seem to pay-off so there might be some merit to the above. On the other hand, guys can do well with an elect
Call and I am pretty sure that a Foxpro doesn't have any soul or feelings!.

In my own experience, I have had times that I knew I was being watched. My feelings would range from (I knew something was there) TO (an extreme sense of the willies) that I felt once as a fourteen year old returning from
A hunt. (I still think that a large cat was watching me on that one) ;D

I have never felt the deep sense of foreboding that tells one to get out now. Was just wandering if this is all the same.
Thanks
GB

#5 ·
They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
Rightly or wrongly I have over the years become convinced that at least some deer can read the intentions in the mind of a hunter. Laugh if you will. But it sure seems to me I see far more game from a stand when I can keep thoughts of killing from my mind and keep thoughts of most anything else in my mind. Might be purely coincidental but I accept it enough that when on stand I make every possible attempt to not think thoughs of killing game in my mind. I have no proof just my feelings on the matter.

#243 ·
There might be something to that.
I have young, known the sucker since he was size of a soft ball in my yard.
When I am in a good mood just walking I can stop, even if he is just ten or so feet away, look a him, he looks at me and keeps on , keeping on.
If I am in a bad mood, if I stop and look at him, even if he is a good ways away, he will run, stop and look and then keep on moving.

#6 ·
Ive sensed that a few times while out hunting also. My most recent was one evening when I was stalking through the bottom of a creek bed looking for squirrels. The hair on the my entire body stood up I just stopped dead in my tracks. It the worst feeling of dread Ive ever experienced. I froze mid-step and stood like that for what seemed like an eternity though only a minute. I was fighting the urge to turn around and run like a bat out of **** out of that ravine. I lost that battle and all I remember is snapping my holster and sprinting as fast as I could and jumping over logs. Trees and bushes were a blurr. I won state track a couple times so I was really moving. I got back to my truck but didn't drive away, I just sat there shivering. That was the most recent occurrence. I felt it twice while hunting before that but this was the worst.

#7 ·
Graybeard said:
They reckoned that they felt the deers reaction to Seeing them. Some years latter other sources such as a hunting mag article would suggest that one should keep a very neutral frame of mind while hunting to keep the opposite from happening!
Rightly or wrongly I have over the years become convinced that at least some deer can read the intentions in the mind of a hunter. Laugh if you will. But it sure seems to me I see far more game from a stand when I can keep thoughts of killing from my mind and keep thoughts of most anything else in my mind. Might be purely coincidental but I accept it enough that when on stand I make every possible attempt to not think thoughs of killing game in my mind. I have no proof just my feelings on the matter.
You may not, at first, think this is relevant to what you had to say, but think about it. There was a woman in the congregation of a church that I once pastored who did not like dogs. I had a small Boston Terrier female that had never bitten, or even tried to bite, anyone until she came in contact with this particular woman. The little dog, when this woman came around, would go after her hammer and tongs. She showed no aggression toward anyone else.

I have theorized that subtile differences in body chemistry brought about by emotion might change a person's body odor enough to set a dog, or other animal, off.

#8 ·
Graybeard said:
I don't find that strange at all, have you ever noticed how differently deer react to you when you are not hunting, just walking through the woods. Sometimes they will just stand there and stare at you. How often do they do that when you have a gun in your hands?

#9 ·
Before I entered the denomination in which I preached for many years, I belonged to another group. A well-known evangelist, complete with tent, who had belonged to that group was expelled after he was arrested for drunk driving and after he refused to appear before a board of elders and explain. He had an abiding antagonism after his expulsion for that group.

In the early 1960's, I was attending a Bible Institute operated by the church that had expelled him. This evangelist set up his tent in a nearby city and announced that one of his intentions was to correct the damage that the Bible Institute had done to many of its students. Actually, he stated his intention to "cast the demons that had been put into [the students] by [the school]." Several of we students, out of curiosity, went over for one of his services. We arrived about 7 p.m. For two hours, we watched and listened to.... I'll not go into detail. It would take too much space. About 9 p.m., after two hours of almost hypnotic music and other things, I suddenly got the feeling that I was in the presence of something terribly evil. We, the girl that I would marry and I, left. And I don't scare easily--if fear was what I was feeling. It might have been intense aversion--and fear.

