Graybeard Outdoors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB .223 Superlight, Extractor Barrel FOUND

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sidewinder_ 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an H&R .223 Rem. Superlight, 20", Extractor, unmolested barrel. Would be willing to buy the whole rifle, if in like new condition, and the price is reasonable. Prefer a barrel with the iron sights on it, if they come that way. I have about half a dozen scopes laying around, so I don't need another. Thanks.

#2 ·
The good thing is the SL did come in the scope only version and open sites versions as well. Check the FAQ page. The 223 has a couple different twist options, 1:9 and 1:12,depending on model year and if it's an ejector or extractor. So not for sure which route you are looking for optimum bullet weights.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Most extractor 223 rem will be 1:9", but there have been exceptions, most ejector 223 rem were 1:12", but 2005-2006 they switched back and forth between the two twists and changed from ejector to extractor on all centerfire rifle barrels by 2007. So best advice if you want to confirm twist is check it with a brush on a ball bearing handled rod.

Tim

#4 ·
Thanks to both of you for educating me on the "Handi barrels". I need it, as I'm pretty much a newbie on all of those details. My thinking is a SL in .223, extractor, open sights, 1 in 9 twist, unmolested, preferably blued, but would take a stainless. Is that expecting too much? Sure hope not...cause, that's what I have my sights set on. (pun intended) Thanks again.

#5 ·
I've never seen an SS Superlight barrel, just regular contour 22" SS. Superlights came with sights, Compact and Youth models which seem to be interchangeable terminoloy over the years, had no sights, just scope rails. So you'll find 20" 223 barrel with and without sights, same for the 243, I've had both, in fact my original 243 Superlight barrel was going to be the donor for a rebore to 9.3x62, but the rear sight holes were waaaay too deep to risk it, bought a compact/youth barrel that had no sight holes.

Tim

#6 ·
Wow! Thanks for all of the information, Tim. One would need an H&R encyclopedia to keep up with all of the different versions of barrels for the H&R/NEF. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick one up as described in my post in the classified section. Personally, I prefer wood furniture to synthetic, even though the synthetic seems to wear better under heavy hunting conditions. Were both furniture options offered in the factory .223 Superlights? Thanks.

#8 ·
Thanks all, for the enlightening information. I have located a 20", blued, iron sights & scope mount base, 1 in 9 twist, extractor barrel, in like new condition, from a member here on the forum. I have sent my USPS money order to pay the agreed price (yesterday) and expect to receive notice it has been shipped to me within the next couple of days. Now.... I just hope it will fit one of my receivers (3) without too much tweaking. He said it was fitted to his receiver by H&R, before they halted the extra barrel program. I'm excited to get one in such pristine condition. I even bought the wood buttstock and forearm off of the gun. Fingers crossed that everything works out as expected. Thanks again, to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.