Graybeard Outdoors banner

Heading for the Wind River Canyon

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Gen1:26 
#1 · (Edited)
Yep, heading for the Wind River Canyon for trout in a week.
I figure to use spinners (Rooster Tails) mostly.

Anyone here fish the canyon?

Pictures will be posted when I return.

#2 ·
There is a big eddy half a mile below the Boysen D a m. Current is strong and hole is deep. Standard rig is a 1/8 to 1/4oz egg sinker, small barrel swivel as a sinker stop, 2' leader of 6# mono and a #14 treble hook. Tear a night crawler in half and hook an end on one of the treble hook barbs and cover the whole hook in chartreuse power bait in a ball the size of a berry. Cast to the head of the pool and drift through. Big brown trout and eagle lake rainbows up to 5# and a few ling there. Also try the riffle zones down stream with woolley buggers and grasshopper flies. If your not a fly fisher get a casting bubble for your spinning outfit.

Or go further up river past Dubois. The cold water below Boysen D a m is good for trout but the other stretches of the river are too warm until you get up past Dubois.

Boysen has great walleye fishing if you have a boat. Lots of good fishing over in the Wind River Range if your a hiker.

#3 ·
Thanks Lt.
I'll be fishing just the canyon this time. And for just one day.
This is a family vacation/trip. Except for the fishing ;)

#6 ·
Well, enjoy your trip buddy. I recommend the riffles above the campground to the narrows just below the rail crossing. The narrows is where I caught the most fish. Usually just a few each trip but they were big.

The fly fishermen like the riffles as they are fairly shallow and can be waded.

#7 ·
I do appreciate the help LT (military or law enforcement?).

Never learned to fly fish.
It is on a list I have somewhere to learn.
Catching, landing and eating them is secondary for now. I just need to get to the water. If that makes even a little sense.

#9 ·
I will give that a try if time permits.
One of my best friends, and total gun nut, is a former USN Seabee.

#11 ·
Beautiful fish.
I caught a lot of those cutthroats in Oregon back in 63. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.