I've never again felt what I felt that night.

#10 ·
I had that same feeling of dread at New Echota, GA. We were allowed to tour an old house. The hair on my neck was standing up the whole time. I refused to enter the basement. I later found out that about 6000 Cherokees died in a large pen in the side yard of the house prior to being started on the Trail of Tears.

#11 ·
Graybeard said:
Rightly or wrongly I have over the years become convinced that at least some deer can read the intentions in the mind of a hunter. ...when on stand I make every possible attempt to not think thoughs of killing game in my mind.
While reading a book about big buck hunting several years back, a well known deer hunter out of WI named Greg Miller talked about how he thinks big bucks have an uncanny sense(sixth sense) to know when a hunter is around. He talks about how an abnormal amount of bucks know when to hold up, stay out of range or when to bolt just at the right times, etc. Now when he hunts if you ever see his videos, he often doesn't look directly at the deer. This is because in his book he said he thinks staring influences the buck's ability to use his sixth sense.

To comment about the sense of something... One night several years ago I came home and my cat was there. Immediately as I came home I felt something very erie. What was even more strange is the hair on my cat's back was all puffed up and his eyes became dilated as if sensing what I was sensing. I quickly grabbed my 9mm and combed every inch of my house. I found nothing and will never forget the feeling "we" both experienced that evening.

Snareman

#12 ·
What a great bunch of stories! I knew this would be a group that "got it". I've never put together the "neutral mindset" hunting technique, but it makes great sense. I always caught more crooks when I wasn't being "aggressive" in my patrolling or surveillance. (I'll have to try it with coyotes and groundhogs now!!)

Dogs are another issue. I've always had problems with them. Big ones seem to hate me. Mauled by a big one as a child, I grew up intimidated by large dogs. These days, I'm able to be friendly with most of them, and utilize body language, and pack dynamics (taught to me by a canine handler). There's one in my neighborhood though, that hates my ever-loving guts. Wonderful golden lab, great with kids, etc. Hates me. I've hypothesized that it's because his owner and friends are dope-smokers (I can smell it from 5 houses away), and they emit fear signals when they see the "local Trooper" walk by, and that angers the dog, who views his actions as protective of his "pack". (Honestly, I couldn't care less about their personal habits. They're not criminals, otherwise, but pot's illegal, and I know I make them nervous, even though I've been off the force for several years now.)

Here's another thought along these lines.

The inventor of the polygraph (lie-detector) was named Baxter. He experimented with his device constantly. He experimented on PLANTS with the thing, and found out that they emitted electrical signals that were related to the moods of people nearby. In fact, plants that belonged to a particular person would continue to emit similar "mood" signals to the owner, even when the owner was far away.

One of his interesting tests along these lines was to devise machine to dump a bowl of brine-shrimp ("sea-monkeys"!) into boiling water at random time. Plants in the room were "wired", and times were recorded on the polygraph print out. The laboratory was left empty except for the plants, polygraph, and "killing machine" for several days. When examined, the printout showed mass "emotional turmoil" of the plants each time brine shrimp were killed. (This is documented, among other places, in a great book, called "The Secret Life of Plants".)

Some theorize that the ability to pick up on these "signals" was an early evolutionary survival tool, which has been lost or ignored, since we developed language and other technology to communicate.

I found it interesting to think that the "fear signals" you pick up could be those of someone (or thing) else. I'd not considered that. Funny that both hunter and prey might flee in opposite directions for the same reason!! (And who knows; maybe God's way of keeping us both alive?)

Ray's group hypnotism story of the evangelist was also telling. I've been around people with the gift of convincing people of crazy ideas. Scary group of humans there. I hope he doesn't lead a group of folks to their demise.

