Graybeard Outdoors banner

Thermo switches

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cornbelt 
#1 ·
I've got a thermo switch from a Dayton motor that won't click. I'm pretty sure that's all that's all that's wrong with the motor. Can't seem to find out much from the numbers; 20mc06jb, and below it 9130.
Any of that mean something?
I've got it apart, and before I put it together tomorrow, I'm gonna plug the field winding in and see if it cremates. If it does, I won't have to worry about it.

#2 ·
It didn't cremate, and the switch works. But the motor is so stiff it won't turn. When I put the ends back on, just tightening the screws a little makes it lock up. I can turn the shaft with a pair of pliers, but not by hand. Spins freely until I try to tighten the nuts. So no doubt the thermos switch was doing its job. Takes it a while to cool off, though. There is oil on the felt at both ends, so it ain't dry. Just stiff. And it won't go. ?????

#3 ·
hmmmm..... So the thermo switch resets ok? I have seen manual and automatic reset switches.
is the a spacer of some type or gasket that is no longer giving the spacing for it to turn freely?

If it locks up to where you must use pliers there may be a mark somewhere that indicates where it is rubbing.

#4 ·
Spacer! Yep. I left one out on one end, and the nuts pulled it all together, and it still spins freely.
That was a cheap fix. I was only taking it apart to see how bad it was fried. The motor shop I took it to wanted $230 to rewind it. I don't think I'll get in the habit of going there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.