Graybeard Outdoors banner

If I could have only one gun?

17K views 83 replies 47 participants last post by  john777 
#1 ·
I still believe a Ruger Stainless steel single six convertible would be the best one for me.

As much as I love double action revolvers and 1911’s make mine a single six if I can only have one.

#38 ·
I would have said Ruger Single Six convertible until recently. Now I am going with a Single Seven, one gun, one caliber. It will shoot 32S&W for small game, 32 Longs, 32 H&R mag, and the 327 Federal which is close to the 357 ballistically. Mild to wild all in one package.

#40 ·
One handgun only? My latest. The Kimber K6s 3" 357 mag. With a hammer.

One rifle only? My 60 year old Marlin Golden 39A.

#43 ·
Have to be my Freedom Arms 83 44 magnum. I could hunt deer, load test and target shoot with the same gun. The same could not be said for my Ruger Mark 3s, 1911s or CC pistols or similar. And it’s insanely accurate, built like a tank and there’s lots of available factory ammo should it ever be necessary to purchase.

#44 ·
The American People must forever retain the Right to own that type of firearm that can best be used in armed combat, such that The People may bring to an expeditious end those tyrants who would deprive us of our God-given Liberty...

#45 ·
Mine woiuld have been my NAA mini revolver .22 Magnum, but we need to be realistic.
My S&W 686 is a little bulky, but will get the job done on man or beast as necesary.

Since we have a noticible lack of brown bear here in SE PA, I need nothing bigger, but that said, my flintlock rifle would be awfully hard to part with.

#48 ·
My 1911 and Win Model 70 30-06 can do it all anytime, anywhere. Like me, they're ready today so we can fight tonight.

Thanks, Dinny

#49 ·
Ok, I'm with this one. Only one - ha! One in each hand, another pair for each hand stuck in the belt and yet a third pair in my hip pockets. Sort of like the Dan Akroid character as a comedic hit man who never reloaded but just continued to produce one pair of pistols after another.

#51 ·
My choice would be my Colt 1911A1. Reason being, I've owned it for 30yrs and can hit with it at unreasonable distances....oh and I have a gazillion rounds for it. If I had another choice it would be my Ruger 22/45 which I have another gazillion rounds. Don't ask what a gazillion is, I've only counted that far twice.

#52 ·
Well, some know I've been carrying a Glock 23 for years.
I just bought a Kimber K6s and ran some 158 grain 357 mags thru it. Not bad.
Then I bought some 125 grainers.
Painfull, I fired 4 rounds and quit.
Back to the Glock 23.

#53 ·
The Glock in 40 cal really hurt my hands. Anything over 38 special does anymore. So I Carry a 380.

Dee maybe you can sell your Kimber to shoot all. He’s looking for a 3” 357.

#54 · (Edited)
I know this is a hunting section but how many of us NEED to hunt to survive. Me? If I had to pick one gun it would probably be a glock 23 or 19. It could defend my family, shoot small game and even close up larger game. Ammo is as easy to find as 22s and sometimes easier. I can load 9s for not much more $ then 22 shells cost using cast bullets(less during shortages) and dont have to worry about the supply drying up.
BUT ONLY ONE?? glock 23 or 19.

Add a rifle? Another no brainer. Ar15 with a 1x4 scope on it or if you don't like ars something like a ruger American ranch in 223 that uses ar mags. Again it could protect my family and take deer out to 200 yards and even head shoot small game.

Give me a 3rd? A 12 or 20 gauge thank you. Personally I don't see a whole lot of use for a 22 and it would be way down on the bottom of my choices. Ok to pot small game but so is a centerfire pistol. Poor for self defense and poor for big game. If it had to be a 22lr make mine a mark II that I can at least shoot and load fast. But in my opinion the 22 pistol is just to much of a compromise unless were invaded by squirrels and there the only animal left to eat or have an invasion of alien beer cans cyborgs.

All that aside what the heck would I do in retirement if I couldn't cast and load?? Lots of other good choices for a handgun. a K frame 38, 1911, any other glock sig or m&p, black ruger ect in 9,40 or 45acp. All much more versatile for an all around gun. Especially if you handload. Ill put it this way. Look at the biggest not the smallest thing you may have to kill and that's where you should start. To much is allways better then not enough and the 22lr is chuck full of not enough.

#56 ·
If my only gun were a hand gun, it might be .22 or a .38.

.22 - H&R 922 or NEF R92

.38 - S&W Model 67 or possibly Colt Official Police.

Simple, effective guns that shoot ammo that's both inexpensive and plentiful.

DCman

#57 · (Edited)
I just looked back at my earlier post wherein I picked the KelTec PMR 30.
Changed my mind. The one gun would be my Ruger SBH .44 Mag.
Reloading makes a big difference in choice. Light loads. Heavy thumping loads. The .44 Spl also.

Actually.....I have responded to this thread multiple times and each response was a different gun. Goes to show how hard it is to just go with one. First was a 1911 with a .22 conversion. then the PMR30 and just now a .44 SBH.
I am all over the place.
How about if I could only have three handguns???

#60 ·
Well, revisiting this thread, and staying true to the question (on a handgun forum).
I have a Browning Buckmark, but an automatic 22 pistol is not very versatile.
I would opt for a 22 cal REVOLVER.
IT will shoot ALL sizes, and brands of 22 ammunition.

#61 ·
I have been boxing up stuff to move after I retire. I have enough 357 magnums loaded to last a long time and enough components on hand to last longer than I will so I am going to change my mind a bit and forgo my Single Six in favor of a 4 inch 686-4. I am 4 for 4 on deer with this gun and I have plinker loads for small critters. My odds of knocking a pheasant out of the sky with my 357 might lead me to just start raising chickens!

#62 ·
Well I'm pretty much in the same shape on 38/357, so that, while not as portable, given my age, and condition, is most likely my best choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.