In another (hope I'm not boring you...) police story; my partner and I stopped an average car one night for a traffic violation. Nothing wrong but the speeding. As we pulled to a stop, Craig and I looked at each other, and said, "There's something wrong..." We marked out (told the dispatcher where we were) on traffic (unusual for a 2 man car to do), and went forward. License check had shown the car to not be stolen or anything. Car was well maintained, not crappy, like most criminal's cars. I went to the passenger window, as Craig approached the driver. I stared intently at the driver's hands, and as he reached into the center console "for his registration", I had a momentary glimpse of the butt of a pistol. I yelled "Gun!", an drew my own, but the department mandated ammo I carried in my .41 mag would've punched through this guy, and drilled Craig's leg if I'd tried to shoot, so I slapped the window with my gun to distract him, and Craig peeled him out of the car.

We found the 9mm in the console, and a .380 under his seat. He wouldn't speak a word. Worst yet was the note in his wallet. It read something like "Praise be to Allah. Allah blesses the bullets, and may his blessing speed me to heaven for killing the police officers." (This was back before Islamic terrorism was a widely discussed issue; about 1990, I think. Whether he set out that specific night to kill police officers, or just carried this with him all the time; I don't know.

I hope you'll continue to add stories and experiences. It's a fascinating field, and whenever somebody indicates that science has "just about figured it all out", I just laugh. There are a mountain of interesting things left to discover and explain, and the next years will be full of eye-opening discoveries. In a funny twist, the farther science moves, the closer it comes to religion. You find more and more astro-physicists and others discussing religious-like topics. Some, like Ray Kurzweil (in his fascinating book; The Singularity is Near), reach WAY out there to our relationship to God, the universe, and the future.

#13 ·
I was reading this post on a friends account and had to join myself. I have a couple of stories to relate to you.

First, i grew up hunting in the Ouachita River hills of North Central Louisiana about 30 miles south of Monroe. Ive been hunting in those hills since i was about 4 years old with my grandfather and father and uncles. They had always told me of a couple of places in those hills where they wouldnt go because of the feelings they got while there. I always just put it off as campfire stories. Now i want you to take into account that at the time of this story i was about 30 years old and had been climbing over and around these hills for 26 years or so on my own and im 6'5" tall and 350 pounds. I know those hills like the back of my hand. I was riding my 4 wheeler off the beaten path this day, and looking for new places to deer hunt. I rode down a steep incline into a river bottom with a large creek running through it. These bottoms usually are covered with dense undergrowth and vines hanging from all the trees. This particular bottom startled me as i drove into it, as it looked like a manicured lawn. There was no undergrowth, no vines, for about 10 feet up into the canopy. The area could be described as second growth timber, probably cut over around 70 or 80 years ago. But what was funny was there was a line around the edge of this bottom where the undergrowth stopped. like a wall. scattered all around this cleared bottom were large garden spider webs, more than usual for this area of Louisiana. As i crossed the line into this area i felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And a feeling of dread came over me. I stopped the 4 wheeler and got off. The feeling quickly passed as i looked around and wondered about this area. I walked away from my 4 wheeler and started to scout around looking for signs of deer or hogs. About 10 minutes later i had gotten about 100 yards or so from my bike when the feeling of dread came back over me. I began looking around and it felt as if someone were looking over my shoulder, but when i turned around there was no one and nothing there. I began to make my way back toward my bike, when i realized i couldnt see it any more. Now like i said i grew up in these hills, i know my way around, i always carry a compass and take a reading when i go in somewhere, but usually never have to use it to find my way out. But you know what, i had somehow gotten turned around. I moved around that bottom for about 20 minutes looking for my bike. When i finally found it i was so disoriented that i thought it was someone elses bike. It didnt even look right. During all this time i had noticed there was none of the usual sounds of the bugs and birds around. When i finally got back on my bike i put my key into it and turned it on, hit the starter, but it wouldnt start. I had to use the pull start to get it going. Believe me i was yankin on that thing like mad. Once i got it cranked and left the area, as i crossed the line where the undergrowth started again, the sense of being watched and dread left. I stopped and looked back, and still felt like someone was watching me from over there. I dont know what it was, or if some unknown evil had happened there in the past, but i do know i agree with my grandfather, dad, and uncles. I wont go there again.

