Graybeard Outdoors banner

Marines and Army due to get new rifles

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gendoc 
#1 · (Edited)
The Marines have opted for the M27..a variation on the Heckler & Koch. Still a 5.56 round, it has a floating barrel, which should help accuracy.

The Army says..not for us. They want to go larger. They may well use one of the new cased-telescoped rounds.

#3 ·
I suggest 20 man squads, 2 to carry a 50 caliber machine gun and 18 to carry ammo. :)

#4 · (Edited)
I recall when it was nearly like that; when we all carried M1s and one guy had the heavy old BAR. Somehow. it was usually the lightest guy in the squad.
Then came the best rifle (IMO), the M14...the squad leader could have 1, 2, 3 or no equivalents to the BAR simply by selecting which M14 to switch over. With the M16, lighter cartriges did allow troops to carry more rounds.
From what I understand, the reason for the lighter guns, was to accommodate the small statured allies we had fighting alongside our troops. Early on, they started with the M1 carbines.

#8 ·
"caseless ammo".....someone needs to explain this !! smokeless ML or airgun i can see how, but really ??
I first saw the reference to caseless ammo in the early 1970s. It has a lot of advantages along with some serious issues. Perhaps the biggest holdback is the paradigm that ammo has to have a case. Kinda reminds me of the handwringing I read about when copper cartridges started to replace muzzle loaders...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caseless_ammunition

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.