Graybeard Outdoors banner

I may not be welcome here, but I'll try..

5K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ironglow 
#1 ·
Having achieved four score years earlier this month..I just decided to try a 2 wheeler with a bit more than my regular ride, which is a Schwinn. Figured since I am already performing their chaplain & public speaking duties, I may want to ride some with our newly organized "Legion Riders" club. I didn't really want to go "whole hog" AKA Harley..so I started out a bit lighter. I went with a Kymco 150cc scooter. Here in NY, a special motorcycle license is required for anything more than 50cc, so I am working on that. Here's a Kymco photo of my ride..same color and all.

://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/people150/people150-Studio.jpg

#4 ·
Go for it IG; I still keep the "M" on my license and would buy a scooter if I could convince my wife and daughter that I CAN ride one with my left leg sticking out to the side.

#5 ·
you just have to remember that you have to
drive for yourself and everyone else on the
road with you. too many people on public
streets try to do everything but drive, and
are concentrating on the radio, or their phone,
or eating, or playing grab a** with each other,
etc.- everything but driving.
be careful and good luck (p.s.- dress to crash)

#7 ·
Ironglow, you have 2 wheels and a motor. So you are good to go in my book. Enjoy the wind in your face as long as you can.

Jim

#8 ·
#10 ·
Love it.
This is Kare and I 1986 with our 85 Cavalcade, Michigan's UP road side rest area while on vacation. Still have it and a pile of miles on it.

I like to get off the major roads to enjoy a nice ride. Not a bike picture but the type of road I like.

Go for it and have a great time, remember to wear your helmet.

:) Al

#11 ·
I am operating upon a "learner's permit" and cruising the rural roads around my home. I truly like the 2 wheel idea and am enjoying it immensely. Today though, I put some Sea Foam in the tank and took a run around some of the farm country, to be sure it is in the whole system...then put it away for the winter. When spring breaks, I'll get an appointment for my road test. Around here, one cannot plan on a weather cooperating road test day before May rolls around.

#12 ·
Mopeds and Prety fat girls,the latest and faster model ,The coolest bad as wanna be biker.33 Bikes of all sizes and types .There is only one thats the the Best.Thats the one your on.50cc or 1200cc I have never had a bad time on two wheels WELCOME I WILL RIDE WITH YOU .Now Im about to try 3 wheels and buy a Ural.
FORSALE 1995 R100GSPD CLASIC. My leg is forceing me to sale.

#13 ·
Thanks guys, I plan on going along on some rides with the Legion Riders, since we have a chapter right I'm my own local American Legion post. I am serving as their chaplain already, so perhaps I should join in with them.
Nice looking set up, Yooper !
Can't see myself going from scooter to bike at this point however, since my srthritic joints would rather step through than swing a leg over. Besides, I rather like the seated posture as opposed to straddle position..LOL
I am by now, hooked on the 2-wheeler ride...so if for any reason I don't pass my motorcycle road test...I will go ahead and downgrade to a 50cc scooter. I understand that even those can be derestricted and brought up to a higher level of performance...especially the 2 stroke models..

#15 · (Edited)
Update on an old post;

I settled for a 2-stroke 50 cc scooter. I have done a couple things with it, so I can reach an honest 44-45 mph on the level. That's good enough for the riding I do, so I am happy with it.

I put on about 4500 miles during the last two summers..but this summer doesn't look so promising, weather wise.

Here's a couple photos of my Genuine brand "Roughhouse".

Attachments

#16 ·
that's nice enough.

some time back i checked on the cost of tires for one
of those, and the ones i found cost about as much as
for a full size bike:tango_face_surprise

#19 ·
^ ^ ^ and brakes

first thing i've always done to any bike. new brakes before i ride it a foot

#22 ·
This thread started before I got here. I had a Yamaha Zuma for years. The grandkids are now riding it on the farm. Next up for me is a Yamaha TW200. I will be moving to the country in June/July where gravel roads are the name of the game. I will only be three miles from town and the coffee shop. I looked at some of the full size dirt bikes like I rode when I was a young man but I'd have to carry a step stool so that I could get my leg over one of those things. Yes sir I need to be able to put both feet flat on the ground..........my wheelie days are done!

#25 ·
Well if you need an upgrade, it is possible to put nitrous oxide injection on those 50cc motors. I've seen the guys at Eddyville do it for chits and giggles. 75 mph in an 8th mile ain't too shabby. Of course they are only good for a few passes before that little crankshaft says a can't peddle that fast anymore:tango_face_crying:.

#26 ·
No...I don't need that.. I can get an honest 45 mph (by GPS) on the level, much less on hills. I watch my rear view mirror, especially when on a state road...and drop to the shoulder if it looks like I am impeding traffic in any way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.