Graybeard Outdoors banner

Savage 24 double rifle/ shotgun

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mule 11 
#1 ·
Went to a Gun show in Tulsa Oklahoma today and there were several tables full of these rifles Most were 22 over 410--22 over 20 saw one 223 over 12 I found a real nice Savage had the silver breach with 22 over 410 was the one that was not open between barrels had a nice walnut stock and had nice cut checkering very trim and neat
550 had a hard time not bringing it home with me it was really nice did not have the stock set that was big and bulky like most of them have.

Deaconllb

#2 ·
They are interesting guns. I have had two. Have the 22lr over 20 ga now and it's a favorite. I added a trap door to the stock from a camper model and use the hidden compartment to carry a .357 adaptor for the 20 ga. barrel. So it's a 3 in 1. If you can find an original camper model I would recommend it. The fair price is something you would need someone to check. Mine was a rescue and purchased for $200 but it took a little bit of parts replacement, fitting and finishing to make it into what I wanted.

https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/139-savage-rifles-shotguns/400590-model-24-j-dl-restoration.html

#3 ·
I had one of the 24 Camper models for a while. Came with a case to carry it broken down which I never used - much simpler to carry it in a regular gun case and not keep breaking it down and putting it together.
Thought I would really like it, but I never really warmed up to it for some reason. For one thing it was a straight cylinder bore, the selector on the hammer just didn't seem "right" (worked fine, just seemed odd to me). In theory they seem like the perfect "walk in the woods" gun for opportune shots at squirrels, rabbits, and an occasional bird.

Since then I've sometimes thought about getting one of the regular models in .22/.410, but now for squirrels I need something with a scope because those open sights are just too fuzzy!

The only advice I'd give someone thinking about buying one is shoot it first if at all possible - finding one that shoots to the same point of aim can be a challenge.

#4 ·
The one I looked at today looked just like LT Dave's but had real nice cut checkering not the pressed.
kind

Deaconllb

#5 ·
I think the original stocks were checkered. The original stock on mine was checkered by a do it yourselfer. I tried to salvage it by sanding the checkering out but there wasn't enough wood remaining so I bought a roughed out stock from gunstocks inc for $35 and spent hours sanding it until the fit was proper. It was a lot of trial and error.

If you find one that's in excellent condition then that's worth considering.

#6 ·
Brought home a model 24 22lr over 410 3” case hardened frame selector round on rt side in mint condition. When my wife saw it she claimed it. I’m the only one who uses and maintains it though. Cool little gun. Oh smooth stock and forend no checkering and barrels w no space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.