Graybeard Outdoors - Reply to Topic
Thread: Back to Bostwana Tuli Block Jun 2020 and Aug 2020 Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
05-16-2020 06:28 PM
m3taco Quick update - Bots has started to relax their lockdown a bit further. Now, citizens can freely travel within their own districts (think large counties) but still need a permit to move between districts. They hope to drop that restriction by 1 Jun and if all goes well, open the boarders by 1 July.

Qatar Airways opened up bookings from the US to Qatar, then to J'berg with the final leg on Air Botswana. So, we booked our flights Thursday. $1000 r/t with upgraded seats. Just need separate r/t from home(s) to Chicago. Four of us going and could still make room for one more if someone wants to go.

Depart 12 Aug and all meet in Chicago mid-afternoon in time to make the evening flt to Doha. We start flying back on 26 Aug and would be back in Chicago mid afternoon of the 27th.

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the flight details.
05-10-2020 08:42 AM
m3taco Sorry for not updating the status of this year's trips until now. Just so many unknown's and variables.

As most of you probably know, International travel has pretty much been shut down by the WuFlu. Two of us in the June trip had already purchased airline tickets and then a few weeks later, it all closed up and flights cancelled. We were still hopeful flights and boarders would be opening back up in time to make the June dates. Unfortunately, while Botswana has eased it's internal travel restrictions, as of today, the boarders are still closed. So, with only a little more than a month till departing, we decided it was prudent to cancel the June trip. Too many variables in getting there and back right now.

On a positive note, we're still planning for the Aug trip to be a go. Bob is just going to bump over but unfortunately A.D. can't make the change - has already lost too much work time due to the lock down to take anymore time in Aug.

So....very hopeful the Aug trip is still on and have four of us going and would have room to take one more with us if anyone might be interested in going.

Also, I'll be putting together trips for 2021 later this year. I'd like to do one PG hunt to NW Namibia with myself and just two others and one or two trips back to Botswana. Dates for each still to be sorted out but will be sometime between mid May to late Sep and over the prime full dark of the moon weeks. I'll kind of leave the dates open and the first person who decides they want to go we'll work the hard dates around their choice of dates and country.
03-10-2020 05:05 PM
m3taco Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.
Have been asked if these trips are still "on" and the answer is "yes". In fact, booked two r/t ticket for myself and A.D. last week on Qatar Air. Miami to Doha, with a 15 hr layover there and $25 for the overnight there in a 4-star hotel then the direct flight from Doha to J'berg with just a 1hr fuel stop there and same plane into Gabby. Arrive at 5pm and will be "in camp" that evening in time for sundowners and dinner. $1850.00 total for both tickets with upgraded "comfort" seating. Just have to buy two r/t tickets from Tampa to Miami - less than $200.00 total.

Bags and rifles will be checked all the way to Gabby and don't have to mess with J'berg or SAPS at all. We, bags/rifles, stay on the plane during the fuel stop.

Worst case scenario is IF the airline cancels the flights then the airline will ether reschedule or refund 100%. Gerhard will just let us reschedule dates with him accordingly.

I personally believe the COVID-19 is way over hyped and will pretty much run it's course by the end of May or sooner.
02-09-2020 09:16 AM
m3taco Here is a quick update on open spots for the trips.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 – Confirmed (A.D.)
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
Slot 3 – Committed - David
Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 5 – Optional

Gerhard also has the prime PG "dark of the moon" dates open in July. Contact him directly for dates. I'll still help with your airline planning and paperwork if you can't make either of the trips above and book separately/directly with him.
01-27-2020 10:35 AM
m3taco Quick Update:

A gentleman who hunted with Gerhard last Aug also, David, had such a good time, he saw Gerhard at the Houston SCI show and will be joining the Aug 2020 trip. So, here are the open spots.

June 16-25 - Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 13 Jun, arrive J’berg 14 Jun and arrive in camp mid afternoon on the 15th. Start travel back on 26 Jun and you should be home on 27 Jun.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Confirmed (Bob)
Slot 3 –
Slot 4 –
Slot 5 – Optional

Aug 15-25 – Ten full hunting days. We start travel over on 12 Aug, arrive J’berg 13 Aug and arrive in camp mid afternoon 14 Aug. Start travel back on 25 Aug and you should be home on 26 Aug.

Slot 1 – Confirmed (me)
Slot 2 – Committed - Kevin
Slot 3 – Committed - David
Slot 4 –Interested but not yet 100% committed (hunter/observer)
Slot 5 – Optional

If these dates don't work for you, you are more than welcome to contact Gerhard directly via email, [email protected] or via Whatsapp Messaging service +267 75 414 214. He will be at our home here in Tampa 5 & 6 Feb. PM me and I'll give you my cell number and you can call and talk to him directly.
01-04-2020 11:49 AM
m3taco I was asked "What the minimum rifle, caliber, cartridge and bullets" were for a hunt like this.