The next story is short and happened about 10 miles from this same area on a bluff overlooking the same river.

My then girlfriend and future wife and i were doing the usual courting things and riding around on all the backroads looking for fun. We went down one road on our hunting club that dead ended near the river. I pulled over at a bluff that overlooked the river, because there was a tugboat coming up the river. As we sat there and watched it go by, this creepy feeling came over me, and i began to get real nervous. My future wife looked at me and said i had turned white, and asked was i alright. I replied that something was wrong and i had a bad feeling. She asked if i was sick, i replied no, it felt as if we were being watched. All the sudden i grabbed the starter switch and cranked the truck, threw it into gear and floored it. Scared her to death. I cant describe the feeling, but something was telling me to get out of there as fast as i could. Now ive always been taught to follow those kind of feelings, because someone is telling me something.

My family on both sides hail from Scotch/Irish descent. Ive always been told about the sight. Ive always listened to the stories with a hint of doubt. But after this and a couple more experiences involving deaths in the family ive had, im quickly becoming a believer in such things.

#14 ·
Dogs pick up on a lot things.

A dog owned by a drug user/pusher could very well pick up on his owner's apprehension when a law enforcement person approached/walked by the person--or his house. I repeat what I said above: Small changes in body odor as the result of emotion may be detected by dogs.

My sister once owned a female Boxer. The very gentle, child-loving dog would ignore you if you tried to sic her on to someone in a normal tone of voice, but, if my sister dropped her voice to a whisper, the dog would get ready to kill: alert, low growls. As far as we know, she was never formally trained to do this or anything else.

The Boxer, Janie, proved my adage: If you want to get a reputation as a good dog trainer, get a dog that is smart enough to learn things on its own and pretend that you taught it everything that it knows.

#15 ·
There have been numerous reports of dogs that were ordinarily tough, aggressive hunting dogs showing unusual fear and reluctance to "go out" when what was believed to be a Bigfoot was around.

I know, there is no such thing as a Bigfoot, and Old Boudreaux was just a way to scare the kids in Louisiana into behaving. (Did I spell "Boudreaux" correctly? My Cajun French is a little shaky--even if my wife's maiden name ends in "o" spelled "reaux.")

#16 ·
There's nothing quite as creepy as having your pet suddenly stand up, look down a darkened hallway, and arch with aggression or cower in fear!

In the book "The Gift of Fear", Gavin DeBecker postulates that many times, when animals seem to read a new person's character, they're actually reacting to our own signals of mistrust or unease. Certainly smell seems a likely conduit, but I think research has been very thin in the area of electricity and sound waves, too. Hunters and tourists have reported feelings of unease among elephants, and it was subsequently discovered that they communicate via an ultra-low-frequency sound wave. Likewise, I know that activity in various regions of the brain can be read by placing sensors on the scalp of the subject. I think it's very plausible that some people are more sensitive to electricity the way some are more sensitive to sound. Perhaps some people pick up other's "signals" and read their moods, or some people send out excessively strong signals, that can be read by anybody. They might be unaware of what they're experiencing, but the brain has put together the fact that "this vibration goes with that experience", and has set up a warning system in the form of a fear response.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but have been deep into the study of safety, self-defense, etc., for many years.

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the great stories and input.

#17 ·
I grew up in the hills of Tennessee. I believe in "the sight." There is no question in my mind that evil spirits and "ghost" exist.

Reactions: StannyLu
#18 ·
I TOLD MY FATHER ABOUT THIS FORUM AND HE RELATED TO ME A STORY ABOUT WHEN HE WAS A KID WHICH WAS A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF HIS OWN.

THIS TOOK PLACE IN ABOUT 1958.

