Graybeard Outdoors banner

A recommendation of historical fiction

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  charles p 
#1 ·
May have already been posted but I'd recommend most of
James Micheners novels to folks that enjoy reading.

With great attention to detailing the geography and cultures
of places across the U.S. and the rest of the world he expressed
stories of individuals and generations of families. Good stuff.
I've read most of the novels I could find and some of the nonfiction.
The ones that stand out after several years are:

THE SOURCE
If I was to recommend 1 book that everyone should read, this would be it.
A telling of the cradle of 3 religions, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

TEXAS
Well, I am a Texan, born and raised. But really, this telling of
the history of what is now Texas was eye opening and entertaining.

HAWAII
I've never been to Hawaii but felt like I knew it after this read.
But then again, this is typical of reading his books.

CHESAPEAKE
I've wanted to take an extended vacation to travel, fish and hunt
this huge area ever since reading this one. VERY good.

I could go on as the commitment to detail and true compassion for the
land, the cultures and individuals of ALL places are evident in each of his books.
Just do a search of his works and I'd be willing to bet there's at least one that
is about an area near and dear to your heart.

PK

See less See more
#27 ·
ironglow said:
A newly discovered author (new to me, that is)...Bernard Cornwell . I am reading his book .."The Fort".. concerning the Revolutionary War in Penobscot Bay, and the battle for British Fort George. The general story is close, though he does do some name substitution. The stories are filled with details as to gear, equipment and tactics etc, that only a well studied author would be aware of.
You may recall when his series about Richard Sharp, British soldier (served from 1799-1821)...was seriaslized for TV..an excellent series. When I finish this book, I plan on checking out his book called "Agincourt".
If anyone is interested in the book "The Fort" recommended by IG. Borders has the hardcover edition currently 70% off the list price of $25.99 or $7.80 for (as my wife likes to say) you mathematically challenged guys. ;D
Most of the other books suggested are also discounted, if you can find them. They do have quite a few copies of Tom Clancy's book "Dead or Alive" in stock at 60% off. I also saw other books by Bernard Cornwell, Jeff & Michael Shaara also discounted.

#28 ·
For you avid readers who like serious older books I recommend a Kindel reader. You can get most older books free. I just finished Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain, and wondered why I hadn't read it a long time ago. A little shocking after we have been politically correctified for several decades now.

#29 ·
bilmac said:
For you avid readers who like serious older books I recommend a Kindel reader. You can get most older books free. I just finished Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain, and wondered why I hadn't read it a long time ago. A little shocking after we have been politically correctified for several decades now.
"Is .... is he dead?"

#30 ·
alsatian - the books by Jean Larteguy, are out of print. A used paperback copy of the book "The Praetorians" sells for $75.00 on Amazon. A little rich for my blood. Do you have a copy you would care to lend?

#32 ·
Rock said:
Master & Commander – A great introduction to the series. The main Characters of the series meet and become life long friends. Very good book. It lead directly to my acquiring other books in the series.
Was that the book that led to the movie Master and Commander, the far side of the World? Great movie BTW.

#34 ·
The only fiction that I read is James Michener

#35 ·
Michener's books are almost like reading/living thru historical times. Fantastic author, one who is sorely missed.

#36 ·
bugeye - I devour books, if you tell me what genre, or historical period, your interested. I can recommend authors that are at least up to par with Michener. Although, they won't have the same fantastic detail as Michener's books regarding the land. Either The Covenant (about South Africa), or Poland was the last one I read. It's been a while.

#37 ·
My main interest is the OLD northwest, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc.
I have hundreds of books on that, only a few with nothing copied from other books.
Plus,Hundreds more on hunting in Africa in the 1800's, not to mention old sailing stories, whaling, etc.
So, I doubt if I ever buy another book because I have a lot that I haven't read yet.
But thanks anyway.:tango_face_smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.