Graybeard Outdoors banner

Meteor 3F Sporting Black Powder?

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ranch13 
#1 ·
I picked some reloading stuff todat and one of the things was a 1lb orange tin of Meteor 3F Sporting Black Powder. The tin says made in Great Britain and C-I-L Ammunition Inc., Plattsburgh, NY. The tin is unopened so I figure I'll give it a try, but I am curious as I have never seen it before. Can anybody tell me about it? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Fishteach ... you mean 'This Stuff'? ;D

Might want to read this thread ...
Old Time Sporting Black Powder ... Meteor and EI Dupont!
And since Nobel Industries bought out Curtis's and Harvey (the creme de la creme of original powders) in either 1968 or 1969 and both powders were produced at the Ardeer, Scotland plant ... I am 98% convinced, after further research, that Meteor powder was old C&H inventory or produced based on the C&H formulation. I have shoot many cans of mine (FFg and FFFg) in 38-55 - (45-70 and 50-70 out to 1000yds), the velocities are good, the fouling is good and the cans are worth more than the powder to collectors.

Also back in the '70's, Hodgdon was importing these same orange cans, 'Made in Great Britain' by Nobel. Then they wrapped the cans with their own paper labels

With only one unopened can - display it in your reloading room and save it that way. There are only 2 other BP shooters in the US that I know of that have any of these Meteor cans with powder in them. Now, in total - including you and me ... there are four! Congratulations on your find!

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know the Lot Number on your can ... Thanks

PS: The whole purchase of the Meteor and DuPont powder came out to $2.14 a pound!

#8 ·
Fishteach ... you mean 'This Stuff'? ;D

Might want to read this thread ...
Old Time Sporting Black Powder ... Meteor and EI Dupont!
And since Nobel Industries bought out Curtis's and Harvey (the creme de la creme of original powders) in either 1968 or 1969 and both powders were produced at the Ardeer, Scotland plant ... I am 98% convinced, after further research, that Meteor powder was old C&H inventory or produced based on the C&H formulation. I have shoot many cans of mine (FFg and FFFg) in 38-55 - (45-70 and 50-70 out to 1000yds), the velocities are good, the fouling is good and the cans are worth more than the powder to collectors.

Also back in the '70's, Hodgdon was importing these same orange cans, 'Made in Great Britain' by Nobel. Then they wrapped the cans with their own paper labels

With only one unopened can - display it in your reloading room and save it that way. There are only 2 other BP shooters in the US that I know of that have any of these Meteor cans with powder in them. Now, in total - including you and me ... there are four! Congratulations on your find!

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to know the Lot Number on your can ... Thanks

PS: The whole purchase of the Meteor and DuPont powder came out to $2.14 a pound!
John Boy, I just found this post. I have 15, unopened 1# cans of METEOR FFF SPORTING BLACK POWDER. the code on the side ( ink stamped) is 72 AP 1493 S-4. I bought these 25 years ago from a friend for $1.00 a pound. Any info you can give me will be GREAT!!! THANKS SO MUCH TONY ROBERTS

#3 ·
That's the can I have, but after further investigation, it has been opened & mine is 3F too. There's a white sticker on the bottom of the can that I am assuming is the lot number and it reads: 73 AP 1510 S 2. If that is the lot number, what does it tell you? Thanks, Brett

#4 ·
73 AP 1510 S 2
Brett, here is the breakdown which is the Packaging date not the Production date
73 = 1973
AP = Ardeer Plant ... which is in the town of Ardeer, Scotland
15 = Day Number
10 = Month Number
So, 1510 is October 15th
S - I don't know the meaning of 'S'
2 - This is usually the shift when it was packaged, ie 2nd Shift
All of my Meteor is October 15, 1973 powder too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.