MY FATHER GREW UP WITH A HUNTING RIFLE OR SHOTGUN IN HIS HAND. THREE BROTHERS AND A SISTER IN A RURAL COMMUNITY IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PART OF LOUISIANA CALLED FOR QUITE A BIT OF MEAT FOR THE TABLE. ALL THREE BOYS GREW UP HUNTING.

MY FATHER COULD NEVER WAIT FOR SQUIRREL SEASON TO OPEN. HE WOULD GET UP AT 3 AM EAT A QUICK BITE TO EAT AND START OUT WALKING THE 3 MILES TO HIS FAVORITE SQUIRREL STOMPING GROUNDS. HIS TRAVELS TOOK HIM DOWN A 4 MILE LONG GRAVEL ROAD WHICH ENDED ON BOTH ENDS AT A MAJOR BLACKTOP HIGHWAY. ABOUT 1/2 WAY DOWN THIS ROAD THERE LIVED A COLORED FAMILY. HUSBAND, WIFE, 12 YEAR OLD GIRL AND 16 YEAR OLD BOY. THE SCHOOLS WERE STILL SEGREGATED HERE AT THIS TIME, BUT AS ALL KIDS WERE EVERYONE KNEW EVERYONE FOR THE SURROUNDING 20 MILES. MY DAD AND THIS BOY HAD EVEN BEEN HUNTING TOGETHER BEFORE.

THE FATHER IN THIS FAMILY WORKED AS A DELIVERY MAN FOR A LOCAL FURNITURE STORE AND WAS VERY WELL LIKED IN THE AREA, HIS WIFE WORKED AT A LOCAL CLOTHING STORE, AND WAS ALSO WELL LIKED BY EVERYONE.

MY FATHER HAD LEFT HOME EARLY THAT MORNING ON HIS WAY TO A SQUIRREL FUNERAL. HE ALWAYS STOPPED IN AT THIS FAMILIES HOME AND DRANK COFFEE WITH THEM AS HE PASSED BY. THIS PARTICULAR MORNING WHEN HE WALKED UP THE DRIVE EVERYTHING SEEMED NORMAL. THE LANTERN ( THEY HAD NO ELECTRICITY) WAS HANGING OUT ON THE FRONT PORCH LIKE THEY WERE EXPECTING HIM TO STOP IN. SMOKE WAS COMING OUT THE CHIMNEY FROM THE WOOD BURNING STOVE. HE STEPPED UP ON THE PORCH AND THE WOOD DOOR WAS OPEN AS USUAL WITH THE SCREEN DOOR BEING CLOSED.

HE KNOCKED ON THE DOOR BUT THERE WAS NO RESPONSE. HE COULD HEAR THE BACON SIZZLING ON THE STOVE. HE WALKED AROUND TO THE BACK OF THE HOUSE TO THE BACK DOOR AND LOOKED IN. NO ONE IN SIGHT. HE KNOCKED ON THIS DOOR TOO WITH NO RESPONSE. BEING THE INQUISITIVE PERSON HE WAS HE OPENED THE DOOR AND STEPPED INTO THE KITCHEN. THE TABLE WAS SET WITH THE USUAL 4 COFFEE CUPS, ONE OF WHICH WAS HIS. THE FOOD WAS STILL COOKING ON THE STOVE, NOT YET BURNT. HE WALKED THROUGH THE HOUSE AND CALLED THEIR NAMES WITH NO RESPONSE. AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF LOOKING AND FINDING NOTHING HE PULLED THE FOOD OFF THE STOVE. HE THOUGHT MAYBE THEY HAD TO LEAVE FOR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER IN A HURRY. HE WENT BACK OUTSIDE AND LOOKED IN THE SHED FOR THEIR TRUCK. IT WAS STILL THERE.

FEELING THINGS WERE A LITTLE OUT OF SORTS BUT NOT SUSPECTING ANYTHING HE WENT ON HUNTING. ON HIS WAY BACK OUT HE STOPPED BACK BY THE HOUSE AND NOTICED EVERYTHING WAS STILL THE SAME WAY HE LEFT IT. HE HURRIED HOME AND TOLD HIS FATHER WHAT HAPPENED. MY GRANDFATHER CALLED THE LOCAL SHERRIFF AND ALL THREE WENT DOWN TO THE HOUSE. NOTHING WAS OUT OF PLACE, NOTHING WAS MISSING, INCLUDING TWO HUNTING RIFLES HANGING OVER THE MANTEL.

