Graybeard Outdoors banner

The Python is back

6K views 58 replies 10 participants last post by  purebred 
#1 ·
Colt has started shipping new Python's into distribution already.

#37 ·
I find it interesting how this thread started with this:
No one asked anyone to compare the Python to a S&W. If that did occur, then I would expect to see the "my barrel is longer than your barrel" comments some of you have posted. Back to a point I made earlier - Some of you can kill a thread faster than a speeding bullet. I doubt this is ground breaking news to any of you either. I look around this forum and I see regular conversations where your egos get in the way, and again, this is a recurring scenario played over and over again.

Rant complete....I have unsubscribed to this thread and don't expect to look back.

Thanks, Dinny

#40 ·
Rooter pig - I've heard rumors some may already be in the hands of distributors, but they can't release them to dealers just yet.

I'm guessing the release will closely coincide with SHOT show (in just over 2 weeks). Maybe starting to trickle out a few days before, or as the big unveiling takes place at SHOT.

#42 ·
I find it interesting how this thread started with this:
No one asked anyone to compare the Python to a S&W. If that did occur, then I would expect to see the "my barrel is longer than your barrel" comments some of you have posted. Back to a point I made earlier - Some of you can kill a thread faster than a speeding bullet. I doubt this is ground breaking news to any of you either. I look around this forum and I see regular conversations where your egos get in the way, and again, this is a recurring scenario played over and over again.

Rant complete....I have unsubscribed to this thread and don't expect to look back.

Thanks, Dinny
Kill a thread?
Dinny this thread is not dead, this is post #42.

#44 ·
I think you left our the part where the S&W uses the KISS system and that coil springs last longer than leaf springs. That would be why Ruger eliminated them from the peace maker design and went to coils in their single actions.

I'll take the KISS system and I can honestly say, my old M-27's and M-29 are smoother than any of the 5 pythons I owned. (actually, my M-19's are too)

DM

#46 ·
Hi DM. I didn't leave aything out. Your "longer lasting" comment doesn't ring true given Manurhin's are significantly more robust amd longer lasting than any S&W ever produced. The French counter terrorism unit (GIGN) used S&W's only to find they gave in at around 25,000 rounds, and then switched to the MR73. One they tested to 170,000 rounds of full power loads. There are many articles on this but I'm including this one.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-review-manurhin-mr73-sport-357-revolver/

I like N frames and own several - all low/no dash models. My N frame triggers are all very smooth, but unlike the posters here I don't have to rely on memory of how guns shot I owned years or decades ago; I shoot them back to back with the Pythons I own currently and found the Python DA action to be smoother. I also found the Pythons to be marginally more accurate with the same ammo.

For the record, I am not Colt fan. I'm most fond of my Freedom Arms revolvers. I'm simply stating my findings.

#54 ·
Then, how does THAT theory pan out, for the five pythons "I" owned??

DM
Your shooting style and technique differs from mine.

I am scratching my head as to why somebody would buy 5 examples of a gun that they don’t like though?

#59 ·
I am scratching my head as to why somebody would buy 5 examples of a gun that they don’t like though?
I hope that itchy head it's from head lice??? ha ha ha

I owned a gun shop, I had all kinds of guns go through my hands, and they were easy to trade off through the shop if I didn't like them, or wasn't happy with them.

I don't remember saying I didn't like pythons though??

DM
That sure explains it for me Sir. I guess you would have quite a few guns go through your hands. Sure wish one of those five Python's you had were in my hands now.🙂

#45 · (Edited)
Well said DM, and the Python inherently has a sluggish trigger return. Like it or not, the longer trigger travel on the Colt introduces more friction issues.

Well in weighing every word, I suppose I should have said; the Smith trigger return block can be improved by stoning the friction areas.
Better?

#47 ·
Well said DM, and the Python inherently has a sluggish trigger return. Like it or not, the longer trigger travel on the Colt introduces more friction issues.
I agree on the trigger return. It's not designed to rapid fire. Shooting the Python you should ideally come off the trigger and not rely on the trigger to push your finger lest it doesn't reset. I believe the new one is the same.

I cannot comment if the longer travel introduces more friction, but as a whole I feel it to be the closest to a Manurhin trigger of any stateside revolver I have shot (except the return part).

#48 · (Edited)
Well, I guess we'll just have to live with it.

When my Smith air weight hits 25,000 rounds, I'll have to spring for another one, or carry my Kimber.

I'm gonna miss that little gun.

#51 ·
The Colt Python IS a beautiful gun, but like all others, it has warts.

I would like to have a Colt Diamondback 4" because it was my first ever duty carry, but I traded it years ago for the Smith 19, and its quicker action.

I also wish I had kept a nickel Colt Detective Special, one of the better off duty weapons.

Neither to shoot, but to just have.

#56 ·
I can answer that for myself.
There is nuthin better lookin than a 4" Python. I was a police weapons instructor for 20 years. I wanted the very best handgun possible.
The Python was alleged to have been the best.
As it turned out, it kinda sucked as a duty/combat weapon.
So! Back to the Smith's.
Then I read a couple a gun rag articles on the Python, and thought, maybe I didn't give the gun a chance.
So, I bought another.

The combat tactical courses I taught even back then one might fire 1,000 rounds per day.

Conclusion? I was right the first time.

The Python is sexy, its accurate, its expensive, it's a "target shooter".

It took two Pythons, and a Diamondback to convince me, that for my line a work, Smith had a better action.

Post coded

#57 ·
Yeah I agree with you Dee about the Python's appeal. I would love one myself but just can't justify the price. Especially being retired now. But who knows, maybe one of these days. Just don't think I could justify 5 of them. Especially if I thought others were better. But who knows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.