Graybeard Outdoors banner

Smokeless powder muzzleloader

23K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  brokenxj22 
#1 ·
Help please ! I have been looking for a smokeless powder muzzleloader and it seems that they are rare. Today while scanning the internet I saw a company, SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADING.COM, that makes a barrel to fit a Handy Rifle frame. Has anyone seen or even tried one of these barrels ?

If anyone has info or used one please give me a shout.

Thanks
Rick

#45 ·
I for one, have been using mine for years and have taken many deer with it. Its actually a 450 marlin barrel with the pre-mentioned breech plug and I shoot 50 grs of 4198 with a harvester blue sabot and a .401 cast bullet. Super accurate. Ive also got a couple of the post 2000 50's done the same way except I use 28 grs of 4227. Not rifle powder. Its a very mild shooter but does wonderfully on deer. Wouldn't trade them for anything. That said.... I would NEVER try to convince a novice to do such.

#50 ·
Yeah, me too. Everyone is free to do as they choose but I know that three Pyrodex pellets in my CVA Accura MR put it at the same level as a 444 Marlin and what won't it kill. It shoots as good as I can shoot and has killed everything that I have pointed it at even with just 2 measly pellets.

So is the whole issue with the smokeless powder just based around the fact that you don't have to clean your gun....or is there more to it? Cleaning my muzzleloader is akin to wiping after I poop...it ain't no big deal!

#49 ·
I can't bring myself to get rid of my old Renegade, but don't get me wrong...I LOVE my smokeless muzzleloaders. Even the conversions far exceed the performance of a BP/Substitute muzzleloader with minimal fear of damage to the bore caused by lack of maintenance.

KABOOMS are just much worse with a smokeless, but the same loading/handling precautions apply to the BP/Substitute muzzleloaders as well as the smokeless ones.

I doubt that my 13 year old daughter would have handled the Omega I had, but she had no problems shooting the 45/70 conversion muzzleloader with a lightly reduced load...200 SST was running 2356 fps at the muzzle.

#51 ·
For the same reasons that the 45/70 Government cartridge went smokeless in the first place.

Faster, farther, flatter, cleaner, and just generally more reliable. And that last point is added with some reservation as I have NEVER had a misfire/hangfire even with a #10 cap on the Renegade all the way to the 209's in the Omega.

#57 ·
Must have been doing something wrong. I’ve been shooting smokeless for years and the only misfire I’ve had was due to hunting in rain for days without changing my powder, ie, my fault...

Reactions: neckisred
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.