AFTER THREE DAYS OF INTENSE INVESTIGATION BY THE SHERRIFF'S OFFICE THE FAMILY WAS OFFICIALLY DECLARED MISSING. NOW I DO SAY INTENSE, WHICH MAY SOUND STRANGE FOR THIS DATE AND TIME IN THE RURAL SOUTH FOR A COLORED FAMILY, BUT AS I STATED THESE PEOPLE WERE VERY WELL LIKED IN THE COMMUNITY AND WELL THOUGHT OF.

TO THIS DAY, 49 YEARS LATER NOTHING HAS EVER BEEN FOUND OF THIS FAMILY. NOT HIDE NOR HAIR. NO FAMILY HAS CONTACTED ANYONE HERE ABOUT THEM. THE LOCAL TAX ASSESSORS OFFICE CLAIMED THE HOUSE A FEW MONTHS LATER AND IT WAS SOLD AT AUCTION TO ANOTHER PERSON, WHO TRIED TO RENT IT OUT . A SUCCESSION OF FAMILIES QUICKLY MOVED IN AND OUT OF THE HOUSE, LEAVING WITH NO EXPLANATIONS. THE HOUSE WAS SOON ABANDONED AND FELL INTO DISREPAIR. IT IS LONG ROTTED DOWN NOW, BUT YOU CAN STILL SEE THE OLD FENCE ROW AND LEVELED AREA WHERE THE HOUSE SAT.

WE DONT KNOW IF SOMETHING EVIL HAPPENED HERE EITHER BY THE HAND OF MAN OR SOME OTHER FORCE. I GUESS WE WILL NEVER KNOW AT THIS LATE DATE, BUT IM SURE THERE ARE STILL MANY OLD TIMERS IN THE AREA WHO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW.

JAMESRUS

OOPS THIS GOT POSTED UNDER MY FRIENDS ACCOUNT, CREEKBEAR. LOL.

#19 ·
Jamesrus,

Was there a Klu Klux Klan active in that area? Sounds like the very decent and hard-working black family that your Dad knew could have been regarded as "uppity N____s" by some racially biased people. But that would not explain the reluctance of other people to live in the house--not necessarily.

#20 ·
I had something similiar happen to me when I was 19. I was working at a pawnshop in a small town south of Dallas. I was also attending a satellite campus of a community college. I started working at the shop the day after I graduated high school and the owner told me I could carry a handgun if I wanted too. Two weeks later my father and I had a conversation about the subject and I was armed. I was making decent money working decent hours that allowed me to focus on my schoolwork. I kept a 9mm at work and carried a Beretta 380 locked in the toolbox of my pickup that I would take out in the parking lot when I arrived for work and I would tuck it in my pocket or just wrap it in a hunting magazine and go inside.

Four days during the week I worked with my boss who carried a Colt Combat Commander and a S&W airweight. One weekday and the weekend I worked with an older man who refused to carry a handgun because he said he "had a bad temper." In the morning I would go to class and in the afternoon I would show up for work between 1 and 2 depending on the classes I had that day. Usually I would pickup lunch and go into work early, eat lunch and BS with customers until my shift started.

On this particular day, my last class ended early. For some reason, instead of picking up lunch, I decided to go home and eat. The shop was even on the highway on my way to my house and I drove past it without a thought. I went home, fixed some lunch, watched some TV. The A/C at my parents house hadn't worked in years, so all the windows were open in the house. I heard police sirens off in the distance and figured there must have been a wreck out on the highway.

