Graybeard Outdoors banner

.358 Gremlin?

11K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lon371 
#1 ·
Ok guys, we are looking for excuses to modify or buy. I was looking at the .358 BFG, but what about the Gremlin?
I barrowed the below from Bryan at http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html He is a new sponsor to GBO and Our only sponsor to the Indiana forum.

The 358 Gremlin was designed to run in the AR-15 platform,
duplicating the velocity of 35 Remington factory loads.

It is equally content in any bolt action rifle with a 7.62x39/PPC bolt
face or T/C Contender/Encore.

180g Hornady SSP's to 2325 fps out of a 17.25" 1/12 twist
AR-15 barrel using a modest charge of Lil Gun.

The cartridge was inspired by the 9x39 Russian, our version is
formed using commonly available 6.5 Grendel or Winchester
7.62x39 brass.
Well guys, whats your thoughts?

Bryan if you read this, what barrel and barrel work would be needed to do a H&R?

Lonny

#2 ·
If you want some thing different or have an AR 15 it should get the job done. As far as ballistics are concerned, it is not ahead of the 357 Max by much. You can not put a price on having some thing different. Let us know how it works out. Good Luck and Good Shooting

#4 ·
I wanna be the first kid on my block to have one, so much, I am making plans already to buy a Encore frame. :eek: The Handi Gods might get angry at me, think they will ever forgive me? LOL ;) ;D

Thanks, Dinny

#5 ·
The more I look into this caliber the more I want one. Looks like there isn't much interest in it though. A semi auto 35 should be one heck of a moderate range deer/hog whacker I would think. Anyone know who is making AR-15 uppers and loading dies for this caliber?

#6 ·
Did you ask them at BFG.? I do not know for sure, but I would ask and if they didn't maybe they could point you in the right direction. http://www.bfgcartridges.com/358Gremlin.html[/color]

I have about convinced myself to wait and see when Indiana goes to the 1.80" case length. Then I am going to work at a .35 Rem and shorten to legal case length ;) . Just seems to me it is proven already. And it would not take a lot of work on the case. I am lazy so it would be a good match for me. ;)

Lonny

#8 ·
tatonka said:
I get those velocities out of my Encore safely in 357 maximum with Hornady SSP 180 gr bullets shooting Lil'Gun. Good shooting.
I am with you on that one. My Handi Max prooved its self last year 8) Have a Contender that is still waiting to proove its self. The new law(if passed) is an excuse for me to buy something different ;)

Lonny

#9 ·
Lon371 said:
tatonka said:
I get those velocities out of my Encore safely in 357 maximum with Hornady SSP 180 gr bullets shooting Lil'Gun. Good shooting.
I am with you on that one. My Handi Max prooved its self last year 8) Have a Contender that is still waiting to proove its self. The new law(if passed) is an excuse for me to buy something different ;)

Lonny
That's what I am waiting for as well. I did buy a .460 S&W Mag in a ProHunter, and it is a sweet gun. But, If the law is passed, I will definitely be buying something in the WSSM 1.8" class for an Encore frame.

#10 ·
This caliber went far...

358 YETI has more traction ::)

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.