Graybeard Outdoors banner

6mm Remington Caliber in a TC Contender

6K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Slowpoke Slim 
#1 ·
Does any know if TC ever made a barrel in 6mm Remington for the G1 Contender?
What are the pressure limits on the TC Contender Frame?
I'm asking because a local guy is selling one in 6mm Remington.
Thanks for your Help

#6 ·
The 6mm TCU is a fine round in a 14" barrel. Not sure about the twist rate in a T/C barrel but I have a 1-12 twist MGM barrel that is my best shooter of a the barrels I have. It shoots the 65 grain V-maxs at 1/2" 100yards all day long. With dies available and brass that's cheap it would be a nice barrel to add to a collection if you reload.

#11 ·
Wow, I would think 1-10 would be fine for 100gr. I think Most .243 WCF are 1-10. My 6mm Ruger M77 is an older 1-9 and it likes 80-100 grain pills. Perhaps the shorter barrel of the contender is the problem for the 100 grainers.
Thanks for the input.

#16 ·
I have both a 6x47 (6x222 Rem Mag) and a 6 TCU in Contender carbine barrels. Both are aftermarket barrels. The 6 TCU is scary accurate with the now obsolete Hornady 80gr single shot pistol bullet.

We'd all like to think some "gun plumber", who fancies himself a "gunsmith" just because he's got a 6 Rem reamer he hasn't destroyed yet, and a cordless drill wouldn't do the unthinkable... And actually rechamber something safe into something stupid, but... ?

Let's hope not anyway.

#18 ·
Not sure what you're comparing to?

There is the "original" 6x47, which is a 222 Rem Mag case, necked up to 6mm.

Then there is the "new" 6x47 Lapua, which some folks get lazy when they write or say it just as "6x47", without the "L".

But the OP was originally asking about a 6mm Remington. Which is neither of those. It was based on the 257 Roberts case (which came from the 7x57 Mauser).

Where as the "243 Win" came from a necked down 308 case.

But the point I was trying to make earlier was, that even though no company would have chambered an original barrel in "6mm Remington" for a Contender, it doesn't mean some backyard garage "gunsmith" couldn't have taken a 6 TCU, 6x47 (6x222 Rem Mag), 6 JDJ barrel and done the "unthinkable"... Ran a 6mm Remington chamber reamer down that original chamber and "made one".

So the guy that told the OP that he "had one" (6mm Remington chambered Contender barrel), is hopefully mistaken. But it is *possible*. And also scary.

Hopefully he's just mistaken.

#22 ·
But the point I was trying to make earlier was, that even though no company would have chambered an original barrel in "6mm Remington" for a Contender, it doesn't mean some backyard garage "gunsmith" couldn't have taken a 6 TCU, 6x47 (6x222 Rem Mag), 6 JDJ barrel and done the "unthinkable"... Ran a 6mm Remington chamber reamer down that original chamber and "made one".

So the guy that told the OP that he "had one" (6mm Remington chambered Contender barrel), is hopefully mistaken. But it is *possible*. And also scary.

Hopefully he's just mistaken.
When I questioned the add guy about what 6mm was in this add, he was adamant that it was 6mm REM to the point he told me he used factory 100 grain corelokt ammo which he would include in the deal. I reload for 6mm Remington as I have had a Ruger M77 chambered in 6mm Rem for many years. To think someone would have a barrel re-chambered to a 6mm Remington I'm not sure how the extractor would survive such a modification unless the case base is the same size on the cartridges. :eek: Here is a picture from the Valley trader of the add.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.