15 minutes later I pull up to the shop and 8 squad cars are in the parking lot. The older man was working the shop and had been robbed. Some guy got the drop on him and was in the shop for like 20 minutes. He kept asking, "where's that younger guy, I know he's here." He took him to the back of the store and tried to handcuff the old guy, but he kept playing dumb like he didn't know how handcuffs worked. He was afraid he was going to execute him. Luckily customers came in. A woman with a 10 year old girl who wanted to look at jewelry. She actually bought a piece and the old man had to get change from the robber. More people kept coming in, so the robber finally left.

Why I went home that day I don't know. I had gone home to eat maybe two times in the year and a half I had worked there. Was it chance? Was it intuition? Was it God? If I had gone to work normally I would have walked in on a robbery in progress and would have gotten tangled up in a gun battle at 19 years old. The guy had cased the place, he obviously was ready to challenge me.

I never got a bad feeling, just the simple everyday choices I made kept me out of a bad situation. I can't believe it was just chance.

That day changed my life. I didn't sleep for three days. Luckily at 19, I learned there are bad people out there willing to hurt you to get what they want. It was a loss of innocence, but an important step in becoming a responsible adult.

#21 ·
I have felt the presence of great evil twice. One time was when I visited Dachau. I was able to read many of the documents on display, which were written in an old type of German script called Fraktur. Not a lot of Germans are able to read that style of writing now, so even modern German speakers do not know what is displayed in front of them. I read documents that were the most blasphemous things I have ever seen. A doctor wrote his boss that the weather had been too warm to be able to study how long it took prisoners to die in cold water, in a test of flyer's outfits. Then he said,"Thanks be to God, that we are expecting a cold snap, so the experiments can go forward."
The other time was when I was working with HIV/AIDS. A man had moved into a rural area from New York City and went back up there and took a homeless woman off the streets. He brought her back to be a sex slave, and had brought her in for an examination to make sure she would not give him any disease. This is when we found out that she was infected. I had to go out and talk to her. The trailer they lived in had black plastic sheeting on the outside of the windows and padlocks on the outside of the doors. When I was allowed inside, I saw that the number had even been taken off the telephone. This area still had the old rotary dial telephones. I told her about her status and got a blood test from him. I returned a couple of weeks later to give him his results, and when he let me in, I got the sense of great evil. He had no lights on ,and when he finally cut one on, I could see he was carrying a small pistol in a holster. In this area, it was not unusual for people to have guns laying around the house, and I would go sit as close to as possible, so that did not particularly bother me. I asked about the young woman, and he claimed she had gone off with some people from another state who were visiting a neighbor. I figured this for a lie, as I knew he would lock her in if he left the trailer. When I got back to the office, I warned the nurses that they were not to go out to that address for any reason. I still wait to hear that his slave's remains have been found.

#22 ·
Oldtimer, that's some creepy stuff. There are more of those disturbed people out there than we'd like to admit. I'm glad more of them haven't attained power like in Germany, but quite a few have. If you look at the history of Cambodia, you'll find it's one of the most sinister, slaughter-infested places on earth. Some places, it seems, only take the right spark to set them ablaze.

I've seen inside houses of truly crazy people, some who were just "out there", and some who'd done very bad things. They have a different feeling. Evil itself has an aura that you can sense.

jsoukap, I liked your story, too. Sometimes, I think a higher power keeps us out of trouble until we can handle it. I know that looking back, I'm amazed I lived to be 20! (Then 30, but after I survived that, it's all been an increasingly rapid, downhill slide!)

On a lighter note about crazy people (all due compassion)... When they're not a danger to themselves or others, it's often quite hilarious (and rewarding) to "solve" their problems, by working within their delusion. One old lady who's home I went to on a "disturbance" call said that the local sheriff was "beaming razor blades into her eyes through the telephone, because he's involved in organized crime and hookers". The sheriff's deputy on the call with me was at a loss, and tried to take some kind of report, but after I walked around the house, I said, "Maam? You've got a very secure home here. The only way in or out, is through this chord; where does this go?"

"Why, that's the telephone line!" She said.