Minimum caliber is anything 7mm and big as you want to bring. Any of the 7mm with a 140gr TSX or a 308 with 150gr TSX loaded to at least 95% max will do complete broadside pass through on zebra up to 200yds. Will be fine on eland if you put the bullet in the vitals. My point being, don't need the big boomers. The relatively short shooting distances, under 150yds. With the terrane and cover, this would be a GREAT place to take a lever gun from 30-30 and up.

If you go down and read my trip reports for Jun and Jul 2019, all Bob was using was a 308 with 150gr TSX, except he used his 375 Ruger with 270gr TSX for the roan and croc, and my wife and I were using 30/06's with 180gr Speer Grand Slams. I did use my 375 Ruger with 300gr brass solids on the giraffe. In all my trips over to Namibia, RSA and Bots, I've used everything from 308, 30/06, 375 Ruger, 45/70 and 450 Marlin in Marlin 1895's and bolt guns and H&R single shots.
01-03-2020 07:29 PM
m3taco We just need two or three more guys to commit to the Aug trip and pkg #4.

Still have two to three spots open on the Jun trip. The June trip can be either one of the 1x1 pkgs or two can go together and do a 2x1 pkg. If need be, since I'm doing a 1x1 myself, if just one more wants to go and split a 2x1 I'll take the other half of that to make it work. For Jun, I'll also take a spot on pkg 4 but that means a least three more need to take the other spots.
12-28-2019 07:02 PM
m3taco Just a gratuitous Sat evening bump.

The gentleman who has committed to the second spot for the Aug 2020 trip really wants to take Pkg #4. Need at least two more to go and and take Pkg #4. If we get three total to go, I'll take Pkg #4 as well to make the fourth shooter min. required.

As a side note - if you're interested in Pkg #4 but not necessarily the exact mix of species, and numbers of culls and trophies, I know Gerhard will do some exchanges of species and culls vs trophies for the same price and we'd all still the a **** of a deal on a lot of animals. If this would interest you, send Gerhard an email and tell him your interested in going with one of these groups and what you'd like. [email protected]
12-22-2019 02:04 PM
m3taco I've been asked a question from some other forums I've got this posted on. For those not familiar with how the expenses flow, here's a little outline. I understand, this is a considerable about of money, but it is spread out over the course of a year or more and not needed as a "lump sum up front".

a) The first expense will be the deposit that confirms your commitment and locks your spot. This deposit is 50% of the the pkg and extra days and animals you might want to add. This is NOT paid to me. In the past, you'd have to wire it to Gerhard's account in Botswana, but, since he will be at the Houston Safari Club convention this Jan, he his going to open a US based bank account. All you have to do is write a check, make a copy of if and email the copy to Gerhard, write "Deposit Only" and his account number on the back and mail it to the bank. No deposits are due until he gets this account opened by the end of Jan 2020.

b) The second expense will be the purchase of your airline ticket. Once everyone is committed, you'll forward a copy of your passport and the closest airport you intend to depart from and return to. I'll submit all our names to a booking agent I've been using for 5+ years and he'll get us the best deals he can find. Historically, he's been able to beat or match what you can find the same flights for on-line. I'll review everyone routes to make sure we are all on the same Atlanta to J'berg to Gabby flights. If all is good, he'll email everyone your e-tickets and invoice us all individually. Estimate r/t economy airline tickets of around $2000 but will vary depending on where you start from. You can also work directly with him if you want to upgrade to economy comfort, business class or 1st. Important thing is we are all on the same Delta Atlanta to J'berg and Air Botswana from J'berg to Gabby and back.
c) Once we have our airline tickets locked, I'll book rooms for us at the City Lodge Hotel in J'berg. Expect that to be about $150 US or so depending on the exchange rate. That will be for individual private rooms with two double beds and a killer buffet breakfast.

d) Third amount of money will be due 30-days before we leave. This will the balance due of your anticipated package cost.

e) If you decide to take more animals than you originally anticipated, that's fine. You can just settle your final bill with Gerhard via credit card at his house before we leave.

f) Final amount of money due will be sometime later the following year for your taxidermy if you decide to bring back more than just photos. There is really no way to estimate what anyone's taxidermy bill will be because it could range from just dried/salted flat skins and skulls and horn to full body mounts.

In the end, it is still a considerable amount of money but at least this gives you some idea of timing for when and where it needs to go and how the full cost is spread over the course of a year or more.
12-22-2019 09:05 AM
m3taco The gentleman who committed to opening #2 in for the Aug 2020 trip wants to do pkg #4. I'll take one of the four minimum spots required for that pkg so that leaves just two more needed and we all get one of the best cull/trophy deals I've seen.

Still two spots open for the Jun trip and Bob is going to hunt 1x1 and I'll fill 2x1 spot with someone or if three more commit and want pkg #4, I'll fill the fourth spot here again to make it happen for the other three.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome