Graybeard Outdoors banner

Are fiat/ram pickups junk?

11K views 124 replies 30 participants last post by  lloyd smale 
#1 ·
Fiat and gm are still tainted as far as I'm concerned. Are the fiat/ram pickups junk? I have it on good authority that their transit vans are miserable to drive. Is fiat becoming a pickups and SUVs only like ford in the us?

#87 ·
I am on my 2nd Ram. My first one was perfect for 78k miles until I got hit by an idiot. My new to me 17 is just fine so far at 39k. Both V6/8 speed trans. First was a regular cab, new one is a Quad cab. I have had a bunch of Mopar products, including a 69 Hemi Roadrunner and they are about as good as any other vehicle out there. Ford products are the only ones that have stranded me.

#88 ·
my biggest nemesis back in the 70s street racing my 70 ss454 Chevelle was an airman from the air force base and his hemi road runner. We both should have held on to them because we could swap them today for two new decked out pickups. Ive been a chev man since 75 until I bought this ram but truth be told I started out a mopar guy. My first car was a 69 gtx 440 and my first new car was a 73 340 duster that I traded at 2 years old even up for that ls6 Chevelle. That car is what made me a chev man. Were they reliable and would they go 200k? Not a chance but what was or would back then. Wish I had them back today with all there idiosyncrasy's!

#89 ·
My Expedition had a locker that was a real widow maker in icy conditions.

Got to the point it was noticeable on dry pavement. Gave it a healthy dose of friction modifier and it was well behaved thereafter. Seemed lots of Fords needed it, co-worker with a Lincoln Navigator had same problem a couple months later. Dosed it with $20 worth of snake oil and all was well again.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#95 ·
We have a Fiat 500x this is an outstanding small SUV .Gas mileage is in the 30's the 500x is loaded . It is made in that same factory as the Jeep. the same engine and trams. a outstanding car for the money
I've been in one. Hated it. Driver was 5 feet two inches tall and she was cramped in it. Worst first impression of any car I've been in.

#93 ·
I have a 2006 Ram 3500 with a 5.9 liter Cummins diesel motor. It has 270,000+ miles on it and goes like ****. If I keep the speed under 75 MPH on the freeway, I get 18 miles per gallon. It'll pull anything and do it with ease. Also, it has the Mega Cab. That thing is HUGE and I could probably fit most of the Swedish Bikini Team in the back seat. I've owned 2 Fords and a Chevy previously and my Ram beats them hands down.

#98 ·
probably to new to really say but so far I really like this new 2020 ram. Like was said its a crew cab and im used to club cabs and I think you cold play baseball in the back with the seat folded up. It rides better then my chevs did. Seems to handle better, and just feels more solid. Power wize it feels like it has about 50 more hp which is does. Only downside so far is fuel economy is lagging behind by about 2-3 mph compared to the chevs . hopefully it will improver with some break in. Have to take into account though that it does have that 40 hp gain and 391 gears comparded to the z71 silverados that come with 323. I don't drive it much. Its mostly the wife. I get stuck with the jeep jk all winter because shes afraid to drive it. So far she absolutely loves this truck but then she probably likes it becasuse of all the gadgets and do dads to push and play with.

#100 ·
Help me to understand..

If purebred likes his Ram, if Lloyd likes his Ram..somebody else enjoys their Ford or Chevy..or Sherman likes his Fiat 500X, what difference should that make to the rest of us?

I never could see the sense of the decals shown below, no matter who they are meant to intimidate.. If I am happy with my choice, why bother others?

So, help me to understand why we should feel compelled to insult another man's choice ?

Attachments

#102 ·
brand loyalty was alive and well before you and I were born and will be well after it. Be it cars trucks guns tvs refrigerators heck anything you could possibly buy. I guess you wouldn't want consumer guides or any other company that finds out the truth. Theres real world experience here. Yup you have to pick through it but I myself have been steered away form guns I considered buying because someone on here had a real bad experience with them. I guess in the big picture that is THE purpose of a fourm. To discuss things like that and to give your opinion on then that might help someone else form theres. Bottom line is if one of those stickers intimidates you there isn't much hope anyway.
Help me to understand..

If purebred likes his Ram, if Lloyd likes his Ram..somebody else enjoys their Ford or Chevy..or Sherman likes his Fiat 500X, what difference should that make to the rest of us?

I never could see the sense of the decals shown below, no matter who they are meant to intimidate.. If I am happy with my choice, why bother others?

So, help me to understand why we should feel compelled to insult another man's choice ?

#101 ·
You're absolutely correct ironglow. I think the quality of vehicles regardless of origin now is greatly improved from past years. My want for a new truck was first to get away from a diesel engine. 2nd was affordability. From that perspective I went with the Ram. Also the new Rams can tow heavy loads cheaper than their competitors.

#104 ·
Why rax a guy about his truck brand of choice? Really?

Why raz someone about hair or lack there of belly, height, marriage status. Because you can, because if you didn’t have jokes there would hours and hours of awkward silence .

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#108 ·
A better alternative to the original post would have been looking up articles like this...

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/used-pickups-the-best-full-size-trucks-on-the-pre-owned-market/
I agree with you as that at least gives one a basis to work from.
One must remember that trucks, even more than cars, can bring out dudes who diss something just because of the make.

Although in my home town there are independent garages that are competent, may places a Toyota truck is an oddball that they prefer not to work on and a true Toyota garage can be a long, long ways off.

#115 ·
Keeping to the topic, here is an article about JD Powers reliability ratings for pickups:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-reliable-used-pickup-trucks

20 Most (and Least) Reliable Used Pickup Trucks

12) Ram 1500
Avg Reliability: 3.2/5 | Avg U.S. News Score: 8.3/10

The 2019 Ram pickup truck is completely redesigned and highly ranked in our evaluation of full-size pickups. It is the previous generation, introduced in 2009, however, that forms the basis for this analysis. These previous-generation Rams are noted for their exceptionally comfortable ride and plush cabins. Reliability has varied, though the 2013-model-year Ram stands out with its five out of five score from J.D. Power.

Ford F-150 ranked No.13, just behind the Ram

Toyota Tacoma ranked No. 11, just ahead of the Ram

Toyota Tundra ranked No. 8

Chevy Silverado ranked No. 6

GMC Sierra ranked No. 4

Ford Ranger No. 3

Honda Ridgeline No. 1

#116 ·
thanks dave its just what ive found. Many judge them by the pickups made 10 years ago not the ones being made today.
Keeping to the topic, here is an article about JD Powers reliability ratings for pickups:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-reliable-used-pickup-trucks

20 Most (and Least) Reliable Used Pickup Trucks

12) Ram 1500
Avg Reliability: 3.2/5 | Avg U.S. News Score: 8.3/10

The 2019 Ram pickup truck is completely redesigned and highly ranked in our evaluation of full-size pickups. It is the previous generation, introduced in 2009, however, that forms the basis for this analysis. These previous-generation Rams are noted for their exceptionally comfortable ride and plush cabins. Reliability has varied, though the 2013-model-year Ram stands out with its five out of five score from J.D. Power.

Ford F-150 ranked No.13, just behind the Ram

Toyota Tacoma ranked No. 11, just ahead of the Ram

Toyota Tundra ranked No. 8

Chevy Silverado ranked No. 6

GMC Sierra ranked No. 4

Ford Ranger No. 3

Honda Ridgeline No. 1

#117 · (Edited)
I go by the "DM" rating...

In MY adult life, I've bought a few pu's, ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and BY FAR the Chevys have been the most reliable!

Right now I own a Dodge Cummins, Ford 350 and a few Chevy pu's. Both the Dodge and Ford have had serious electrical problems, the Chevys just keep on, keeping on.

You can rename a Dodge anything you want, but it's still a Dodge to me! Here's what I think of them

Then there's the 2019 Ford 150 my buddy bought, at 350 miles it left him walking! My new Silverado has 11,500 miles on it, and it hasn't left me walking even one time...

DM

#118 ·
I know a guy with a new Silverado . Can't keep it out of the dealership because of oil sending unit problems. He never knows if he has oil pressure or not. I only have one truck. Don't know what I would do with more. Especially paying the insurance, registration and upkeep. I guess each their own.🤔

#121 ·
I spent a fair amount of time rebuilding transmissions and axles on Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep products from 1988 to 2009, most transmission work was from 1994 and up. I can honestly say that Chrysler / Dodge had an issue with a particular transmission. They knew of the problem and had a fix for it, but kept building the transmissions with the faulty parts for another 2.5 to 3 years as not to loose money on the faulty part. Myself and 3500 other "Master Techs" repaired some transmissions under warranty...until Chrysler / Dodge got the bright idea the customer could pay for their corporate mistake if they would offer a 3/36 warranty instead of the old standard 7/70 warranty. Even with the faulty part, the transmissions would last beyond 3/36....and so the customer paid for Chrysler / Dodge mistake.