"I see. Well, that's your problem. Now, as a former electrical engineer, I know that you can repel the incoming harmful transmissions with this electro-magnetic, berillium wave-spectrometer." I pulled out the square of white cloth I use to wipe my glasses. "Now if you'll set this under your phone, you can still talk on it, but any ill-intent being sent this way will be reflected back to the sender. If you read about the sheriff being in the hospital, don't worry. He brought it on himself!"

The deputy looked at me like I'd lost my mind, and the old woman touched my hand and said, "You're the first person who's ever believed me, or done anything for me! Thank you!"

As we were walking away, I asked the deputy, "Do you suppose that square from an old pair of boxer shorts will do the trick?"

It did. We never heard from her again.

#23 ·
I've had a sudden sense of danger twice that I can recall. Once was when my hunting buddy and I were looking for a place to turkey hunt in north-central Nebraska. I was headed to the house to ask permission and things did not feel right. I turned around and got back in the truck and left in a hurry. The other time was before going to Kuwait for 3 months during the rebuild. I was to get on my plane flight later in the day but had to go to the store 3 miles away and pickup toothpast, etc. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway I had a very very very strong sense of danger and wondered if it was ESP. I though that maybe the plane would crash or I would get killed over in Kuwait. About half way to the store a woman in a car ran a stop sign and I barely missed hitting here. Immediately any sense of danger went away and I was very relaxed. I think it was ESP having to do with the potential car accident I narrowly avoided.

#24 ·
Three times in my life have i "seen" something that had happened without my knowledge or was soon to happen. The first was with the death of my cousin in Houston. He was adopted and had a few problems. He was on Ritalin from the time he was 4 till a month before his death at 16. My sister and i were swimming in the pool after school when my mothers vehicle pulled into the driveway quickly followed by my fathers truck. My sister stated "I wonder what is going on?" I replied out of the blue. "Drew is dead." My sister got mad and told me that wasnt something i should say. My mother and father walked into the back yard and said they had some bad news. I said "I know Drew is dead." My mother asked how i knew and i said i dont know. She got this funny look on her face and looked at my dad. It turned out his doctor had taken him off his Ritalin 3 weeks before without anything to wean him off it. On the day he died, he lost his job, his girlfriend, and he took his own life in front of his mother.

The second time i was 17 and had moved to Minnesota to go to college. My mother called and woke me up at 4 am. When i answered the phone i didnt even hear her voice and i said "I know Judy's dead" Nothing but silence on the other end. She said in a shaky voice "who told you?" I said "no one, i just know. " My Aunt had also taken her own life after finding out her cancer had returned.

The third and i hope last time this ever happened, was one week to the day after my wife and I got married. My brother in law wasnt in for the wedding he was at work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. I woke up with a sense that i was smothering. I sat straight up in bed and tears were streaming down my cheeks. My wife was scared, thinking i was sick or hurting for some reason. She asked what was the matter. I told her i didnt know but something was happening to someone we knew but i couldnt see who. I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 am. At 6:30 am the phone rang and my wife answered it. It was my mother calling telling us my brother in law was missing off the rig in a storm. His body was never found. He fell overboard at 4:25 am. Later when i told my mom about waking up, she started crying and said "I had hoped you wouldnt have to go through this." I asked her what she meant but she wouldnt say anything else, except to talk to my grandfather.

Later that week i asked my grandfather what she meant about asking him. He replied I dont know if its a gift or a curse, but i have it too. And that was all he would say about it.

Jamesrus.

#25 ·
Concerning this, I saw a CSI segment last night where Grissom talked about our earliest ancesters. He said in effect that the human who sensed danger out of the corner of his eye and ran immediately, survived. Those who didn't react, died.

We all have the genes of those who RAN..thus we all have the ability to sense when something is not right. We do ourselves a favor and our families when we take heed of those gut feelings. Victims do not listen to their gut feelings.

#26 ·
Wow! These are some great stories. One thing I’ve learned during my life is that survival usually comes down to three simple things, knowing when to stand still, knowing when to walk away, and knowing when to run like ****!

I’m looking forward to reading more interesting stories in this post.