Graybeard Outdoors banner

The Sense of Evil.

74K views 266 replies 98 participants last post by  brayh92 
#1 ·
While reading my favorite forum (unusual stories), I came across a thread by Echo4Lima, titled “What was it?” Fascinating thread.

His discussion of the sixth sense is one we should expand upon.

In writing my book on safety topics, I discuss this sense, giving examples from experts in several fields who recount personal stories of being saved by the “sudden sense of danger”. (Jim Corbett, numerous military vets, personal experiences, etc.)

One of my own experiences was during a different kind of hunting. (It was in the “outdoors”, so I’m going to go ahead and post it; I hope you’ll forgive me.) I was a Dallas Police Officer, training a new officer. He was much older than I, in fact, he’d been an Army Ranger during Vietnam, when I was only a child. Very level-headed, mature, and cool, as you’d expect.

We were sent to a “missing neighbor” call. Nobody’s seen the folks next door for a week. Papers on the grass, etc. Maybe dead inside, maybe gone and forgot to cancel delivery, who knows? It was about noon, in the middle of the summer. Not an intense call, and we’re very relaxed about it.

As we approach the front door, I start to get a weird feeling. Almost like a physical resistance to moving forward. The hairs on my neck were standing up, but I forced myself to knock at the door. I’m being watched, and I’m the example. I’ve got to do my job. No answer. I had to look in the window. I tell my “rookie”, “Hey, go around back, see if the door’s open. I don’t smell anything like a dead body, but if we can check, we really should.” As he circles the house, I screw up my courage, and look into the windows at the front of the house. Piles of books and magazines clutter the house. I mean 4 to 6 foot piles, or stacks, more precisely. I had the strong sense of something watching me, and a strong sense of evil. Like Echo4Lima, I found myself thinking; “If I go in there, it’ll get me. I’ll never come out.” I had a sense of something lurching through the darkness of the unlit house. Something evil. The phrase someone, never came to mind. It was some THING….

I’m not a religious person, I don’t hunt ghosts or panic easily. I’ve been shot at a few times, and am still here to tell about it. I’d never felt like this except in childhood nightmares. I understand about how the amygdala (primal fear center) works, and can see no logical reason for its sudden stimulation.

About this time, the “rookie” came back around, and said the back was locked up. I said, “Good, let’s go”, and we did. Quickly. About 2 blocks away, he said, “Man, I don’t know what it was, but from the time we got out of the car, that place scared the **** out of me! I’ve never felt anything like that. There was something evil in that house.”

I hadn’t told him of my fears, and we hadn’t been telling creepy stories beforehand, but we’d both had the same primal fear instinct. We talked about it (but only between ourselves) for days.

I never found out what was in the house, and I never want to.

And I never doubt that when somebody says they sensed evil, that they were telling the truth.

Gavin deBecker, in his excellent (except for biased, anti-gun comments) book, the “Gift of Fear”, says:

“Intuition is soaring flight compared to the plodding of logic.
Nature’s greatest accomplishment, the human brain, is never more efficient or
invested than when its host is at risk. Then, intuition is catapulted to another
level entirely, a height at which it can accurately be called graceful, even miraculous.
Intuition is the journey from A to Z without stopping at any other letter along the way.
It is knowing, without knowing why."

Echo4Lima is right. It is there, it is in us, and it’s for a reason. Heed it.

See less See more
#260 ·
I'm the most skeptical SOB out there, but have seen and heard enough to know that there is a supernatural world (or hard-to-detect facets of the natural world) which do not comply with our understanding of science. I have started to post in this thread a dozen times over the years and just deleted another long one today. I don't wish to make any specific claims because on paper they seem outlandish. Just listen to your senses and it might help to be more curious than fearful, if possible.

#261 ·
Hi Gray Paw-
It would be great if you would post, many here will appreciate it.
I have been learning from the videos of Dr. Caroline Leaf, she has been a Dr. of neuroscience for over 30 years.
In one teaching she mentions the experiment where two people who loved each other were placed in separate
Faraday cages, totally electrically and magnetically isolated from each other, a light was shined in the eye of one person,it registered in the brain of the other. We are entangled with each other on the quantum level, far beyond the carnal minds comprehension.
best wishes

#265 ·
I had a feeling one time deer hunting on a piece of property that had a lot of border properties and had access thru a hollow to a bad side of town. I was in the stand early before sunrise and it was almost like everything was too quiet, it felt like a change in the environment. Soon I could hear a few guys coming talking while jogging thru the woods. About 10 minutes later I heard sirens on the other side of the hollow. I was in a stand and obviously someone who they were looking for came by me. Needless to say I contacted the authorities and got out of there for awhile

#267 ·
This is and has been a great thread for sure. Over the years i have had several instances in the woods that gave me a uneasy feeling.

As a Teenager we all used to go to a place in Southern Indiana known to be haunted called step cemetery. Its a very old cemetery in the Morgan Monroe state forestry. there are a ton of ghost stories and myths about that place. Well there is another smaller much harder to find cemetery i came across in that forestry called Dose cemetery. It has maybe 30-40 older but well maintained graves in it and is probably a half mile from the nearest road to it. I have been there several times and each time i noticed once you enter to edge of it you no longer hear any animals and the wind will stop. You can look around and see the tree tops move, but there is never any wind. One of the strangest things is there are two graves from soldiers that served in WW2 that have the little wind mills like kids used to play with. They are always dead still and don't move as there is no wind as i mentioned, but if you put your boot up close to one as if you were gonna spin it without touching it there little wind mill will start spinning incredibly fast. Once you take your foot away from it, it all at once stops suddenly. Its a very creepy place and always gave me a huge uneasy feeling. I have been there at night when we were kids in groups and stumbled across it during the day hunting and either way it has the same feeling and is creepy as can be.

Reactions: trsagers