I did purchase a new Jeep while Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep was going bankrupt. Over $10,000 off retail. It was ok, just ok...we had an issue with a seat cover under warranty...The problem was they didn't have any seat covers. The forever fabric ended up being problematic and the corporation didn't order enough to cover any issues. The dealer couldn't help as it was a corporate supply issue. The lady on the phone offered a new seat cover, but it was a different color. I asked if they were going to replace all seat covers to match, she replied no. I replied its not my fault you didn't order enough and I shouldn't have to live with different colored seat covers on a new vehicle. I gave the example of the little girl walking down the street with one blue sock and one red sock on her feet. While the little girl thinks she is stylish and cool, I thinks she looks like a dumb (female dog). The lady on the phone hung up on me...

Counterfeit Corporation and I have no loyalty to any of their products.

#122 · (Edited)
well all I can tell you is ford chev ram Toyota Nissan honda as a matter of fact EVERY manufacture has a service dept. Id bet you could walk into every single one of them across the country and not find an empty one. I chuckle at the "I was smart enough to buy the brand that's indestructible" idiots. Ive been in chev service depts., ford, ram (with my jeeps) and about always had to wait a week or two for an appointment.

Dad drives a Subaru and his tranny went (for the 3rd time) and he had to wait 2 weeks to even have an opening for them to look at it. Then for the 3rd time it was out of commission for almost a month. Whats that say? It says they have other problems to fix. Contrary to what some of the brainwashed think the jap manufactures make a product that's no more reliable today then the domestics. Add to that they cost less and are more technically advanced. Then the hypocrisy of some here who preach republican and trump and how hes creating jobs and trying to even out trade imbalances but what do they do to do there part? By jap cars and support jap corporations. Ever here trump say to buy JAP!!

Comical thing it some think its a badge of intelligence to pay more for the same thing and get something that give you less technology which in turn gets worse fuel economy. Might have been the smart play in the 79s and 80s when American cars were in a troubled period but today they last every bit as long as a jap unit. Get better mpg, and cost less to boot. Whos the smart one?? They guy that adapts and realizes where the improvements are or the one that's still listening to his daddy telling stories of the good old days. Typical guy that bashes new rams that hes never even sat in and lumps them in with 20 year old dodge trucks his daddy bought used (used up). Truth be told daddy didn't know a carburetor from a alternator to begin with and like you didn't buy new vehicles because he never held down a good enough job to be able to afford one.

Comical thing is guys like that are the first to cry when there job goes away because of foreign competition. I chuckle up here. Big iron ore mining area and the mining jobs have been rough up here for about 15 years. Couple of the mines even closed. All the miners scream and cry about America buying American steel but walk out in the parking lot and a good one out of ten vehicles is jap. Not even worth me handing them a cry towel.

Well the truth in it is American trucks SELL. They outsell foreign cars AND trucks and outsell domestic cars. I guess that tells me that im not alone in realizing there just more bang for the buck. I know not everyone can afford one. I feel sorry for the fact you lived your whole life and failed to do well enough to buy what you want and have to justify what you can afford by putting down what you cant. To say you wouldn't buy one even if you were a millionaire. I will just laugh because I worked my tail off to retire with a good enough pension and investments that I can afford to drive what I want within limits. (id love a new Ferrari) Wont apologize for it and will call out the idiots that think they look intelligent putting them down. Just don't see a lot of super intelligent hard working people driving 20 year old rusty Toyota pickups. At least not up here. So pretend you know something that we don't. I know some of you really struggle looking for validation so heres your chance to pretend driving 20 year old jap stuff makes you look intelligent. Just know the only one your fooling is yourself.:tango_face_wink: You drive them because there all you can afford and still have supper on the table. We know the truth. Bash away. You are certainly allowed to prove to everyone here you were a loser.

#123 ·
My son-in-law drives a '62 Chevy 1/2 ton some. It's a very nice truck now. He could have bought ten or twelve of them in the year they were made for what he's put into restoration and upgrades. It will flat blow the doors and maybe the bed off what a stock one would do. Of course it's a big boy toy and only used for that. He drives a 2020 hot rod Camaro most of the time as he's still a kid in many ways.

Vehicles of today make those of twenty years ago look silly in every department you can think of. Economic situations are the only reason I can see for any one driving one or even something older today.

#125 ·
Vehicles of today make those of twenty years ago look silly in every department you can think of. Economic situations are the only reason I can see for any one driving one or even something older today.
words of wisdom. The people you mostly see bashing them are the ones that cant afford them. Only thing more efficient or reliable 20 years ago was us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.